Petrol Tax Relief on Car Mileage

Petrol Tax Relief on Car  Mileage

Not everyone knows that if they use their car, van, motorbike or even their cycle for work they can often claim a tax relief on the mileage. We answer some common questions on this subject. If you do not find the question you are looking for, Send us a message

What qualifies for business mileage tax relief?
If you use your own vehicle you can claim for business mileage on any travel that you do as part of your job. Temporary work places qualify but it does not include:

How do I calculate my business mileage tax relief?
You can calculate your mileage tax relief by multipyling the number of miles you have traveled by the approved mileage rate for your vehicle.

Step By Step

1. Find the total of your business mileage in the tax year

2. Multiply this by your approved vehcicle mileage rate.

3. Add up the mileage allowance given to you by your employer, if any at all.

4. Subtract the amount your employer gave you from the amount calculate in step 2.

Let’s look at an example. During the year you use your car for 850 miles for business. As part of your employment contract your employer pays you 30p per mile . Your business mileage multiplied by your vehicle rate is £340 (850 times 40p). Your employer gives you an allowance of £255 (850 times 30p). Therefore you can make a petrol tax claim for £85 (£340 less £255).

What records do I need to keep?
You should keep as much information as you can including the dates/time that you travelled as well as the journey mileage for each work related journey. Make sure that you keep these records for at least 6 years.

How do I claim my petrol tax relief ?
You can claim your tax relief by completing a tax return. We offer a no obligation service and only charge a fee if you are due a tax rebate on your mileage.

How far back can I claim petrol tax relief for?
You can claim as far back as 6 years for a tax relief on any mileage that you have done.

Any more questions? Send us a message, we are happy to help.


  1. Michael Costigan says:

    For some years I have used my own car to travel to and from my workplace (my workplace varies as I work in plant hire). I have been paid 25-27p per mile. A colleague tells me that I can claim tax relief on this. Can you confirm if this is the case please.

  2. joe says:

    i claim 22p mileage from work how do i claim the other 18p when i dont earn enough to pay taxes

  3. Bernard Darlington says:

    For three years I travelled 65ml each way to work. I used my own car but received a car allowance which was taxed at 40%.

    Can I claim tax relief?

  4. V Tunna says:


    Can you claim car mileage allowance from HMRC if you have not paid any income tax/nat insurance in the year you are wanting to claim the allowance? Many thanks

  5. Vicky R says:

    Hi, I got transferred with my job before xmas in which i have to drive to work (i walked before transfer). I didnt realise until today that you could claim for petrol. Is it possible for me to claim for december up too the 5th april and what evidence would i need to claim. As i didnt drive before it has hit the bank balance quite hard.

  6. Frank says:

    is it necessary, with a fully expensed company car, to distinguish private mileage from business mileage in claiming fuel expenses?

  7. Rosy Hicks says:

    I’ve been told that as a domiciliary carer we are allowed to claim from home to work as it is not a fixed location. Is this true?

  8. Francis says:

    I only work part time, and don’t pay tax as my earnings are too low. My company pays 25p per mile for my travel expenses for my own car, Can I still claim back tax on the remailing 15p per mile?

  9. Roy says:

    Hi, due to a change in circumstances I now have to travel to work alone. I have a company car but no fuel allowance and my boss says they can’t pay my fuel. I travel 162 miles every day (81 miles to and from) I am paid under 30k a year so toucan imagine the debt this is having on my employment. Can I claim anything back ??

  10. Rob Reeson says:

    I work split shifts and have to use my car to travel to and from work – can I claim any tax relief – I cover a total of 30 miles each working day

  11. alexandro says:

    MY wife and I work togheter, we have received a company car, do we both need to declare the benefit in kind, or I will have to put this on my wife name>

  12. Zoe green says:

    Can I claim back petrol money as a carer if I’m only working weekends and not earning enough to pay tax?

  13. sharon says:

    where is my nearest tax office ? ts6 9pg

  14. Miss Kelly Rodrigues says:

    I work part time and do not earn enough to pay tax. I put in app £15.00 per week out of my wages for petrol to take the lady i care for out. Can i claim this back? The lady i caref or says no because i dont pay tax. I paid a little tax the past 2 years and then this year i was told i wasn’t earning enough to pay tax.I am paying app £60 plus a month out of my salary which isn,t a lot. If i can how do i go about claiming it? Thanks.

  15. claire vinecombe says:

    Hi i work for a nursing agency and get 0.25p a mile, i travel 60 miles a day can i claim ant money back if so how do i go about this.

  16. leanne says:

    hi i work for a company as a support worker, supporting people with learning disabillities. i often take people i support out in my own car and when we get back from where we have been i take money from their personal tins to pay back my mileage. i have just been informed by a colleague that the miles i claim for should be filled in on an authorized sheet and then sent back to head office who will then reimburst me themselves. also i have been taking 40p per mile and have been told this is too much. could you help me out please and give me some information as to whether what i am doing is right or not. thanks

  17. Dean says:

    Can I claim fuel tax back on a company cae if I get paid back all what I spend on fuel.

  18. kay says:

    what is this mwa that my company take out of my wages but put back in

  19. Wayne says:

    I am self employed. I buy & sell items on EBAY. My question is this :-

    If I use my own car to go and purchase / collect items that I have purchased to sell and or use as part of running my business can I claim back my milage costs and if so how do I do this.

    Lets say I do a round trip of 40 Miles, do I have to ALWAYS get petrol with a receipt of £18.00 on the same day to cover the cost of milage for that trip (40 Miles * 0.45p Per Mile = £18.00) or just record on paper or in a spreadsheet the date, time and milage of the trip for entry onto my tax retrurn at a later date?

    I hope someone can clarify this for me in and put in into laymens terms.

    Many Thanks

  20. Rena says:

    I have to use my own car and mobile for work what am I entitled to claim back

  21. Greg says:

    I travel to work by cycle-which I have been doing for the last 8 years-and is a 15mile round trip. As I produce zero emissions is there any tax relief for cyclists.

  22. Sarah says:

    I personally lease a car through work, £420 pcm. I get paid 30p per mile for work travel and Essential User approx £65 pcm.
    Because I pay for the car and it is a personal lease should I pay tax for it – i think they bill me about 1K per year

    Very muddled!

  23. St.Aidans Community Grouop says:

    We are a not for profit registered charity who run a Disabled Welfare Minbus which is used to transport physically diabled and people with mental healthy care needs for social and recreational purposes

  24. Paul says:

    i travel 60 miles to work each day and 60 miles back, looking below I don’t believe I can claim anything can you please confirm this..idiot proof it for me

    Thank you

    Paul I

  25. Steve says:

    If i drive past my office to go to a site do i have to pay for private mileage as far as the office if i’m coming from home.

  26. Dan says:

    I am employed and the company has purchased a bicycle for me to commute to my normal place of work through the cycle to work scheme.
    As I sometimes have to be somewhere else which requires traveling by car, due to the distance the question arose whether I can claim car mileage from home or only from normal place of work to which I normally cycle.
    Thanks for the advise

  27. Aimee says:

    i work as a community carer and drive around 80-100 miles per day, travelling too and from different residents houses. my employer pays me 24p per mile, can i claim the rest back from the tax man? thanks

  28. jeffrey barlow says:

    i am a paye employee travelling 40 miles a day to work in a factory.
    is there no help available for these journeys or do you have to be self employed?

  29. Carl says:

    I have a company car. At present its fully expensed. What is the best option fully expensed or pay for private mileage?

  30. hamid says:

    I drive into work everyday as i am a engineer. i only drive becuase i have to as i use my car to get around should my company pay me as i would take a train if they had a van.

  31. karen farish says:

    can i claim tax relief on my petrol to and from work.i am not self employed

  32. tammy says:

    how long dose it take to recive your petrol allowance…i have been waiting 7weeks and not heard anything az yet

  33. elaine peachey says:

    My daughter works for a care company. they say she
    has to claim her petrol that used back herself. she is using on adv 50.00 per week for this job, hardly seems worth doing the job but she is really enjoying the job, seems such a shame to leave.
    any advise would help

  34. heather says:

    I have a company car I am told I must pay for my private mileage and keep receipts. I have been told that this is to ensure I do not pay too much for income tax. I have kept a log of business miles and also personal. I have the receipts, however I am leaving and the employer/employee relationship has broken down. Can I provide the receipts to the tax office myself? I am currently on 747L tax code. Please tell me what I need to do?

  35. mr chege says:

    I work as a care worker driving from home to home what form do I need to fill in to claim same petrol money back? Thx.

  36. Neil says:

    i sent in my tax relief for fuel and calculated that I could claim £1149. I sent in the form and around 2 months later all I’ve received is a letter from tax office stating they are changing my tax code from 747L to 862L and I’ve not got any cheque back.

    Letter stated my personal allowance is £7475.
    My job expenses are £1149.
    They have added this together giving a tax free amount off £8624 which is why the tax code has changed for between 6 April 2011 and 5 April 2012.

    I don’t want my tax code to change I want the money I had worked out for 2010/11. How do I get this?

  37. Oliver says:

    Can you claim for Tax Relief every 4 months etc or can it only be once per year at the end of the tax year?

  38. brian clark says:

    if my employer does not pay a mileage allowance can i claim tax relief on all fuel used to and from my work place

  39. Faye cheshire says:

    Can I claim for my last customer back to my house(I am self employed). Thankyou

  40. kyra says:

    I use my car for traveling to work apporx 220 miles a week is there a way i can claim some of this back?

  41. Zak says:

    Hi, I do 500miles work related per week and I get paid 0.38per mile from my company. I use my own car. I kept record for my mileage but do not have any petrol receipts, can I make a claim? and which form do I require?


  42. Steve says:

    I travel 22miles a day to and from work for last for years. I’m a payee employed can I claim fuel allowance have no records just prove of employment

  43. Steve says:

    My partner works as a carer and gets 20p a mile allowance should her employer pay more

  44. Anthony says:

    My employer provides me with a petrol card so I do not pay for my petrol however I am taxed on my petrol card usage, how would I calculate what I can claim back? I clocked up 4907 business miles for the previous tax year.

  45. Gary Swaffield says:

    I am an Estate Agent and use my own car to go to viewings etc, I do not get any mileage allowance, or a car allowance at all, NOTHING! I pay the RFL, Petrol and finance payments. What can I claim back?!

  46. lauren says:

    i have been self employed for a year now and i brought a car mainly for buisness use, i was wondering what percentage i can claim back on the amount the car cost?

  47. victor says:

    i`m working on tug boats full time employment.very often we running our private vehicles between different docks to jobs for my boss and we get nothing at all for that-even not any money for the fuel we use.i could use my vehicle about 1500miles a year for my boss bissnes and get 0 of him.can i claim any fuel expenses on my tax?

  48. bongani sibanda says:

    how do i claim for millage i work as acommunity care worker using my on car and l m paid 25p per mile

  49. lynne lynch says:

    my employer pays me 26pence per mile and has been told we can claim upto 45 pence per mile from the tax office could you please let me know what i have to do as she hasnt found out how to apply. thank you

  50. John Carter says:

    I work as a site manager for a construction company and have been told by colleagues I can claim allowance on fuel for up to the last 6 years ago is this true ?If so how do I do it and what is the cost? I have all my receipts and mileage details what else would I need.