P60 & Tax Rebate – How to check

Every year you employer is required to give you a P60.

This document shows how much tax you have paid during the year and how much income your have earned.

This article will help to answer some common questions around P60’s and how to check them for a tax rebate.

  1. When do I get my P60?
  2. How do I get a replacement P60 if I have lost mine?
  3. How do I check my P60 for a tax rebate?
  4. What do I do if my P60 is wrong?

When do I get my P60?

Every year when the tax year finishes (April 5th) employers need to give you a statement of your income and tax paid. This is your P60.

Your P60 should be automatically given to you by your employer between April 6th and 1st June.

If you have not received your P60 after that the 1st June, you should contact your employer to find out why they have not given you one.


How do I get a replacement if I have lost mine?

If you need to get a replacement P60 because you have lost the one given to you from your employer or you were not given one in the first place, then there is a relatively simple procedure to get one.

All you need to do is write to your employer and ask for a ‘statement of earnings’ on company headed paper for the tax years that you worked. We have a template letter if you would like a copy, Email us on: templateletter@taxfix.co.uk and we can send you one.

A statement of earnings will be accepted by the Inland Revenue as a replacement for a P60 or P45.


How do I check my P60 for a tax rebate?

Your P60 should look similar to the image below:

There are two boxes which have ‘total for the year’ written next to them and ‘Tax’ and ‘Pay’ above them. You can see a clearer image of where these are located on the P60 below:

Take the amount from the Green box and input it into our P60 tax calculator in the section called ‘Pay for the year’ . Note the amount from the blue box and input it into the ‘tax deducted’ section in the calculator. Then press ‘Calculate’ and the P60 tax calculator will determine if and how much your tax refund is for the year.

You can repeat this for the last 6 years, as this is the current deadline for making any claims. (These deadlines are changing so we suggest that you do not wait too long!)



What do I do if my P60 is wrong?

If there is a mistake on your P60 you should contact the payroll department of your company to notify them of the mistake. They may be able to provide you with a corrective version of your P60. It is their responsibility to ensure that they have the correct data and information about you.

You can check to see if you P60 looks reasonable by comparing it to the wage slip given to you just before 5th April (the end of the tax year).

Your wage slip should tell you a ‘YTD income’ and ‘YTD tax’. This is the amount of income you have earned so far in the year and the amount of tax you have paid. These number should be smaller then your P60 numbers by a few weeks. You can factor in the extra weeks of income and tax to get a more accurate representation.



  1. Catherine says:

    My p60 doesn’t add up when compared to my monthly payslips. Also there are a lot of mistakes on my payslips, including the dates being wrong and the yearly income and tax to date being wrong. What should I do?

    • DavidTaxFix says:

      You could ask your employer to reconcile the payslips and P60. They are required by law to correct any inaccuracies.

  2. Gillian Wells says:

    My employer has incorrectly entered my forenames as my surname and my surname as my forename. How do I get this mistake corrected on my P60 as my employer maintains that as my N.I. number is correct I needn’t worry. Surely this will conflict with previous records of employments and tax paid etc.?

  3. Maria says:

    I just recived my P60
    It should be for 2011-2012 but on it is saying TAX YEAR TO 5 April 2011
    It seems like all earning details are correct just the detail about tax year.
    What should I do?

  4. Merry says:

    If all employees work less than 16hrs per week and earn under £118.00 per week. why has the P60’s got nil earnings. surley it should show the earnings.

  5. Amie says:

    my partners p60 hasn’t got the total earnings for the year on it only the total for the job that he started at the end of the tax year? How do I get it right.

Leave a Reply