Finding Your Important Tax Information

When submitting your tax return, starting a new job or enquiring about your tax and other benefits you’re likely to need certain pieces of information.  These may include your National Insurance number, your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number or your tax code.

If you’ve mislaid any of this information, our guide will help you find it.

Finding your National Insurance Number

If you can’t remember your National Insurance number or you’ve lost your National Insurance number card, you may be able to find it on some of your official paperwork.  You can often find your National Insurance number on:

  • Your payslip
  • A copy of your Self Assessment tax return
  • Your P60 (end of year tax statement)

If you still can’t find your National Insurance number, you can ask HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to confirm it to you.  You can do this by calling the National Insurance Registrations Helpline (on 0845 915 7006) or completing and returning a CA5403 form.

HMRC will confirm your National Insurance number by post.

Finding your Tax Code

If you’re employed or between jobs, you’ll find your tax code on your P45 (the statement of earnings/tax you receive when you leave an employer).  You will also find your tax code on your ‘PAYE Coding Notice’, usually sent to you by HMRC before the start of each tax year.

If you’ve lost your P45 and want to find out your tax code you should contact HMRC and give them your National Insurance number and tax reference number (see below).

If you’re starting your first job, your employer will ask you for the relevant information to allocate a tax code and work out the tax due on your wages.  HMRC will then process the information passed on from your employer and, where necessary, revise or issue you with a tax code.

If you get a company or personal pension, you’ll find your tax code on your PAYE Coding Notice.  You’ll also find your tax code on notices and payslips from your pension provider.

Finding your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) Number

Your UTR number is a unique number provided by HMRC so that you can complete your tax return.  It has ten digits (for example, 15863 35637) and it is used by HMRC to identify you.

If you can’t remember what your UTR number is, you can normally find it on:

  • Your tax return – your UTR number should be on your tax return
  • Your ‘Welcome to Self Assessment’ letter (SA250). This letter also explains how your UTR number is used
  • Your ‘Notice to File a Tax Return’ – if you submit your tax return online, you should receive a reminder that your self assessment tax return is due.  Your UTR number will be found on this Notice to File document
  • Your ‘Statement of Account’ – your UTR will also appear on your HMRC statement

You will often also find your UTR number on other formal correspondence that you receive from HMRC such as a payment reminder.


  1. UTR Lost says:

    I have lost my UTR number , can you please help on this?

  2. David says:

    How do i find out what tax has been paid into my utr number from the companys who have subcontracted me

  3. Y Wo says:

    How much do you charge for a CT return for property letting company? The balance sheet and P & L account will be provided.

  4. bernie roy says:

    My daughter has gone to sydney australia to work for a year and is renting out her flat which has a mortgage of £600 per month and it is being managed by a company who charge the tenants £600 plus their fee. does my daughter have to put this down as income on a p85 tax form

  5. Tax Fix says:

    Chloe – thanks for your question. No, if she lives in the UK and you are claiming Child Benefit for her, she should be sent a National Insurance number automatically just before her 16th birthday.

    If she doesn’t receive a National Insurance number then she should contact the National Insurance Registrations Helpline on 0845 915 7006 for advice.

  6. Chloe Jones says:

    My daughter will be 16 in the New Year. Do I need to apply for a National Insurance number for her now?

Leave a Reply