Your P45, P46 and P60 Explained

Your P45, P46 and P60 are the three most common tax forms you are likely to encounter.  Every employee is entitled to a P45 and P60 by law while you may also be asked to complete a P46 form when you start work with a new employer.

Our guide explains these common tax forms.

Your P45

You receive a P45 from your employer when you stop working for them.  It shows how much you have earned and how much tax you have paid in the current tax year.

A P45 form includes information such as:

  • Your tax code and National Insurance number
  • The amount you earned in the current tax year
  • How much tax your employer has deducted in the current tax year
  • The date you stopped work for that company

A P45 has four parts.  These are Part 1, Part 1A, Part 2 and Part 3.

Part 1 is sent to HM Revenue and Customs.  You receive the other three parts.  Part 1A is kept for your own records and parts 2 and 3 are given to your new employer (when you start a new job) or to the Jobcentre (if you are claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance).

Your P46

If you are starting your first job or if you are taking on a further job in addition to your present employment, you may not have a P45 form.  In this case, your new employer may ask you to complete a P46.

A P46 form includes information such as:

  • Whether you have another job
  • Whether this is your first job
  • Whether you have been claiming benefits such as Jobseeker’s Allowance

In order that your new employer can work out what tax code to apply – and therefore how much tax to deduct – it’s important that you complete a P46 form as soon as you can.

Your P60

At the end of every tax year you should receive a P60 form.  It is a summary of your pay in the previous tax year and any tax that has been deducted. It is a legal requirement that your employer provides you with a P60 if you were working for them at the end of the tax year (5th April).

You will need your P60 if:

  • You want to claim back any overpaid tax
  • You have to complete a Self Assessment tax return
  • You want to apply for tax credits

While most people receive a paper version of their P60, a company is now allowed to send an electronic version if you have given your consent to receive it in this format.  You must have access to secure facilities in order that you can look at your P60 and print a copy for your records.


  1. Katerina arthur says:

    Hello. I was on maternity with one company which I left after my maternity ended. Then I started to work for new company which I have left for family reasons . So my question is where do I get p60 to fill tax credit renewal . Thank you

  2. John Nield says:

    Please why each year does my P60 final tax code differ from the one shown on my payslip when there have been no changes to any area relating to my PAYE?

  3. hughes says:

    what does default mean on p45

  4. Bradford says:

    I have worked part-time for several years for cash in hand I don’t get a wage slip but I am going to change my job to where I’ll be paying tax and NI stamp.What forms if any does my new employer need

  5. Heather Watts says:

    Does an employer have to give a P60 to a employee
    who has left before the 5th April?

  6. Mrs A Wright says:

    HMR&C are asking for tax which they claim was not paid in a previous tax year. I retired on 31st March 2011 and do not recall receiving a P60 from my employer. HMR&C say they are unable to sort this out without a P60 – what should I do?

  7. corrine says:

    My p60 was wrong last year & I asked my employer to correct it. I was informed that it could not be changed once it was final. But was informed that they had contacted HMRC to verbally correct it. I am now left wondering if I leave this employer and years later they contact me again to question it wat proof i would have for my real earnings that year.

  8. Mrs Fiona M Sheen. says:

    I need to know where the figure is for my gross pay on my P60 (2010-2011)?
    Thank you

  9. Danielle says:

    How do you get a p60 if you are not employed on 5th April?

  10. despina michael says:

    i have lost my p45.i live in greece and need to get my tax back

  11. j,gatenby says:

    if you are over 65 and you leave your job do you only need a p40 and not your p60 if you want to chck for any tax that could have been oer paid

Leave a Reply