Tax Rebate Eligibility – Are you Eligible?

tax  refund eligibility

This article will help to show if you are eligible for a tax refund from the Inland Revenue.

Who is eligible to claim a tax refund?
Depending on your circumstances you may be eligible to claim a tax refund. For example:

  • If you plan on leaving the UK
  • If you work while studying
  • If you are on an emergency tax code
  • If you are taking a gap year.

How can I calculate my tax refund eligibility?
If you earn below the tax free allowance (6,475 pounds in 2009/2010 tax year) you will be eligible to claim back any tax that you have paid. If you have earned more, you can check to see how much you can claim by inputting your total income for the tax year as well as the total income tax paid into our tax refund calculator.

How do I claim my tax rebate?
You can either submit a claim with the Inland Revenue yourself or you can use a tax refund agent to apply for you on your behalf. If you are submitting the claim yourself, you will need to collect all of your P60s/P45s as well as a P91 and a P85/P86 if applicable. You will also need a cover letter to send to your local tax office. A tax refund agent can obtain all of this for you if you do not want the stress of dealing with the Inland Revenue.

What if I have lost my P60 or P45
You should be given a P45 or a P60 from your employer. If you were not or have lost the one that was given, simply ask your employers payroll department for a ‘statement of earnings’ on headed paper. This will contain all the pay and tax information and can be used as a substitute for a P60 or P45 when claiming a tax rebate.


  1. lesley says:

    On my payslip stands eligibility R2700 duducted R2400 what does it mean

  2. Terry says:

    Last year i was employed from april to nov then spent nov til april claiming benefits, am i entitled to a tax rebate based on the amount of tax i paid in the 1st 6 months of the year

  3. jose a behal says:

    iam i eligible to claim income tax retrun for 2011

  4. Akif says:

    Hello, I am a temporary research staff and finishing my contract next month (spent almost 3 years) and leaving this country to take a job back in my home country. I am wondering to know if I am eligible to claim back the tax. If yes, how and where should I apply for the same.

    Thanking you


Leave a Reply