Non UK National Tax Refund

Non UK national tax  rebate

Every year over £300 million goes unclaimed in tax refunds from the Inland Revenue. If you are a Non UK national working in Britian, you may be able to claim a tax rebate. We answer some of the most common questions on this subject, if you can not see the answer you are looking for, please do not hesitate to contact us:

I am a Non UK national working in England. Can I claim a tax rebate?
As a Non UK national there are a number of reasons why you might be due a tax rebate. For example:

If you think you might be due a tax refund you can call free on 0800 955 2829 to discuss your situation further.

How can I calculate my tax rebate?
Every April, when the tax year finishes, you should be given a P60. Alternatively when you finish working for your employer, they should provide you with a P45.

Simply take the ‘Gross pay’ figure from the P45 or P60 and type this number into our tax rebate calculator . Do the same for the ‘total tax paid’ and then press on ‘Calculate’. The tax calculator will give you an estimate of the tax refund you will be due.

What if I do not have a P60?
If you do not have a P60 or P45 you can still check and claim a tax rebate from the UK government. You need to ask your employer for a statement of earnings on company headed paper. This will show how much you have earned and how much you have paid in tax and it is a sufficient replacement for a P60 or P45. If you like, we can get a maximum of two copies for you if you would like us to claim your tax rebate on your behalf.

How many years can I claim a tax rebate for?
You can claim for a maximum of 6 years. So if you worked in the UK any time in the last 6 years you can still make a claim.

How do I apply for my Non UK national tax refund?
You can either make a claim yourself or you can use a tax refund agent. A tax refund agent can obtain all the information required on your behalf. If however if you are claiming the refund yourself, you will need:

  • Any P45’s
  • Any P60’s
  • A P91 – Employment History form
  • P85/P86 – Leaving/Entering the UK forms
  • Covering Letter

If you have any other questions, watch the short explainer video below or alternatively ask a question in the comments and we’ll personally answer it:




  1. Gumbi86 says:

    I came to work in UK in January 2012 under a three year work visa. However i am leaving UK before December 2012. I just want to know if i would be able to claim back the tax and national insurance i paid on my salary and what would be the way to go about this.

  2. Tibor Boka & Ildiko Bokova says:

    Hello.We are a margd.couple.We are living and working in UK from 2006(2006-2010 Scotland then in
    North England until now).We are from state which is member of the EU.Itts mean that we are a Non UK national but UK Residents by EU law.We would like to apply for a Tax return (or part) and National Isurance return (or rebate) from begin(2006).What
    can we do for it?Also we can do request for an your tax agent service too.

  3. Makotoko Dominic Moshoesho says:

    I have been working in the UK for the last three years and have been paying NI and Income Tax.I am due to leave the UK by the 2 February 2011,pending my Tier 2 status(I am awaiting UKBA answer)

  4. Monono Junior Moshoeshoe says:

    How long after submitting all relevant forms to my claim being settled

  5. shah says:

    i want to start work so how can i get my tax code?

  6. amjad says:

    i have a couple of questions.
    1) i have lost my previous years p60 then ?
    2) do i need to stay in UK after submitting the file or i can leave the country. as u know the processing time is 4 to 8 week. but if some one don’t have enough time to stay here, then ?????????

    • TaxFix says:

      amjad: 1. If you have lost your P60 you can write to your previous employers and ask for a statement of earnings on company headed paper which can be used as a replacement. 2. No you do not need to stay in the UK.

  7. Katalin says:

    I had to sent my tax back application form whith a P45 and P60 6 week ago. When can I get back my tax?

    • TaxFix says:

      Katalin: Refunds usually take between 4-8 weeks with all the required documentation, but can sometimes take longer when there are backlogs with the Inland Revenue. You can get an update of your application by calling your tax refund manager on 0203 151 2829

  8. Sheikh qyser iqbal says:

    I have already applied for a national insurance refund a couple of months would i know the status of my tax refund application,and how long it takes to get the tax paid back?

Leave a Reply