How to Claim My Tax Back in 2010

How to claim my tax back

At the end of the tax year (April 5th) employees around the country should receive their P60’s.

What is a P60?
Your P60 is a statement of earnings for the tax year and it can help to show if you are due a tax refund or have overpaid tax through the year.

When will I get my P60?
The tax year ends on the 5th April, and depending on how organised and efficient your employer is, you should receive your P60 shortly after this date.

What should I do with my P60?
There should be a tax figure and an income figure on your P60. This shows how much tax and how much income you have earned for the year. Input these numbers into our tax rebate calculator and it will tell you instantly if you are due a tax refund.

What about tax rebates for previous years?
If you have P60s for previous years you can check to see if you have overpaid in these years too. The longest you can claim for is 6 years in arrears.

How do I claim my tax back before the end of the Tax Year?
If you are leaving the UK or have stopped working and do not intend to work before the end of the tax year (April 5th), then you can claim your tax back before you receive your P60.

Invariably tax offices will be very busy at the end of the tax year and as the new tax year starts. We recommend you submit your tax refund as soon as you get your P60 and this will avoid any potential delay in receiving your tax refund cheque.


Need help with a
Tax Refund?

apply for a tax rebate


  1. tt says:

    can someone help? i was away for four years from 2010. i had cheques issued to me from a repayment of income tax for the year. because its been more than six months and i did not claim thee money, how do i do so now?

  2. rose crisp says:

    I work for a company through an agency, the agencies changed at the end of February, the old agency has just sent me my P60 where it says my earnings were only £29.60. They havn’t put any of my earnings , tax or NI for the year and I was paying BR1 tax, there isn’t a contact address or number for them what should I do

  3. Anonymous says:

    Hiya, please can you advise how to get my tax refund. Is it done online.

  4. n says:

    hi,on my p60,tax deducted says 59.20OR,what does this mean

  5. Ryan says:

    I have earned £9200 and been taxed 760 but it is my 1st job since leaving school, am i due any back?

  6. Carly says:

    What does Tax deducted (R=net refund) mean?

  7. kal58 says:

    hi, i worked for my previous employer for 10 month. my contract ended and i earned £12780.91 and paid £1347.80, due to ill health i may not be able to work for 12 month, i was adv i may be able to claim my tax back for this year 11/12 is this correct? also 1 was on the tax code 747l. would i be due anything back?

  8. M says:

    I start work in March 2012, and have been out of work for the past four months, will I
    a) be given a p60
    b) entitled to tax refund
    Also i have not claimed job seekers or any benefits

  9. carol says:

    I turned 65 feb 2012, phoned hmrc and should get a tax rebate back to april 2011. when will i get this?

  10. Az says:


    Im due some tax back for 2010 – 2011. Are you aware which i need to fill out to get tax back. perhaps the p50 or sa100. cheers

  11. Mark says:

    I started as self employed in jan 11. I am about to file my online assessment to April 11. What tax allowance am I entitled to. I was not employed before this but did not claim any benefits either. I believe my earnings for the 4 months was about £8500, before I take off my fuel, tools etc. do I still get the full years entitlement.

  12. JB says:

    when filing my tax return online, for the employment tax paid box, do I include Tax and NI or just the Tax?

  13. Mark says:

    Can i claim tax refund just with P45 because i dont have P60?

  14. Phil says:

    I recieved a letter saying that i was to recieve a tax refund of £2,700 for the previous 3 years based on me being charged for a car benefit when i no longer recieved it, the letter said it would take 14 working days that was 2 days ago,i rang the tax office and they said it had been issued, and that if it was cancelled and re-issued it would take another 6 Weeks for cancellation and re-issue……why, and what should i do?

  15. james allen says:

    I am taking my pension fund under the trivial commutation option the amount subject to tax is

  16. julio says:

    hi I work since 2006 in UK and now I want return to my country brasil can I recive all my tax.

  17. mr turner says:

    was working in grimsby 2009/2010 cannot find my p60 who can i ring for my earnings for that year its for tax credits thankyou

  18. cloud says:


    I worked aug2010 until dec2010. I earned 6.101,-and paid 248,- tax. Since Jan2011 I am back in Germany (I am german) is there a way to claim tax refund online? I do not have contact to my former employer.
    I did not declare tax in other countries.


  19. Carol Tristram says:

    Can I get a copy of my PAYE Coding Notice for 2010-2011 from MHRC?

  20. MP says:

    hi since the year 2000 i have earned roughly £18,000 per year and have been taxed around £4,500 per year ,,,,,,,,am i entitled to any money back??? many thanks mp

  21. Marian says:

    Hi, was wondering if i can claim back my tax paid to date for tax year 2011/2012, and still claim tax credits? I’ve earned £5742 and paid £575 in tax. I’ve just left my job to stay at home with the children and don’t plan on going back to work before the tax year ends. Do you know if this will affect the amount of tax credits we get? My husband works full-time.

  22. Tax Fix says:

    @kaye elwell

    I understood that there was a 30 day grace period for people who had not returned their tax credit forms on time. Contact the Tax Credit Office helpline for more information.

  23. kaye elwell says:

    i am late sending my child tax credit form back now my payments have been stopped what can i do?

  24. amc mcleod says:

    I came to the UK as a self-employed care worker. What expenses can I deduct from my taxable income, apart from transport expenses, please.
    Thank you for this service

  25. amc mcleod says:

    I came as a self-employed care worker to the UK from 28/08/09 to 22/11/10 and have received a tax calculation for 2010-2011 tax year of 2157.72 sterling. I was back in South Africa from Dec 2009 to February 2010 and understand this may enable me to claim a tax refund. Can I claim my Cl 4 NI contributions too.
    Thank you,
    Alex Mcleod

  26. Rochelle says:

    I can’t find my p45 form, how can I get another one?

Leave a Reply