Petrol Tax Relief on Car Mileage

Petrol Tax Relief on Car  Mileage

Not everyone knows that if they use their car, van, motorbike or even their cycle for work they can often claim a tax relief on the mileage. We answer some common questions on this subject. If you do not find the question you are looking for, Send us a message

What qualifies for business mileage tax relief?
If you use your own vehicle you can claim for business mileage on any travel that you do as part of your job. Temporary work places qualify but it does not include:

How do I calculate my business mileage tax relief?
You can calculate your mileage tax relief by multipyling the number of miles you have traveled by the approved mileage rate for your vehicle.

Step By Step

1. Find the total of your business mileage in the tax year

2. Multiply this by your approved vehcicle mileage rate.

3. Add up the mileage allowance given to you by your employer, if any at all.

4. Subtract the amount your employer gave you from the amount calculate in step 2.

Let’s look at an example. During the year you use your car for 850 miles for business. As part of your employment contract your employer pays you 30p per mile . Your business mileage multiplied by your vehicle rate is £340 (850 times 40p). Your employer gives you an allowance of £255 (850 times 30p). Therefore you can make a petrol tax claim for £85 (£340 less £255).

What records do I need to keep?
You should keep as much information as you can including the dates/time that you travelled as well as the journey mileage for each work related journey. Make sure that you keep these records for at least 6 years.

How do I claim my petrol tax relief ?
You can claim your tax relief by completing a tax return. We offer a no obligation service and only charge a fee if you are due a tax rebate on your mileage.

How far back can I claim petrol tax relief for?
You can claim as far back as 6 years for a tax relief on any mileage that you have done.

Any more questions? Send us a message, we are happy to help.


  1. Riggers says:

    Does my employer have to pay towards maintaining my own vehicle if he has no company car for me

  2. hazel fenn says:

    the company that i work for only pay 20 p per mile when i use my car for business purposes, how do i claim the remainder back ( the service users pay 20 pence per mile when they are taken out by the staff in there cars)

  3. ray says:

    I have a second security job i travel 60 miles one way is there anything i can claim ?

  4. Claire says:

    I travel 70 miles round trip to my job as a temporary medical secretary. When i worked for one particular agency they were able to claim tax relief for me on my miles. However my current agency say that i can only claim for mileage thats not to and from work. Can you advise

  5. Diane says:

    If I work a split shift can I claim mileage to and from home

  6. no sure how to do it says:

    how to claim tax relief I am a carer worker 45p mile I done over 12,000miles a year how to fill my form for a car going to work

  7. Jon Daughtry says:

    Am I able to claim mileage in respect to trips taken to a French house that we rent out to UK residents? These trips are undertaken to carry out maintenance etc.


  8. Jemma says:

    I am a carer and get 25p per mile from my employer and claim the rest back at the end of the tax year do I need to declare this a payments in kind/ additional earnings to Child Tax Credit?

  9. nathalie says:

    hi i have a question i go to work everyday and com back home i used to live in france and there you put on your tax form the mileage that has beign done by going to and back from A to B and Bto A everyday that you worked and claimed tax back on that can you do that in england?

  10. Andy says:

    As an agency worker can I claim a mileage allowance for travelling to and from work??

  11. Ann says:

    Hi i have recently started a new job as a community carer so i can travel up to 15 different homes a day i get 30p a mile but i am using £60 every 2/3 days and the 30p is not covering can i claim anything back?? you say i should look see how much i spend in a year but ive not been there a year yet so this is unknown please help

  12. paul says:

    i travel 45 mile each way to work,can i claim any tax for this?

  13. Jen says:

    hi Iam a community support worker and have been for the last 2 years I travel from house to house and take service users out in my own car I spend alot on fule about £40 a week sometimes can I claim mileage back if so what do I need to do I havnt kept any fuel recites but I could properly get my rotas if that helps

  14. Karen says:

    I am a community carer and get paid 20p per mile have filled a form p87 from hmrc for other 25p per mile have heard as not earnt enough to pay tax will not get a rebate my tax code will just change.

  15. jane says:

    i work in community care and have done for 4yrs doing approx. 16hrs per week can i claim

  16. fabio says:

    hi, i travel to work and back about 32miles each day, i would like to know what i could apply to get money for petrol??

  17. ukgadgeuk says:

    ive worked for a company now for 5 years i travel to and from work in my own car appox 50 miles a day each way and some times more after the first 15 miles i get i think 31p a mile one way only can i claim more pretol off of the tax man then and i was told the only info i need is my bank statments wich show all the names of the grages on it is this ture and if so what do i have to do for that im not selfemployd im employd on the cards can you let me no how to claim.

  18. julian says:

    i travel a round trip of 80 miles a day
    to and from work im on minimum wage can i claim back petrol money as i only use car for work