PAYE Tax Rebate

PAYE rebateWhat is PAYE?

PAYE (pay-as-you-earn) is a tax collected by employers when
making wage or salary payments. Your PAYE rate depends upon what PAYE tax code you are on.

PAYE Rebate

If you have been put on the wrong PAYE tax band by the Inland Revenue
(see next paragraph), there is a very good chance that you can claim
a PAYE tax refund. Another reason why you could be due a PAYE rebate
is because every person working in the UK has a PAYE allowance.
Anything earned in this allowance is free from PAYE tax.

How much is PAYE?

It depends. It can be anything from 10% to 40%. Check out our PAYE tax rate table for more details.

What do I need to do if emergency tax affects me?

If you are due a PAYE refund anythime in the last 6 years and want to claim a tax rebate, simply contact one of our agents who will be more then happy to help.

Tax Rebates

apply for a tax rebate


  1. Vivion says:

    Hi , I am a paye employee for a large construction company . Over the last year I have been placed on 3 different sites in the south east .I have driven my own van to and from work accruing best part of 35,000 miles .My accountant has submitted costs and subsistence for £8331 pounds , how much can I expect to receive from that ?.

    Kind regards

  2. bill says:

    i work for a company i am fully employed but i have to supply ALL my own ppe and my tools is there any chance off gettin a tax rebate for this?

  3. Adam says:

    Hi, i have recently gone self employed, can i get a rebate from my paye previous job? Thanks

  4. Stephen says:

    I work and I am taxed PAYE
    I also have a pension from a previous employer – which is taxed
    My wife is retired and receives a state pension
    My wife also as a small pension from a previous employer.

    I have recently been informed I owe tax from 2 year ago. But several years previously I received a tax rebate afetr contacting a tax-claim company. It all seems so complex & I feel as though I am being ripped off.

  5. Gary says:

    I’m a employed scaffolder and have to buy all my own tools ppe and workwear can I get a rebate for this

  6. MR D says:

    Hi,i was wondereing if i can make a claim for tax back on the info below.Im PAYE.
    1.DAYRATE £225 X 5 DAYS
    3.RAIL FARE £70 A WEEK.

  7. michael says:

    i am an employed carpenter and have to supply my own tools. Can i claim tax back on them?

  8. Angie says:

    I have been working for a main retail chain and have to wear smart clothing/suits in my role as a manager. I wear casual clothing on an everyday basis when not at work. I spend approx £200/£300 a year on “work clothes” so am i entitled to any tax rebates due to the costs of buying them and having them launded ?

  9. Vaidas says:

    I worked through agency’s on TEMP contracts (PAYE). Can I get my tax refunded. I spoke with me colleagues at work they said for example if my tax code is 747L it means that my total salary has to be more than 7470pounds at the end of tax year. But if I didn’t earn that much money is there any possible way get refund for my taxes?

  10. Pauloconnor says:

    Hi there alot of my work mates have been receiving tax returns dating back 5years for expenses for traveling and public transport ,petrol etc through paye I was wandering if you’d felt with such things

  11. Mike says:

    Hi – what documents would you need to support a tax rebate claim? I was paying PAYE over two tax years and have a P45 for that job, but at the end of the first tax year I was working I wasn’t given a P60, which makes things trickier. I do have most if not all of the payslips from that job, though since they were at weekly intervals there’s a fair few of them. I doubt I’ll be able to convince my old job to send me a P60 now, since I seem to remember it’s company policy to erase employee data after we leave.

  12. Anonymous says:

    I am a university student on a industrial placement for a year I will be earning under 15k for the year but my last 3 pay slips have been taxed by 10% PAYE along with NI as well I was under the impression I didn’t have to pay tax until I earned over 15k and if so how can I claim this and stop it next month.

  13. Sushan says:

    HI, My fren went back to his country after living around 3 years, so can he claim his paid tax? If yes, how it can be done and what is the charge for your service/.

    Thank you

  14. Cyril priestley says:

    i have been made unenployed since 9th march i have never been out of work for over 20 years will a get a rebate

  15. ann says:

    i am 18 years old and my tax basis is E i am getting charged PAYE can i claim all my money back at the end of the year?

  16. ann says:

    i am 18 years old and my tax basis is E i am geting charged PAYE can i claim that back after a year?

  17. ian says:

    my employer charge me to use a company van can i claim tax back on paye

  18. anthony simpson says:

    when will i recieve my tax rebate i had a letter to say i was due 137 pound when will i recieve this

  19. ying says:

    do i need to pay emergency tax if i work 25hrs/week and do selfemploy too or which kind of tax do i need to pay.thank you

  20. david jeans says:

    I am PAYE working 60 miles from home . can i claim back my diesel

  21. ronnie says:

    I am in full time employment (paye). I am being supplied a van from the company i work for, but do not get fuel or tool allowance. Is there any chance of claiming for these..

  22. colin mccartan says:

    I want to find out if im due a tax rebate for last 6 years but have not got my p45 or p60 for these years, is there any other way i can find out if im due one and how to claim for it?

    • TaxFix says:

      colin mccartan: If you do not have your P45 or P60, you can write to your employer that you were working for at the time and ask for a statement of earnings on company headed paper which will act as a replacement for a P60/P45. If you need help obtaining this we have a template letter you can use, just Email us on: to receive a copy.

  23. simon says:

    i am going self employed can i claim any tax back from being paye

  24. Anon says:

    My friend who runs her own business has not paid paye tax from her employees to the government for approx 4 years and obviously the staff have had these amounts deducted out of their wages. As far as I know the IR are chasing her but she just keeps avoiding them?! Anyway, I just wondered what the penalties are for this and what s likely to happen to her.

  25. kev says:

    Could I claim for fuel? I do aprox 10’000 miles a year, just to get to work

    • TaxFix says:

      kev: You can not claim any mileage for going to work. You can only claim for places that are not between your home and place of work.

  26. lee says:

    I have worked for a company since 2008. The name of the company has changed numerous times I think as a result of bankruptcy. I was given a p45 in march with a date on as october 31st 2009. However I have never left & the company renamed itself in January 2010. The paye ref no changed & from feb-mar my payslip shows I have earnt 4218.45 gross to date??? I only work part time & earn 74.40 a week?? Has this been added to the figure I earnt when it was a different company?? I also have another part time job & have paid emergency tax on both jobs since 2008. Is this right??

    • TaxFix says:

      Lee: I would try and reconcile the amounts from your wage slips with the P45. You can also write to your employer and ask for a statment of earnings for the years you have been with the company. If you have a second job, this should usually be emergency taxed.

  27. Anonymous says:

    how much will you charge to reclaim £1689 from PAYE with tax code 647L?

    • TaxFix says:

      Anonymous: We only charge a fee if and when we get your tax refund. When we do get a refund for you we only charge 16.8% if you send in your application within 14 days of applying at:

      If you send in your application after 14 days of registering at the address above, we charge 18.9%.

  28. Anonymous says:

    I am currently employed as a joiner. would it be possible to claim a tax refund on my van and deisel and any other items i have to buy for my job (tools, workwear,)

Leave a Reply