What Everyone Should Know About Your P45

Are you an employee who has stopped working for an employer?

If so, you are entitled to receive a P45 form from your previous employer.  Whether you resigned, left to work for another employer or you were made redundant, your previous employer should have provided you with a P45 form when you left.

Our guide tells you everything that you need to know about your P45.

What is a P45 and what information does it contain?

You receive a P45 from your employer when you stop working for them.  It is a form which details a full record of your earnings and any tax that has been deducted from it in the current tax year.

Your P45 shows:

  • The date you left your employer
  • Your tax code
  • Your PAYE reference number
  • Your total earnings from that employment in the current tax year
  • How much tax was deducted from your earnings in that tax year
  • Your National Insurance Number

The four parts of your P45

Your P45 will come in four parts.

Part 1

Part 1 of your P45 will be sent to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) by your employer.  The remaining parts – parts 1A, 2 and 3 will be given to you.

Part 1A

You keep part 1A for your own records.

Parts 2 and 3

When you start to claim Jobseeker’s Allowance, or when you start with a new employer, you give Parts 2 and 3 to the Jobcentre or to your new employer.

Make sure that you look after your P45 as if you lose it, you won’t be able to get a replacement.   If you have lost your P45, your new employer may give you a P46 form to complete or ask you for the relevant information.  This is so they can pass these details on to HMRC in order that that they can give you a tax code for your new employment.

The law

Remember, that your employer should give you a P45 as a matter of course when you leave their employment.  You are entitled to a P45 by law and so don’t be fobbed off by your employer.


  1. lucie says:

    hi i have left a job about a month and a half ago now. i have asked for my p45 and she said she had sent it, then to discover she had sent it to my last address which she should have updated my details as have been in my current house nearly two years. she is now saying that she is getting her accountant to re do me another one and send it to my current address. i have been told by a few people that it is illegal to send out two p45 is this true if so what do i do? many thanks

  2. Ray Fowler says:

    Hi – Is it possible to send my P45 direct to my my new employers tax office, without my new employer seeing it? I don’t want my employer to see, or work out from the P45 how much I was earning in my last job. Thanks, Ray

  3. Lesane says:

    Hi. I left my job as a part-time staff before signing back on with them after a short while(2 weeks) as a ‘sessional’ staff. I have received a P45 from HM Revenue & Customs.

    I would just like to know if I need to send parts 2 and 3 to my employer or not?

    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

  4. james says:

    does a new employer have to accept employees p45?

  5. lindsey stansfield says:

    I’ve just started a new job & can only find Part 1a of my p45! I haven’t been employed so far in the current tax year (2012/2013). Shall I give part 1a & (take a copy for my records) to my new employer? Will this avoid me paying emergency tax?

  6. about p60 or p45 says:

    Would you be kind enough to advice me on what step to take.My previous employér wont give me my p45 or P60 .I tried talking to them but now they wont even answer my call.

  7. Bev Merritt says:

    does my last employer put their name on my p45

  8. Kim says:

    Should your employer give you your P45 on the day you leave your job having given them 3 weeks verbal and written notice.

  9. nicolas says:

    where can I send the p45?

  10. Mr Dudley Stone says:

    I resigned from my job with my last working day being the 18 november after giving my statuary 1 weeks notice. My employer is refusing to pay me my holiday pay due (£353-00) nor my P 45 as he wants to deduct money from the amount due to claw back the cost of a cement mixer (£180-00) stolen from site. He does not enter into dialogue and of course I do not give my permision for this deduction. What is my legal position??

  11. Tax Fix says:

    Jo – You are entitled to receive a P45 by law and so you should demand this from your previous employer.

  12. Jo Brook says:

    Hi. When I left my last job I never received a 45 from my employer. What should I do?

Leave a Reply