International Student Tax Refund

international student tax rebate

If you are an international student from abroad who has worked while studying, you can often claim back all of the tax that you have paid.

Can International students claim tax rebates?
Yes. As an international student you are eligible to make a claim for a tax refund if you have worked in the UK and paid tax while on your student visa.

Refunds can expire so we advise you to make a claim as soon as possible.

How much will my tax refund be?
Your tax refund will depend on how much you have earned and how much you have paid in tax during the tax year which starts on the 6th April and ends on the 5th April. Often international students can claim all of the tax they have paid as they earned below the tax free personal allowance.

Where can I get the international student tax forms?
We deal with many international student tax claims and if you can complete our tax rebate forms here

Alternatively you can complete the application yourself but you will need to complete a number of tax forms including:

+P45/P60/statement of earnings


Are international students exempt from paying tax?
No. International students still need to pay tax. However most students who work do not earn over the tax free personal allowance which this year stands at £6,475 pounds, therefore they are able to claim back all of their tax.

Can international students claim national insurance rebates?
If you are currently residing and working in the UK you can claim a rebate on some of your national insurance contributions. This is known as contracting out of the state pension. You can read more here on how to do this.


  1. Sam Green says:

    I am a British national, working in France on placement for 1 year. I will be returning to the UK next year to complete the 4th and final year of my degree..
    In returning to education next year, I know that my friends can claim the tax back that they are charged on placement year.
    As I am in France, will I still be able to claim back this taxation (23%) when I am back in education next year?

  2. jessie li says:

    Hi, I am currently working as 3 months internship in London this summer with international student visa, I get gross paid of £1000 a month and I need to pay £200 income tax and £40.44 national insurance. Can I claim them back? And how to claim?

  3. Steve says:


    I was a student in the UK between 2011 to 2012. I need to claim my tax refund for the last tax year just ended( 2012/2013).

    Please can I do this while outside the UK as I have returned back to my home country.

    Hoping to hear from you soon.


  4. InterStudSK says:

    I was an international student in the UK and worked October 2006 to approx July 2007 but did not know that international students can enter tax refunds. I only now realise that they can from this website. Has the time expired when I can claim? Can a student claim while not in the UK?

  5. Abdul says:

    Hi there! I earn about £15000 year and i pay £4000 tax!i am
    Leaving country next month and i have paid about £9000 tax since i am living in uk, can i claim my tax back?? I was only alow 20 hours but i use to
    Do over time , cheers thanks

  6. Jacky says:

    Hi, I am a international student studying in an university in the UK. Is it possible to claim a tax refund for a purchase?

  7. Kazi Biplob says:

    If i lost my all +P45/P60/statement of earnings
    +P85 +P86 +P91, what should I do Now ?

  8. Kazi Biplob says:

    If i lost my all +P45/P60/statement of earnings
    +P85 +P86 +P91, what should I do Now ?

  9. sanjay says:

    HI, I am international student and i got new baby on 16th July my wife she is from eeu zone but she never worked in uk so she cant apply for tax credit so i just want to know am I able to apply for tax credit or not OR if will apply what will be happen

  10. prabin bhetwal says:

    I was in uk for 1 year as a student but now i have returned back to my country. can i claim my tax refund or not if yes whats the procedure i should apply please kindly answer me
    with regards

  11. priso says:

    ps i wish to know how much a student can make a month while studying in uk

  12. Sha says:

    I am on high skilled migration and I am thinking to apply for tax back which I paid when I was a student (internation student)and I will carry on staying this country. My question is can I claim my tax return back, if yes does it will effect when I will apply for permanent residence?
    Please help me.

  13. Sharon says:

    what if the student earns more than £6,745?? Is she or he liable to claim tax refund or not???

  14. melanie says:

    Wht are the tax benefit for pregnant students

  15. melanie says:

    What are the maternity allowance for international student

  16. Amarjit singh says:

    if i am allow to work 20 hours a week. but if during my holidays, i am working more then that, how many percents of tax company can deduct into my wages.

  17. Gail says:

    I am an International student and working 35 hours a week in almost a year now. I was able to get a tax refund few months ago. On October I am scheduled to leave this country for good. Will I be able to claim all the tax I paid during my stay in this country?

  18. Lee says:

    I am an international student and plan to leave the UK for good soon. I’d be grateful if you could advise how to claim my NI back?


  19. suvra chakravorty says:

    I didn’t claim tax back within 5 years. Will it cease the agreement?

  20. Ali says:

    i am an international student i was doing 20 hours , and now only 10 , well i was wondering when am i supposed to claim tax back for this tax year ?

  21. poonam says:

    I am international student from last 3 yrs in uk but i did not claim my tex can i apply now for that.i was worked just 20hours a week.

    • TaxFix says:

      poonam: If you have your P60/P45 you can make a claim. If you do not, you can contact your employers and ask for a statement of earnings which can be used as a replacement.

  22. Kashta Graham says:

    What is the length of time given before tax rebates expire?

  23. internastuden says:

    Hello i have a short question regard VAT, if i bought something that has VAT tax can i claim it when i leave the country ?

  24. Anonymous says:

    I am an International student doing BSc (Hons) Health and Social Care. I am currently working in a home but my employment is a necessary requirement for me to complete my course. I have earned over £6475, am I entitled to get some Tax back

    • TaxFix says:

      Anonymous: Even if you earn over £6,475 you may be due a tax rebate. At the end of the tax year you should be given a P60, when you have this you can check to see if you are due a rebate by using our calculator.

  25. Anonymous says:

    Irish student working in france being deducted emergency tax can it be claimed back at end of working period

  26. Anonymous says:

    I”ve work 20 hours weekly and my income is over £6475 an I’ve got four kids i dont claim child benefit,can i claim my tax back

  27. Jake says:

    Ive worked over my 20 hours a week consistanly, I am owed alot of tax but am worried that i may get in trouble for exceeding my weekly working limited, will this affect my claim?

  28. Sarah says:

    When it states international students, and international student Visa, I am from France, so therefore do not require a visa, am I still exempt from paying tax if I only earn £4000 a year?

Leave a Reply