Self Assessment Tax Return 2011

With the start of another year it can only mean one thing….the online tax return season is coming soon. This short article offers some tips on filling out your tax return this year. Remember if you do not complete your tax return by the end of this month, you will be due a £100 fine. If you can’t find the answer you would like, leave a comment below.

Do I need to complete a self assessment tax return in 2011?
There can be a variety of factors why HMRC may need a person to complete a tax return. Some reasons include:

+ Becoming self-employed in the 2009/2010 tax year.
+ Residing or being employed overseas
+ Company owner
+ A minister of religion (of any faith)
+ Earnings coming from savings and assets over £10,000
+ Earnings through renting real estate of £2,500 or higher
+ Earnings due to the estate of a deceased individual
+ Offshore Earnings
+ Yearly earnings exceeding £100,000 or higher
+ For those who have Capital Gains Tax (CGT) to be charged for
+ If you wish to claim expenses/expenditures or relief’s

How do I complete my tax return?
If you know how, it is quite possible to complete a tax return on your own. Alternatively, if you prefer, you can easily use a tax return advisor who’ll carry out the return on your behalf.The advantage of having someone to complete your tax return for you is that they will take all the stress of having to deal with HMRC and ensure that you have the documents that you need to submit all the required documents. Click the link if you would like to learn more about having someone assist completing your 2011 self assessment tax return.

When is the deadline for doing a tax return?
The due date just for paper based tax returns is 31 October. If you want to complete your tax return online, you will be given an extra 3 months and the deadline will be extended until the 31st January. It is recommended that you do not wait until the last minute to complete your tax return as there maybe delays in collecting information and facts about your income, expenses and assets.

Is there a penalty for not submitting a tax return in time?
If HMRC does not receive your tax return by midnight on 31st January, you’ll instantly be given a £100 fine. In the event that you also pay your tax late you can expect to be charged interest from the date the tax bill was due right up until your tax payment had been received.

Where can I get a Self Assessment Tax Return Form?
If you are using a tax accountant to complete your tax return, they will provide you with all the forms that you need. Paper based tax returns which should have been completed before 31st October can be downloaded here.

What is the difference between a Short Tax Return Form and a Regular One?
Depending on the complexity of your tax affairs you may be eligible to complete a short tax return form instead of a full one.

Disclaimer: The above mentioned information can’t be used as help and advice and it is for illustration reasons only. Please phone Tax Fix before making any claims or confirmation. Tax Fix can not accept any liability for action taken and any losses incurred.


  1. tom says:

    I did a tax return jan 2012 but my account said jan 2013 is already done! don’t understand why ive not had one for 2013?

  2. seeta says:

    can i fill the property tax form f.y.2010-11 in this year 2012-13 by online

  3. Suzie says:

    Where on the self assessment form is the student loans box?

  4. Aileen Selfridge says:

    how do I apply for an immediate fast 2011 tax assessment

  5. mick says:

    self employed november 2011 was unemployed from may 2011 when do i submit my tax return

  6. Bob says:

    I hold a directorship but the business has had no income for 2 years and I have not received any personal income from the Company. This tax year I am in PAYE employment. What should I say on my on-line tax return

  7. eileen says:

    how can i print off individual tax return 2011 forms from my computer ?

  8. John says:

    I have a UK company and are paying tax on it. Do I need to file a self assessment and if so do I need to pay morew tax?

  9. Brad says:

    I’ve recently become self employed through pressure from my employer. all my tax is now handled by there accounting company. But when I ring HMRC they have no UTR number for me now recognise me as self employed. How do I prove my tax is being paid and how do I show earnings for home mortgage reasons???

  10. Dave says:

    Question regarding self assessment and mileage allowance in particular. I am a self employed courier and so do a lot of driving/mileage. As driving is my job and i do not have a regular permanent workplace to which i travel to each day indeed i can be going anywhere, am i correct to assume that my mileage allowance may begin and end at home. I do not do any personel mileage. Thank you.

  11. gary says:

    at what date can i submit my 2010-2011 self assesment online? thankyou

  12. Gary Robertson says:

    The online self assessment does not show the 2010/2011 tax year yet when I log in. When will this appear online so I can start filling it in?

  13. Jamie says:

    I need to complete a tax return as evidence for my bank to get prove affordability for a mortgage application, I have 2 questions-
    1. Can you tell me when the earliest I can submit the 2010/11 tax return?
    2. Do I need to pay the tax bill on submission of the return or can I delay payment until before Jan 2012?

    Many thanks

  14. ash says:

    when can i start doing this years tax return?

  15. G Parker says:

    what is the earliest date i can submit a self assessment for 2010 /2011 tax year?

  16. darren says:

    can i claim my petrol mony back from 2009 to 20010 coz i was only get 20 penice a mile can i get the over 20 back

  17. lee says:

    just applied for utr number, how much emergecy tax will i be on untill it comes through. thanks

    • TaxFix says:

      lee: Emergency tax is at the basic rate of 20%. The thing is when you are on an emergency tax code you do not get any tax allowances.

  18. steve says:

    is it the beginning of april when i can do my tax return

  19. nicola blake says:

    2010/11 Tax Return will u be give the 1st of february grace period
    since the penalty regime is changing that is the £100 wont be reduced in line with the tax u owe

  20. Joe spencer says:

    do I need to do a tax return as I have only been self employed since november

  21. Djamel says:

    i became self employed june 2010 when do i need to complete a self assessment tax return form
    thank you

  22. steven chick says:

    am still on benefits,have not yet started work.dont have utr number it hasnt arrived yet

  23. michelle littlewood says:

    ive been waiting for my utr code which hasnt arrived yet only applying self-employment from dec 2010

  24. angela says:

    I became self employed november 2010 when do I complete a self assessment tax return form?

Leave a Reply