Tax Return Help – How to get it

Tax can, by definition, be taxing. It is not uncommon to need help when completing a tax return or organising your financial affairs. This article will outline to sources of help which you can use to overcome any enquiries that you may have.

HMRC (Inland Revenue)

Some may consider them evil, but all the Inland Revenue want to do is collect the tax that is due to them. If you have any questions or queries they are often more then happy to help you and you can often even book an appointment in your local tax office for them to help you go over your tax affairs and to help complete your tax return.

To find your local tax office, all you need to do is use the tax office locator web page:

Enter either your employee reference number, your 3 digit tax code or your local town and the tool will instantly provide you with the contact details of your local tax office. Once you have the contact information you have 3 options:

1. Write

2. Call

3. Go to the tax office

Tax Return Companies

When choosing between a tax return company, ensure that the one you choose is appropriate for any special situations that you may have with your tax return. A company will either charge by the hour or a fixed rate fee. Each have their advantages and most provide a free initial consultation.
If you need some tax help or have any questions about this article, please leave them in the comments.


  1. Peter Owen says:

    Can you offset your personal allowance against capital gains if you have not earned any income.

  2. Andy says:

    Hi can you please tell what the period is for the tax year from which start month to the end month, if I made about thirty grand this yr working for my self do roughly know how much tax to pay.



  3. sarah says:

    my tax year ran 1/8/08 to 31/7/09. I haven’t done a self assessment yet. Should I have done a 08/09 and i’m now late or should i be filling in the one due january 2010?

  4. Brenda says:

    I am on a PSW visa and am employed as a temp for the period of 6 months starting from April 6, 2010 to Sept 30, 2010. My earnings will come up to approximately 6000 pounds for this period.

    Am I in the position to claim my tax back at the end of this period? Also, am I allowed to claim part of the tax at any point within this period?

    • TaxFix says:

      Brenda: If you earn below the yearly tax free allowance (currently £6,475) you can claim back any tax that you have paid. If you have worked in a previous tax year (before April 5th) you can make a claim now. If you want to claim for the current year you will need to wait until the end of the tax year.

  5. david ryan scott says:

    i started work on january the 18 th 2010 to april 24 th 2010 my earnings for that period where 4353.40 the tax i paid in that period was 620.20 , i was on week 1 from the start of my employment to the end of the employment , could you please tell me if im due the 620.20 back in a tax return for that period jan 18th to april 24 th

Leave a Reply