Income Tax Back for Professional Subscriptions

Do you, or have you during the past six years, been a member of a professional body or learned society?
If you have, then there is a very good chance that you are due a tax refund from the Inland Revenue. The government offers incentives, in the form of tax rebates for members of professional bodies or learned societies.
There are a couple of obvious rules that apply, such as ‘…the activity of the body is directly related to your employment’. However there are quite literally hundreds of different professional bodies that are applicable, ranging from the Society of Chemists to the British Institution of Funeral Directors. The list can be obtained by Emailing us.

If you did not realise that you could contact one of our  tax refund agents to claim your professional subscription against the tax you pay, you could be in for a big windfall as these fees can amount to hundreds of pounds each year. If you multiply the fee by the maximum number of years you can claim for (six), this could result in thousands of pounds of tax back.

Why not check to see if you are due any income tax rebate today? Tax Fix works on a ‘No tax back, No Fee’ basis. So what do you have to lose?


  1. Jo says:

    |can I claim back on my UNISON subscriptons fees and my annualnursing registration with the NMC?
    what forms do I need to fill in and where do I get them from

  2. Mark says:


    Can a person claim back the tax on UNISON and UCU?

  3. lee says:

    can I claim a refund on membership fees for the association of british dispensing opticians and the general optical council?

  4. Paul says:

    Can I claim a refund on professional fees if I was unemployed at the time I paid the fees? I’m a solicitor and it’s a criminal offence to call myself one if I haven’t paid the fees. I also wanted to pay the fees in order to be able to start work straight away if I was offered a position.

    • TaxFix says:

      Paul: If your professional is one of the ones approved by the Inland Revenue, then you can offset the expense against your income.

  5. AAT Subscription fees says:

    Can I claim this Account Technicians fee back?

  6. Andrew says:

    Hi there,
    I would like to know if I can claim back the tax on my National Union of Teachers membership, and British Gymnastics ( I am a paid coach and membership is compulsory).

    • TaxFix says:

      You can get a tax rebate for certain business expenses if they are required for your job and your employers makes you pay them.

      The National Union of Teachers is an approved organisation that the Inland Revenue allows you to claim tax back on. However it is not possible to get tax relief if you have a life membership subscription or if the company that you work for has paid the subscription on your behalf.

      To get the money back you can write a letter to your local tax office explaining the situation and they will give you a refund. Or if the expense is less than a £1,000 you can call up and they can process the refund over the phone.

Leave a Reply