Guide: UK Tax Refund Requirements

student tax exmeption UK

If you have worked in the UK, there are a number of reasons why you could be due a tax refund. This article outlines some of the reasons and requirements for claiming a tax refund in the UK. If you have any further questions please send us an E-mail:

How do I know if I am eligible to apply for a tax rebate?
There are a number of reasons why you could be eligible for a tax rebate. The most common reasons are:

What are the requirements for claiming a tax rebate?
If you think that you might be due a tax rebate, there are a number of documents that you will need in order to make your claim with the Inland Revenue:

  • Any P45/P60’s
  • A P91 – Employment History form
  • P85/P86 – Leaving/Entering the UK forms
  • Covering Letter
  • Form P38(S) – Inland Revenue Student Tax Exemption Form (only required if you are a student)

Once you have all the applicable documents listed above, send them to your local tax office. If you do not want to make the claim yourself, a tax rebate agent such as TaxFix will obtain all the information required on your behalf and submit your claim to the Inland Revenue.

What are the requirements for claiming a national insurance rebate?
If you are working and are a UK resident, you can claim a portion of your national insurance contributions back. To learn more: National Insurance rebates.

Claim a Tax Refund

Disclaimer: The above information can not be taken as advice and is for illustration purposes only. Please call Tax Fix before making any claims or confirmation. Tax Fix can not accept any liability for action taken and any losses incurred.


  1. cassandra says:

    how can u qualify for a tax rebate

  2. upali says:

    I’ve been working uk as a doctor from january 2010. now i’m going to change my visa catergory from tier 2 to tier 1. there for can i get my tax refund for 2010 when i’m in tier 1

  3. ian says:

    If my personal allowances exced my pension, so that the balance of allowances is set against my taxed bank interest ,do I have to wait until the end of the tax year to make a repayment claim or can i do during the tax year concerned ?

    • TaxFix says:

      ian: You can claim for previous tax years now, but for the current tax year you will need to wait until the end of the tax year.

  4. anna says:

    When applying for a tax rebate do tax credits get taken into account

  5. sara says:

    can you apply for a tax rebate if you are recieving child benefits, child tax credits or working tax credits

    • TaxFix says:

      sara: Yes you can still apply for a tax rebate. Do you have a job as well, you can only get a tax rebate if you have paid tax in a job.

Leave a Reply