P60 Replacements

You will only be given a P60 if you were working for an employer on the last day of the tax year (April 5th). If you stopped working for an employer before the last day of the tax year, you should be given a P45 instead.

A P60 is a statement given to you by your employer which shows the amount of tax that you have paid during the tax year and the amount of income that you have earned. They may be other information on your P60 include your unique PAYE tax reference number, your tax code and your name and other personal details.

There are a number of reasons why you may need a P60, they include:

  • Claiming a tax rebate
  • Child support
  • Student loan
  • Proof of earnings
  • Tax credits

How to obtain a Replacement for a Lost P60

Often people loose or are not given a P60 and need to get a replacement. It is not actually possible to obtain an actual replacement of a P60, it is possible to obtain a document that can be used as a replacement though, this document is a statement of earnings.

To obtain a statement of earnings you need to write to the payroll department of the company that you would like the replacement P60 from. We can send you a template letter which you can customise, simply send us an Email using this: template.

The company is legally required, under the data protection act, to provide a statement of earnings for any time in the last 6 years. Let us know if you have any questions in the comments below.


  1. Zoe says:

    I didn’t have an employer in the last month of the tax year 13/14. I left work in February 2014 and started another job on the 7th of April, 2014. Would I get a P60 at all in this case? Which employer would be able to provide me with one?
    Thank you for your help.

    • DavidTaxFix says:

      As you were not working on the last day of the tax year, you would not be given a P60. You should have been given a P45 instead from your employer that you finished working with. If you were not given a P45 you can ask your employer to provide a statement of earnings on company headed paper which can be used as a replacement.

  2. Trudy Buckroyd says:

    I’ve lost my P60 and for the year 2012-2013, but the business no longer exist anymore, I need this to support a student loan application.How can I get a copy?

  3. Rob says:

    I lost my p60 2011/12 and had 6 different employers what can I do

    • TaxFix says:

      You should only receive a P60 from employers that you were working for on the last day of the tax year (April 5th). If you are missing a P60 (or P45) for any employer you can write to them and ask them to provide a statement of earnings.

  4. Giuliana says:

    My dad is retired & 76yrs old. He gets a P60 yearly from Legal & General with his pension incomce amount then the tax amount they deduct. Dad retired at 65 & had a part time job till 67 not worked since. why do they deduct the tax or how do they calculate the tax he should pay? whilst he worked he always paid tax. He is getting confused as they seem to be taking more from his pension amount in tax deductions, any help or answers would be great.

  5. gary jones says:

    I need a p60 from 10 years ago but the company no longer exists

  6. Bernie says:

    Hi, I lost my P60 form and have asked my former employee for replacement for 2 years. They have asked for £50 + VAT for the 2 P60 to be emailed to me. Are they allowed to charge me for copies of my own P60’s?

    • TaxFix says:

      Bernie: They can charge a ‘reasonable’ amount for a replacement. Usually this is only around £10. £50 seems like a lot.

  7. Toni Watson says:

    Can my past enployers legally charge £25 for a replacement P60 and final pay slip?

  8. Dennis King says:

    Lost P60 for 2009/2010 company no longer there i need p60 for tax returns how do I get one thanks

  9. abraham bruwer says:

    My employer want to charge me £20 for replacement P60s for the past 5 years. Can they do this?

  10. Abraham Bruwer says:

    I need to proof my income for the last 5 years and my employer want to charge me £20 to give me copies of my P60s or proof of income. Can they do this?

  11. karen says:

    hi i work for the NHS & i am being made redundant after 22 years, when i first started i worked for north derbyshire health authority for 4 years then they got taken over by the NHS trust which i have worked for the last 18 years now they are closing the unit, but i need to obtain proof that i worked for north derbyshire health authority for the first 4 years, for my redundancy as they say records dont go back that far & i dont have my old p60s so is there any way of getting hold of them

  12. Fiona says:

    My employer is asking £25 for a lost P60 Is this legal?

  13. stacey says:

    it has a total pay to date and a total pay for tax to date on my wage slip cani use those figures on my tax credit forms?

  14. Jamie says:

    I need to get a P60 or my first payslip from over 13 years ago, is that possible as companies are only required to keep legal docs like that for 6 years?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  15. Anthony Lintern says:

    I can’t get hold of a payroll as the company has gone bust what do I do?

  16. Paul says:

    Can i get a replacement P60 from t inland revenue

  17. Richard Harker says:

    How would I get a P60 or statement of earnings if the company I worked for has gone bust? I need it as I believe I have overpaid student loan and they will not do anything about it unless I prove it.

  18. rosie says:

    can the payroll company charge a fee for p60 and wage slips ?

  19. mary says:

    the company i used to work for has gone bankrupt and i’ve lost my p60 what can i do.

  20. paul grant says:

    the copies of accounts where distroyed in 2008 flodds . i do not know how to find out my earnings for 20004-20005

  21. Jake says:

    I have asked her to do this and she says she has sent one in the post. But i havent recieved anything and now she says she is not sending another one at the moment because she is to busy. i recorded the phonecall because what she is saying must be illegal but i dont know how to act on it. im sick of her and everyone else is a workmate had the same problem and needed a replacement P60 to claim tax credits and she told him he didn’t deserve tax credits and that he was a scrounge!! Any help would be really appreciated

    • TaxFix says:

      Jake: She is required under the data protection act to provide the information. You can take your case to the data commissionaire if she refuses.

  22. Jake says:

    I rang my employer and ask for a replacement p60 or a a statement of earnings but this woman is a total b****!! she keeps saying she cant give me one and just says i shouldn’t have lost it in the first place. I know what she is doing is illegal but i don’t know what to do or say to put her in her place

    • TaxFix says:

      Jake: You can tell her that you would like a statement of earnings on company headed paper, this can be used as a replacement for a P60. You can tell her that she is required under the data protection act to provide this for you.

  23. Charlotte says:

    I worked for my last employer from the 14-04-2009 to 29-01-2010. Should I receive a P60? If so, they are refusing to do so. What do I do?

    • TaxFix says:

      Charlotte: No you shouldn’t get a P60. You only get a P60 if you were working for the company on the last day of the tax year (5th April). You should be given a P45 though.

  24. Graham says:

    My wife is retired, she is 62 but she has not received her P60 for this year & needs it before the end of this month, how can she get one in time?

    • TaxFix says:

      Graham: She can write to her employer and ask for a statement of earnings on company headed paper, which can act as a replacement for a P60.

Leave a Reply