Using Your own Car for Work & Tax Relief’s

We are often asked if you can claim tax relief on repairs or mileage for car travel. This article will highlight some of the main points, if you have any further questions please leave them in the comments below.

Business Mileage
Not all travel counts as business mileage and the Inland Revenue are quite strict as to what is allowed. If you are travleling from your home to your place of work (or vice versa), this will not be accepted as business mileage. Any other mileage (that is not for private use) can be claimed

Mileage Allowance
For cars and vans the mileage relief is 40 pence for the first 10,000 miles and 25 pence for any miles after this amount. If you use a motorcycle or bicycle for your business mileage you can also claim a mileage allowance of 24 pence and 20 pence for all miles travelled respectively.

The total amount of your allowance is deemed to cover petrol and wear and tear on the vehicle you are using. Often employers will pay you some money for the of miles that you travel for work. This amount would need to be deducted from the tax relief that you are claiming from the Inland Revenue.

Keeping Records for Business Mileage
It is important that you keep as accurate records as you can about the mileage that you have travelled on business. The Inland Revenue may ask to see your records to prove the amount of miles travelled. Information about your mileage that you should record include:

  • Dates
  • Number of miles travelled
  • Details of the journey

Remember to keep these records safe for at least 6 years so that you have proof of the allowances that you are claiming for. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask in the comments below.


  1. Joan says:

    I earn less than £10,000 part time but use my own car for business travelling. Can I still claim back the difference from HMRC even though I don’t pay any tax.

  2. Gemma says:

    I’m part time and don’t earn enough to get taxed but Im a community nurse and I use my car all day doing a lot of mile and using a lot of fuel my employer doesn’t pay for any of my fuel or car costs can I claim anything back?

  3. david Powell says:

    I use my car for work/business and get paid 30p per mile. Can I claim the extra 10p on my tax?

    thank you

  4. mo says:

    can i claim back tax for wear and repairs on my car that i use every day for work, we pay for our own bussiness insurance and get 65p a mile

  5. Jason Barber says:

    I use my own car for work i am paid 30p / mile. i have been told by a friend i am ablem to claimback for depreceation on the cars value due to the miles i travel. approx 30000.

  6. Mr P Stuttard says:

    I use my own car for work,i am paid 36p per mile for business miles for being a regular user i am paid £52 per month for wear and tear of the car,i am not paid for any private mileage what tax should i be paying.Thank You

Leave a Reply