Where To Find A Tax Return Form

One of the most common questions that is asked about tax in the UK is ‘where do I find a tax return form’?

The simple answer is that a tax return form will generally automatically be sent to you, if you have to complete one.  And, if not, they are available for download from the Revenue and Customs (HMRC) website.

Our guide explains when you have to complete a tax return form and where you will find one.

Who needs to complete a tax return?

There are a number of reasons why you may have to complete a UK tax return.  You will most commonly have to complete your own tax return if you are self-employed, but there are other situations where you will have to file a tax return.  The most common reasons are:

  • You have income from property of £10,000 or more (or £2,500 or more after deducting tax expenses)
  • You are a minister of religion
  • You have income from savings and investments of £10,000 or more
  • You have Capital Gains Tax to pay
  • You want to claim some specific tax expenses, such as large professional subscriptions or over 65 age related allowances
  • Your total income is £100,000 or more
  • You are not resident in the UK

Registering for self assessment

If you are someone who has to complete a tax return form, you will first need to register with HMRC by completing a form.

  • Self-employed – you need to complete form CWF1 to register as self-employed and tell HMRC about your business. You can do this by telephone or online, and when you register as self-employed, you’ll be registered for Self Assessment at the same time
  • Employed – you need to complete form SA1 to let HMRC know how your circumstances have changed

HMRC will set up tax records for you and issue you with a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR).  If any tax returns need completing immediately, you will also receive these.

Where to find a tax return form

Once you have registered for self assessment, HMRC will automatically send you the relevant tax return.  You will ordinarily receive your self assessment tax return in April each year.

If you have elected to complete a paper based tax return, this will be sent to you.  However, if you prefer to file your tax return online, HMRC will instead send you a document called a ‘Notice to File’.

If you haven’t received your tax return or ‘Notice to File’ by the end of April, you should get in touch with your Tax Office.

So, it should not be necessary for you to find a tax return form as you will receive one automatically from the Tax Office.  However, if you need to download a blank one for reference – or, as many people do, to complete a ‘first draft’ before submitting their final return – you can do this through the HMRC website.  Head to hmrc.gov.uk and go to the ‘forms’ section to find a series of downloadable tax return forms.

Leave a Reply