Self Assessment Tax Returns for 2010

The tax season is fast approaching. This article offers some tips and advice on completing your self assessment tax return this year. If you can not see the answer you are looking for, please do not hesitate to leave a comment below.

Who needs to complete a self assessment tax return?
There are a number of reasons why the Inland Revenue might require you to complete a self assessment tax return. These include:

  • Being self employed
  • Living or working abroad
  • Company directors
  • A minister of religion (of any faith)
  • Income from savings and investments over £10,000
  • Income from renting property of £2,500 or more
  • income from the estate of a deceased person
  • Overseas Income
  • Annual income exceeds £100,000 or more
  • If you have capital gains tax to pay
  • If you need to claim expenses or relief’s

How can I complete my self assessment tax return?
It is possible to complete a tax return yourself if you know how. Alternatively you can use a tax return specialists who will complete the return for you on your behalf. Click on the link if you would like help completing your self assessment tax return online

What is the deadline for completing a tax return?
The deadline for paper based tax returns is 31 October. If you would like to do your tax return online, this can be done until the 31st January. We recommend that you get the balling rolling as soon as possible to avoid any delays in gathering information.

What is the penalty for not completing a tax return on time?
If the Inland Revenue does not receive your tax return by the above deadline you will automatically receive £100 penalty. If also pay your tax late you will charge interest from the date the tax was due until your payment was received.

Need to do a Self Assessment Tax Return?

Disclaimer: The above information can not be taken as advice and is for illustration purposes only. Please call Tax Fix before making any claims or confirmation. Tax Fix can not accept any liability for action taken and any losses incurred.


  1. Sabz says:

    I have been Working in retail (next) for more then two years now, and my first year working in next in 2010 my tax code was BR which means I was getting emergancy taxed for one whole year! How do I clam for my tax return??

  2. la la says:

    Can I file a tax return for Tax year 2011 online?

    I am now registered to fill in tax returns online but it doesn’t seem to allow filing one for previous years.

    Will I have to do a paper one?

  3. Jane Smith says:

    I have completed a self assessment and paid tax in addition to PAYE for the past 5 years. This year I was told I did not need to complete a self assessment as I answered no to all the questions. My circumstances have not changed substantially in the past 5 years and so I did not need to do a self assessment or pay any additional tax during this time. Can I reclaim the £ks tax I need not have paid?

  4. Goofie says:

    Might have put the wrong year on my last question. Let me re-state. Started work asa full time minster of religion in January 2011, do I need to submit a tax return by 31 January 2012?

  5. Goofie says:

    I only started working as a minister of religion January 2011, do I need to send in a tax return 31 January 2012?

  6. Pat says:

    I became self-employed in September 2011 when is my tax return due ?

  7. StephenW says:

    I came across this problem (as I am now overseas)
    “UK post code not recognised” when filling in the on-line self assessment form, as I had left the UK post code field empty. Try deleting any white space in the post code field, then click “save”. Worked for me.

  8. Ben says:

    I am self employed and use my own car to travel to work, how many pence per mile do i cliam on my tax return?

  9. AJ says:

    I am due a rebate of over £2000. I have been requesting the same to be paid directly into my bank for 2 months now but to no avail. I have spoken to an advisor who stated there were no flags on my account and therefore I should wait, even though I had been advised the payment request to bank should be instant. Now on checking my HMRC account it states my repayment with the date 31 Jan 2012? Could anyone shed any light on the matter – will I be expected to wait until then for my refund and why?!

  10. M Mirza says:

    Is working tax credit and child tax credit to be declared in self assessment tax return?

  11. Kelv says:

    My self assessment tas return shows that I owe £1500 class 4 NIC. I am 67 years old. Am I exempt from paying. I am self employed but for the tax year in question my turnover was only £1165.

  12. Paul says:

    What is a SA 3025 form

  13. Norman Webster says:

    My son became self employed from Jan 2011, when does he have to complete his self assessment and return to HMRC, for income earned from that date to 2012.

  14. Jo says:

    I am trying to complete a tax return for a friend. His accountant has done the last one dated for the year end 5th april 2009. What year am I doing the tax return for now as today 17th april 2011.

  15. Ian says:

    do i have to declare working tax credit on my tax return?

  16. Kenneth Ryan says:

    My wife received a self assessment tax form and foolishly returned it even though she has never been self employed,a sole trader or a company director.She has always worked for an employer.She has now received a tax demand for the years 2009 for almost £500.Not only was she retired during that year,she was also under sequestration(bankruptcy)Surely she should never have received a self assessment form?

  17. Kerry Brown says:

    I have been registered as self employed and receive working tax credit for over five years, but have never been sent or asked to compleat a self assessment tax returns form. Do I need to worry about this?

  18. Not resident in UK says:

    When attempting to complete my return, my overseas postcode was not recognised. Please advise the generic postcode that is acceptable. Thanks.

    Linda Scott

  19. JOHN says:

    IsS CIS 4(P)a self employed card with which I van use to claim milage/logging/meal allowances?

  20. Caz says:

    I registered as Self Employed in November 2010, do I need to fill out any forms before Jan 2011?? I still haven’t received my unique UTR number… Confused!

  21. Mrs C Robinson says:

    I became self employed in August 2010 can you please advise when I have to file my first tax return.

    Thank you

  22. lynn bleakley says:

    my father who is 81 years of age . he has income ffrom a private pentions and old age pension all of which are taxed at source. his income from savings is well below 10 000 and is also taxed at source yet he has to do an annual tax return via an accountant and cant ubderstand why. my mother who is deceased since august 2010 who was in the same position also has been sent a demand for self assesment please help me to understand why this is happening.

    • TaxFix says:

      lynn bleakley: HMRC can ask anyone to complete a tax return. If as you say all his income is very straight forward it shouldn’t take him long to complete and he may even be able to complete the short tax return form.

  23. alex says:

    i became self employed in may 2010 do i need to fill in a tax return in january?

  24. alex says:

    when do i need to do my tax return if i registered i may 2010?

  25. Heather says:

    I am trying to fill in an online assessment but I live in Australia. I can never get past the personal details page because it says ‘UK post code not recognised’. I don’t have a UK post code as I live in Australia. How do I get round this? I have tried entering ‘none’ or ‘0’ but it refuses to pass it. My australian address is in view and the postcode box is blank.

  26. sam says:

    why have i got a form sent to me when i havent been self employed for 3 years

  27. Mark says:

    I became self employed in aug 2010, do i need to fill in a tax return this january?

  28. sudi says:

    I want to know about my return check of assesment year 2009 2010wheter dispached?

  29. NEWBIE says:

    Hi i have recently become self employed and I have brought a new car through my business, the company owns the car can I claim for the purchase price of the car?

  30. anne kinnell says:

    i am trying to fill in online tax a foster carer and my total receipts do not exceed my allowance but how do i put this on the form? it has total turnover,then total allowable expenses, do i put in my total receipts under turnover then my allowance under expenses?? help im totally lost

  31. john says:

    Iv been sent tax return forms to fill in for the past 5 years.
    Iv been on bennefits for ill health for the past 20 years.
    non of my bennefits are taxable.
    Someone i was very close too just got investigated by the inland revenue.
    could this be why im being sent these forms and should i just fill them in?

    • TaxFix says:

      john: Are you sure your benefit is not taxable? If the Inland Revenue sends you a tax return form to complete then you need to complete it. There could be a number of reasons why they have asked you to complete it.

  32. jonny says:

    I was working in Japan for 20 years. I came back to UK to look after my elderly father. I received a payment for work done in 2008 in May 2009. I paid Japanese Tax on this lump sum. I am now being told I may need to pay UK tax on this as well. I have been in the UK approx 18 mos. i intend to leave as soon as is feasable. So far most tax advisors I have tried tell me it is too complicated. Could anyone point me in the right direction please?

  33. steve says:

    i am a sub contractor working for a bank they supply me with a car is this taxable?

  34. TEH says:

    I work from home 2 days a week. Can I claim back any expenses incurred such as printer cartridges bought, cost of lighting, heating, etc.?
    Thank you.

  35. P.M.Willey says:

    I received some income from letting a room in my house, but it does not exceed the allowed amount. All my other income is received by me net of tax.
    Do I have to complete a tax form for 10/11?

  36. Anonymous says:

    I work for a company as a self employed sub contractor and am responsable for my own tax and national insurance do I need to fill in a tax return form or self assesment tax form? if so how?

  37. Anonymous says:

    I am self employed and have business premises, a shop, but I also work fromm home in the evenings and at weekends, can I claim allowances for this also? I do all the website side of things at home and I have a seperate room for this.

  38. Anonymous says:

    what is the upper limit for completing the short tax return for income from buy to let investments

    • TaxFix says:

      Anonymous: The Inland Revenue states that you can only do a short tax return if you have income from UK property of under £68,000.

  39. Anonymous says:

    I rent a house out for £525 pcm. This is not the house I live in. Do I need to complete a self assessment tax return?

  40. Sam says:

    It is my first tax year where I have my own car instead of a company car. Am I allowed to claim for servicing and cost of new tyres etc as I am doing quite high company mileage which impacts on the wear and tear of the car?

    • TaxFix says:

      Sam: If you use your own car for business, you can claim 40 pence per mile for the first 10,000 miles and 25 pence per mile for any over this amount. You might find this article interesting about mileage allowance.

  41. Anonymous says:

    do foster carers need to complete self tax assessment form?

  42. R YOUNG HGV DRIVER says:

    my wife as not worked since 1985 should i be claiming tax relief for her

  43. Anonymous says:

    I will like to complete a tax return form online

Leave a Reply