Will I get a Tax Refund? – The £300 million Question

Will I get a  tax rebate?

Each year more than £300 million goes unclaimed in tax refunds from the Inland Revenue, according to a report by the BBC.

This article answer some common questions on how to claim a tax rebate.

Will I get a tax rebate?
It will depend on how much you have earned and how much you have paid in. If you have had the same job for the whole tax year it’s more likely you have paid the correct amount of tax. If you fall into one of these categories then there is a better chance that you will get a tax rebate:

  • You work part time
  • If you have been out of work
  • Worked while a student
  • Leaving the UK
  • Earn below £6,475
  • Retired from work
  • If you were on an emergency tax code

To calculate your tax refund, just look on your P45 to see how much you have earned in the tax year and how much you have paid in tax and then input these amounts into our tax rebate calculator.

How do I know if I am due a tax rebate?
In April of each year you should be given a P60 from your employer or a P45 if you finish working.

When you have these documents you can check how much you have earned in the tax year and how much you have paid in tax.

Once you have calculated the totals, all you need to do is input them into our tax refund calculator

How many years can I claim a tax rebate for?
You can currently claim for the last 6 years. So if you have lost your job, or maybe worked as a student in the last 6 years, why not check to see if you are due a tax refund? The number of years is going to change soon and we advise you to apply as soon as possible otherwise your refund may expire.

How do I claim a national insurance refund?
If you live and work in the UK you can claim a rebate on some of your national insurance contributions. This is known as contracting out of the state pension. You can read more here on how to do this.

Claim your tax rebate before it expires

Further Reading:

Disclaimer: The above information can not be taken as advice and is for illustration purposes only. Please call Tax Fix before making any claims or confirmation. Tax Fix can not accept any liability for action taken and any losses incurred.


  1. JMG says:

    My ex husband has claimed that i was working for him and earning £450 per month for last few years. I never worked for his company, never had P45 or P60, he apparently gave me a payroll number and used this for his businesses tax purposes. What should I do? Am I going to get in trouble with HMRC? I was recieving Carers Allowance due to my son’s disability, am I going to have to pay all of that back? Very concerned.

  2. Anonymous says:

    i have been out of work since March 16/3, until 3/6/10, am I entitled to a tax rebate

    • TaxFix says:

      Anonymous: It depends on how much you earned and paid in tax during the year. Did you get a P45 when you finished working? If so you can check to see how much your refund will be by using our tax rebate calculator.

Leave a Reply