National Insurance Rebate When Leaving the UK

national insurance refund  leaving the uk

Each year thousands of people leave the UK after having worked and paid tax and National Insurance (NI) contributions. This article will help you to learn if you can claim any of your NI back.

How much is National Insurance Tax?
Most people pay National Insurance at the rate of 11% of their earnings.

Can I claim a National Insurance refund if I am leaving the UK?
No, but you can claim a PAYE tax refund. If you are planning on leaving the UK you can apply here:

What are the requirements to claim a PAYE rebate?
You need to have worked and paid national tax in the UK. You can make a claim now even if you are not planning on leaving for sometime.

Can I come back to live/work in the UK if I claim a tax refund?
Claiming a tax refund does not affect your eligibility to live and work in the UK. To learn more about claiming your tax back from the Inland Revenue you can watch the video below:

How much will my tax refund be?
This will depend on your age and your income. You can use our calculator here to get an estimate.


  1. Marvs says:

    I lived in UK for more than 3yrs. My friend filed my tax refund on my behalf and now its being processed. I want to inquire now regarding my contribution on my NI for about two and a half yr being employed. Now I already left UK, I am still eligible to file for a refund and how?

  2. Tomas says:

    Hello . I have been working in UK for 4 years.I m planning to back to my country next year.Can I apply for tax return for all money I have been paid for last 4 years? Is have mean NI and tax.

  3. Simon says:

    Hi, I am from australia and I was granted a working visa for the UK for a 4 year period under family heritage rights. I stayed for 4 years and got permanent residency and i have now been here for 15-16 years. however I was told I was only allowed the visa into the UK if I could support myself and I am not entitled to claim support from the govt. why do I have to pay national insurance if I can’t claim it back?

  4. Mick says:

    Hi, I am Australian and lived in the UK for 2 years on a working visa. Can I still claim back my NI?

  5. Steve says:

    Hi there I moved to the UK in 2010 and worked for over 183 days in the year, I left the UK in December 2010 and will continue to work for that same company from home in South Africa(they do not have an office in South Africa)
    I am going to have to pay my own taxes in South Africa but now get informed I will have to continue to pay NI for a further 52 weeks. So will I have to pay this dual tax? or is there a law about having to pay dual tax to two seperate countries governments?

  6. neil says:

    I am trying to find out the rules of claiming back national insurance under merchent seamans tax laws but cannot find the rules anywhere.
    Can you help please. I have the form SCM04/04

  7. zahid amodi says:

    Hi there,

    I have been working for a company for about last 5 months and my job contract will end by the end of november and i have been paying taxes and also national insurance on a regular basis…just after my job contract finishes, in a week time i have to leave UK permanently because of my visa expiring….can i claim national insurance and also the tax refund before my job contract finishes?

  8. RC says:

    How long after submitting a P45 does it take to get the rebate money?

  9. kk says:

    I have worked in uk since 2005 and planning to leave for good in 2016 to my country, i am not sure which one I can apply for a refund, Ni or Tax(PAYE) ?
    Secondly will i get all Tax I contributed back?

    Thank you..

  10. Linda says:

    I’m planning on leaving UK end of this year, questions:
    1) is it one of payment ~£ 1645, or that’s per year, i.e., I worked for a company for 5 yrs..would that mean I only get back 1645 and not more than that?
    2) what about previous employments – can NI contributions be claimed back at any time?
    Thanks, L.

  11. SS says:

    hi, i wonder how long will this all process take for claiming back both items? for income tax rebate, how will they give back the money to me? by cheque or bank card, Thanks.

  12. Anonymous says:

    i am planning to leave UK by next yr after my visa expires. I have paid for NI and tax as well because i am working. can i claim a refund when i stop working and leave UK?

  13. bob says:

    I have paid NI for 40 years and am going to south america any refunds due

  14. ccm says:

    i work here in uk since 2001 as a nurse and im planning to leave uk in much did you calculate i will get.thanks.

    • TaxFix says:

      ccm: If you leave the country you can claim a tax refund, the amount of your tax refund will depend on how much you have earned and paid in tax. Keep your P60/P45s safe and your claim can be processed as quickly as possible.

  15. Anonymous says:

    I tried calling your helpline to claim an NI refund, they said they dont deal with NI claims. I have downloaded the forms from the NI link, but for some reason, the forms are for a tax refund. Are these the same forms? Please let me know the NI customer service number in your company

  16. Tan MS says:

    I worked at UK from 1990 – 1993 and I also contributed NI , I went back to my country for good during end of Dec 1993 . Thereafter , I never return to UK , can I claim back my national insurance contribution now , what are the information required ? Please advice , thx

    • TaxFix says:

      Tan MS: You can only claim a national insurance rebate if you are currently living and working in the UK.

  17. Anonymous says:

    I am thinking of leaving the uk to live with my partner in africa, what are my rights regarding tax, pensions etc in the uk and can i return back to the uk at anytime?

    • TaxFix says:

      Anonymous: If you leave the UK you can claim a tax refund. When you finish working you will be given a P45, and then you can make your claim for a refund. Claiming a tax refund does not affect your eligibility to come back to the UK.

  18. Anonymous says:

    hi i worked for the last 2 years in uk, and i am planning to leave uk in august and what all the formalities to get a NI rebate and a TAX rebate. If i am applying how long it going to take and also can i receive the cheque or cash before august if i am applying today.

    • TaxFix says:

      Anonymous: If you are leaving the UK you can claim a tax refund when you stop working and your employer gives you your P45. You can apply for your tax rebate online here when you have your P45. An NI rebate can only be claimed if you are living and working in the UK. There is more information here about it.

Leave a Reply