Non UK Resident Tax Refund

Non UK resident tax  refund

If you are a non UK resident and have paid tax while working in the UK there is a good chance that you can make a claim for a tax refund. This article highlights some of the most common questions around the subject. If you were unable to find the question you were looking for, please Email our team:

I’m leaving the UK to become a non resident, can I claim a tax refund?
Yes. If, before leaving the UK, you have worked and paid tax you will be able to claim a tax refund as you are leaving the UK part way through the tax year. You can make a claim by applying here.

I’m a non resident working in the UK, can I claim a tax refund?
If will depend on your situation but if you have paid income tax to the UK government you can make a claim when you leave the UK for a refund on a proportion of that amount. You can make a claim by applying here.

How do I calculate my non resident tax rebate?
If you have worked in the UK you should have been given a P45 when you stopped working. The P45 will show how much you earned and how much you paid in tax during the year. Take these two amounts and input them into tax rebate calculator.

Is there a time limit on claiming a tax rebate?
There is a 6 year time limit on your tax refund. If you fail to claim your tax refund before then it will expire.

Can I claim a National Insurance rebate as a non resident?
No. You must be a resident in the UK to make a claim for a national insurance rebate.


  1. evan says:

    i live in thailand, and am married to a thai women, but i currently wor offshore in the uk, approx 100 days per year, although time spent actually in the uk is about 12 days tops, in between flyin offshore and back to thailnad, should i be gettin any tax relief or am i fully uk taxable??

  2. babu says:

    i am going back to Inida. i am here for 9 1/2 years in UK.i entered as student, i am working part and full time these days.can i claim my whole tax. please help me.

    thanking you


    • TaxFix says:

      Babu: If you are leaving the UK you will be able to claim a tax rebate. When you stop working you should be given a P45. When you have your P45, you can make your claim here. You won’t be able to claim all of your tax back, just an overpayment.

  3. jan says:

    I am non UK residents and worked partly in the UK water on rotational base on a drilling rig (offshore,total 51 days in UK waters) and partly in Singapore on rotational base(office,total 113 days in Sg)and the rest I was in home (The Netherlands, total 200 days) during this whole tax year 2012/2013 I paid tax in the UK.
    My questionis, can I claim partly tax back from UK because I was only 51 days working here.

  4. Sophie says:

    I am a non resident from NZ working in London on a two year visa. When I leave to go back home is it correct that I can claim back my National Insurance that I have been paying?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated

  5. lucrese says:

    Hi am an international student been working during my time in UK , finished my study went on post study worker visa and been working full time , am now leaving for good. can I claim all the taxes I have paid for 6years ? If I can , I do not have a p60from my previous employers , I will get a p45 and what Do I do to get for the previous years

    • TaxFix says:

      lucrese: The time limit to make a claim is 4 years, so this is the maximum you could claim for. Usually you can’t claim back all of your tax. The amount depends on how much you have earned and paid in tax for each eligible year.

  6. veronika says:

    im from slovakia i live and working in UK for 3 years now can i ask for a tax refund even if i staying in this country?

  7. adriosis says:

    i am not resident, working in UK. can i form my own LTD? Do i need national insurance number and UTR number?

  8. mike says:

    I am looking to start working offshore as a construction saturation diver and am wanting to find out the tax implications of working on an Offshore Workers Visa?

  9. iresha says:

    i have worked in uk for 18months and left uk for good.i am a srilankan.can i claim all my tax back as i worked and left the country within 2 yrs.

  10. nab says:

    hi…just wondering…i work in the uk for nearly 10 years now and think of leaving….can i claim back any tax or national insurances before i leave to go back to my country

  11. shaoib satti... says:

    i spend 3years in uk as a student from 2006 …now i m back to PAKISTAN from 2009…i paid a tax to uk govt almost three years i have all the receipt of tax return…so my question is that can i eligible to claim my tax return to uk govt after 3 years…..?

  12. Maurizio Lanzara says:

    I am resident and paying tax in the UK as my employer is UK based but, working as a consultant, I spend most of the year (>6 months) abroad in business trips. Is there any tax relief in this case? Thanks

  13. J Silva says:

    I work offshore oil&gas in UK waters i am Portuguese living in Portugal and pay UK tax. My question is can i claim back my National Insurance because i am not interested in UK state pension, i have a private pension paid by the company.


  14. andrew peroti says:

    I am a non uk resident living in the uk,i am a dutch national. I would like to know if i could claim tax back when i decide to leave the uk.I have been living in the uk since october 1995,for how many years can i claim? Thanks

  15. Victoria says:

    To whom it may concern,

    I am leaving the UK and I am suitable for a Non UK Resident Tax Refund.

    I would highly appreciate it if you could let me know wheather the money could be paid onto a European Bank account.

    Thanking you in advanced and looking forward to hearing from you,


  16. Tony says:


    I have worked on a post-study work visa in the UK from August 2009 to November 2010 and would like to apply for the National Insurance rebate for this periode. I have left permanently the UK in December 2010.Before leaving the UK I was told by an advisor from the HMRC that this was possible from abroad.Now that I have left, can I still apply for it ? I just want to make sure.

  17. rohan says:

    i am a nepali resident living and working in the uk for the last 5 years.i have paid ni and tax regularly to the tax office.i want to return to my country for i able to claim any of those contributions back?

  18. Mary says:

    I’m get a personal loan from the UK do I have to pay Non UK Resident Tax ? I’m in the USA/
    Thank you, Mary

  19. George says:

    I have been non resident for UK tax for the past 6 years and have completed self assessment forms for each of these years. All have been accepted by HMRC. I now intend to return to work in the UK. What actions are necessary to achieve this?

  20. yogesh says:

    I have come to UK on tier2 company sponshored visa. My duration of stay in UK is around 170 days. Do I need to pay tax and please help me with the tax calculstion process.

  21. gurmeet singh says:

    I came to UK in the year 2005 and worked here on work permit . I hold an Indian passport and got my permanent residency last year 2010 in Feb. Can I apply for my non resident tax refund for all six year from 2005-2011.

  22. Mary says:

    I’m getting personal loan and now have being told I have to pay a non-resident tax of 450.00 on 4500.00 I’m in the USA
    is this true?
    thank you , Mary

  23. Kim Camilleri says:

    Hi I wonder if you could please help me. I am South African and had a working/holiday visa for the UK and was there January 2009 – January 2011. I want to find out if I can and how I go about transferring my national insurance into a pension scheme either in South Africa or in the UK that I will eventually be able to claim. I had a NI number for the full two years that I was there.

    Am I able to claim both years NI or only the last year? If I am able to transfer my pension I have to do it before the end of tax year, which is beginning of April?

    An urgent response will be much appreciated.

    THanks for your help


  24. luciano says:

    Come posso ricevere una vincita se non sono Inglese

  25. Benny k says:

    If you live and work in the UK on a limited leave as a student for more than six years, what are the chances of getting tax refund and NI rebate especially when you leave the country? When I do the NI rebate application will it be applied retrospectively too?

  26. Jasmin Custovic says:

    My name is Jasmin Custovic,and I em employe of Vroon offshore company.My place of residency is in Croatia -Dubrovnik and I em non-resident in UK.

    For tax year 2009/2010 I was all together 127 days on board a ship, from 127 days I was 99 days in dry dock in Grangemouth.
    My ful income in 09/10 was about 20 000 £ and on that amount I paid 3000 £ of tax on it.
    From the papers I have some air plain tickets,Certificates of Discharge,seamans book,passport and P60
    For tax year2010/2011 I will have more then 183 days on board a ship,and from that I was 58 days in Grangemouth,2 days on boatman course,5 days on OPITO course and this trip we will be 11 days in Leith dry dock in Edinburg.Nex trip I will have a foreign crew exchange in Norwey.I will have the same papers like above,my full income for this tax year will be around 25 000 £ and less tax about 4000 £.
    Can I bee your client and can you please help me to get tax back.


  27. Amanda says:

    I would like to claim my tax back as I have now left the UK for good (left in August. I have the relevant paperwork, but I am already living overseas (Thailand). Are you able to send me my rebate to my current address here.

  28. girish says:

    i never received my p45 for my first half of the year so how can apply for tax refund

  29. Artis says:

    I am a 24 years old Latvian and have worked here for last two and a half years, and I have to go home because my parents are not well, and my quesion is can i clime my all tax and national insurence back if i leave and i dont came back to work anymore or never again?

    • TaxFix says:

      Artis: If you are leaving the UK you are entitled to claim a tax rebate. When you finish working you will be given a P45, when you have this you can apply for your tax rebate here. The amount of your tax rebate will depend on how much you have earned and how much you have paid in tax during each tax year you were in the UK.

  30. crowand says:

    I am a British citizen and hve been living in the Republic of Ireland for the last 16 yrs. I now plan to take a lump some from a pension plan 25% tax free the rest will be taxed on emergency code as earnings could you give some advise as to how i claim back.

Leave a Reply