Inland Revenue P45 – The Facts

Each week visitors to Tax Fix ask us questions about P45s. Our tax experts have compiled a number of the most frequently asked questions and answers:

What is a P45?

A P45 is a tax document which is given to you by your employer after you have stopped working or are made redundant.

What does a P45 show?

Your P45 will show the following information:

  • Your PAYE reference number
  • The tax code you were on
  • Your national insurance number
  • The date you finished working for your employer
  • Your income for the tax year
  • The amount you paid in tax in the tax year

Why is there more then one part to my P45?

A P45 has four parts; however you may only see 3 because your employer will retain and send the first part to the Inland Revenue. When you start a new job you should give Part 2 and Part 3 to your new employer. You should keep the remaining part (1A) for your own records.

What if I have lost my P45 or am not given one?

Your employer is required by law to give you a P45 and should do so automatically. If you have lost your P45 you can ask your former employer for a statement of earnings which is a sufficient replacement when claiming a tax refund. You can also download a form P46 to give to your new employer so you are not put on an emergency tax code on your new job.

How do I know if I am due a tax refund?

There should be a tax figure and an income figure on your P45 or statement of earnings. Input these amounts into our tax rebate calculator and it will calculate whether you are due a tax rebate.

What if I do not want to or am unable to get my statement of earnings?

We can help you apply for a tax rebate from the Inland Revenue even if you do not have all your P45s or P60s. We can obtain a maximum of two statement of earnings from previous employers.


  1. A says:

    I recently completed a short term contract which I got via an agency yet I am yet to receive a P45. I was working for 3 weeks. Does this still qualify to gain a P45??

    • DavidTaxFix says:

      If they did not give you a P45, you can download a P46 if you need the P45 to give your new employer. Alternatively you can ask your employer to provide a statement of earnings which can be used as a replacement for the P45.

  2. Lisa says:

    The company I work for had been taken over my old employer has given me my p45 though.
    What does that mean am I no longer employed by the company

  3. sharon kilner says:

    iv just received my p45 in black and white I always thought they were green

  4. nono chiparo says:

    is a photo copy of P45 a legal document

  5. Tricia says:

    Can i have your liverpool address to send my p45 too.

  6. Jazmine says:

    I recently received my P45 and P60 but my middle name is spelt incorrectly on both. Can I ask my previous employer to issue new ones of each? Thanks

  7. Jéssica says:

    Hi, I´d like to know one question about the taxes when you have 2 jobs.
    In my case, I started to work in a part-time job on 16th March, and 19th April I was hired for another part-time job but I haven´t started to work and receiving payments yet. I´m paying 20% of taxes, my code is BR since the beginning in my first job.
    Is it right the tax code? even if I didn´t start to work in my second job?
    Thanks a lot

    • TaxFix says:

      Jéssica: You may be overpaying tax. If you know how much you earned and paid in tax in total during the tax year (you can check this from your P60/P45) you can see if you are due a tax rebate by using our calculator here.

  8. shewsue matt says:

    I have left work to look after my disabled husband , my employer sent my p45 to my previous address. I need this as I need to claim housing benefit can I get a replacement if not what do I do now.

  9. Melissa says:

    I worked in the Uk almost ten years ago now. I realise how belated this enquiry is however I’ve just found my National Insurance Number..
    So I’m curious if there is any possibilty of still making a claim.

    I’ve just reviewed some F& Q and see mention of a P45 on terminating my employment.
    Except, I am certain that I received no paperwork. On leaving both my employers whilst in the UK.

    I’m not sure what I can do from here, and hoping you may be able to shead some light on this for me..

  10. Jackie says:

    When I started my new job my new employer hasn’t submited by P45, resulting my P60 only having my income from my current job ! Does this matter , what can i do about it.

  11. D HERIVEL says:

    My ex-employer has refused to release my P45.
    I understand that he is obliged by law to do so.

    What law applies.


    • TaxFix says:

      D HERIVEL: Under the data protection act you could ask them to provide the information that they hold about you. If you need your p45 to give to a new employer, it might be quicker downloading a P46 instead.

  12. lee says:

    I have been told by the tax office that I am due a tax refund, what parts of my p45’s do I need to send to the tax office, also do they require coding notices?

  13. Belinda says:

    I left my job on July 20 2012 and started a new one in September. My old employer only issued my P45 in January and gave an incorrect leaving date of end of November, so FOUR months after I actually left.
    I have asked them to reissue but they have refused.
    Why is this? It is ringing alarm bells with me …
    I have told the tax office who say it is down to the old employer to reissue but why would they refuse to do this? It is a major mistake, not a day or two out.

    • TaxFix says:

      Belinda: Your employer is required by law (under the data protection act) to correct any wrong information they have on you. You could try reminding them of this obligation.

  14. Grace says:

    I am a British citizen and moved to the caribbean since May 2009 and didnot received my P45 for 2008 and 2009. Right now I am trying to claim my tax refund and Idon’t have these documents. What should I do now.

    • TaxFix says:

      Grace: If you do not have your P45, you can contact your old employer and ask them to provide a ‘statement of earnings’ which can be used as a replacement for a P45.

  15. Fiona says:

    I was made redundnat and given my P45. I signed on with Job Centre and there was an issue with my application which has now been rectified. I however received another p45 from Job Centre during the time it was being rectified. I was advised to hand it back to job centre which I did but it has been returned to me again? What do I need to do to ensure I am in the right situation for returnign to work (hopefully soon)

  16. John S says:

    Hello, I left the armed forces in may 2011 and started a new job, the forces sent my p45 to the wrong address and promised me they would get it sorted, this went on for the whole time I was in the new job ( approx 4 months) so I was on the emergency tax band. Since all of this I am now working in Afghanistan so luckily I don’t pay income tax etc but am shortly due to finish my contract. What should I do now

  17. nigel says:

    I have started a new job , if i fill in a p60 what information will be received by my new employer.
    will my last employer or date i left employment be revealed or just my tax code.

  18. do u get a p45 after u stop claiming ben says:

    I have just stop claiming income support and my employer is asking for a p45 will the del send me one

  19. lani says:

    if i am due for tax refund, how long will i wait to get the money?

  20. Mary says:

    My stepdaughter’s has left her job but her employer a one man band hairdresser is refusing to give her a P45. Can we do anything as she is about to start a new job

  21. Lesley says:

    I worked in a shop for 16 years owner walked away and did not give me notice of the shop closing, no p45 and no redundancy. His daughter and wife did not pay my national insurance or tax for a year, can I sue him as he or his daughter or wife as one of them still own the shop.

  22. Suzanne R. says:

    I called HMRC today regarding some tax refund and as they were asking me the security questions – where was your last place of employment ? – I found out that a P45 had been issued at the end of last month… the only issue is that I am still working in the company but the record from Inland revenue say differently. I have asked my employer about it and they have no idea. How could this have happened and what should i do to get the situation back to normal ?

  23. Lesley paterson says:

    I worked in a shop for 16 years. Employer did not give me notice of me being made redundant, when he closed the shop
    He did not give me a p45 and no redundancy, what are my rights and can I sue my ex employer.

  24. thomas says:

    I need my P45 for the council regarding my housing benefit. I’ve contacted my previous employer several times about my p45 and they keep saying they haven’t received it. I lost my job 3 weeks ago. All this time my housing benefits is suspended without the p45. Help!!!

Leave a Reply