Emigrating from the UK? Claim A Tax Rebate

tax rebate when leaving the country

More and more people are leaving the UK. Records from the Office of National statistics show in 2006 it reached a peak at 385,000 people.

There are many advantages to moving abroad, such as a lower cost of living and better weather, but don’t forget you can also claim back a large portion of any income taxes earned in the tax year in which you leave.

Below we have a compiled a list of frequently asked questions and answers:

I am moving to another country. Can I claim my UK income tax back?
Yes. As you will have stopped working part way through the tax year you will not have received your full UK tax allowance. As a result you can claim a tax refund.

What percentage of my earnings can I claim back? Can I claim it all back?
It will depend on how much you earned and the amount you paid in tax each tax year before you emigrated from the UK.

How can I check to see how much my tax refund will be?
On the day you finish work you should be given a P45 from your employer. On the P45 there will an amount of income and tax for the year. Input these numbers into our tax rebate calculator and it will tell you instantly if you are due a tax refund.

I left the UK more then a year ago, can I still claim my tax back?
Yes. You can claim for a maximum of 6 years in arrears.

When can I claim my tax back?
As soon as you stop working you are able to claim any tax rebate that you might be due.

Can I get my National Insurance back when leaving the country?
A portion of your National insurance payments can be claimed back and transferred into a private pension. More information is available on our NI rebate pages.


  1. Rodrigo says:

    Hi there, I have worked for the same company over 5 years and never had a tax returned. Now I left the company and moved abroad without take my P45 e P60, my question is, Am I allowed to claim any tax return without those documents?

    • DavidTaxFix says:

      When you finished working you should have been given a P45. If you were not, you can ask your company to provide a statement of earnings on company headed paper which can be used as a replacement to claim your tax rebate.

  2. Mike Gainz says:

    Hi I have been working in UK since I was 17 I am now 27, I am british and thinking of moving abroad. Can I claim all 10 years worth of income tax back?

    • DavidTaxFix says:

      Usually the tax rebate will be for the year in which you leave the UK, however we can check all 4 eligible years for you.

  3. Sandie says:

    I left the UK in April to work in NZ. I have no plan of returning to the uk unless I need to for whatever reason. How far back does the tax rebate claim go? I heard you can claim back for up to 3 tax years. I left my job before the tax year begun for 2014.

    • DavidTaxFix says:

      You can make a claim for any overpayment of tax over the past 4 years. However usually your refund will just be for the year in which you leave the UK.

  4. Vladimiro Meneghetti says:

    I have worked in the UK since 1995.
    I now am planning to immigrate back to Canada, may I claim back the pension contributions that I have made since then ?

  5. Nicky says:

    Can I claim my tax back if I relocate to another country,I am a British citizen and don’t know if that applies to me.

  6. UK Hypo tax says:

    I have never been in UK, but work for UK registered company, and I have been deducted hypo tax from salary since the last 3 years Is that legal?



  7. Konsta says:

    Hi TaxFix advisors! I am leaving the UK october 2013 and planning to claim tax rebate. how long does it take to get money? what is the procedure?

    Thank you.

    • TaxFix says:

      Konsta: Hi. When you finish working your employer should give you a P45. When you have your P45, you can make your tax rebate claim here. Refunds usually take around 6-8 weeks to process and we can pay you your refund into your bank account in your home country.

  8. jonathan williamson says:

    I left to move abroad in june 2011 and returned october 2011 am i entitled to a rebate?

  9. bye UK says:

    Hello, I decided to leave UK in next month, but im still working at the moment. Ive worked here for 1 full year starting from 28th of FEB 2012 until 27th of FEB 2013. Can I claim full tax return if im not planning to work in UK for next 5 years?

    • TaxFix says:

      bye UK: Your eligibility to claim a full tax refund will depend on how much you earned and how much you paid in tax. Usually if you are leaving the UK you will be able to claim a tax refund but it’s not normally all the tax you have paid, just a proportion of it, but usually this is still many hundreds of pounds.

  10. Chris says:

    I am planning on leaving the UK when you say you can get a tax rebate how far can you claim back to? I have been working since I was 17 and I am now 40

  11. judy says:

    i have emigrated to the netherlands in april. Will i be able to claim any tax back for the years i have paid in?

  12. Mr & Mrs R Holt. says:

    We live out of the UK for 6 months of the year, can we claim back council tax rebate.

  13. Mr & Mrs R Holt. says:

    We live out of the UK for 6 months of the year, can we claim back council tax rebate.

  14. Patrick goff says:

    I am emigrating from UK in 6 weeks. I stopped working S/E q number of weeks ago. I have paid tax already through CIS and would like to know whether I can claim back any rebate without waiting until the end of the tax year to do my return. If so how would this be done?

  15. Minnie J. says:

    I left London in 2005, I worked there for 4 yrs. Can I still claim a tax rebate?

  16. Carl Matthews says:

    I am leaving the uk for Australia on the 4th dec 2012 after serving 11+ years with the Metropolitan Police, can I claim a tax refund ?

  17. LINDY says:

    I only have my P60 and didnt manage to get my P45 from my employer can I still get a refund based on those

  18. Ali Ansari says:

    I have been working in the NHS since September 2009. I am leaving the UK permanently for India in January 2013. Do I get my tax refunded including all the three years or only one year?

  19. Joseph Sebastian says:

    Dear sir,
    I just resigned my job and got my p45 from previous employer and atpresent I am working for another company. I am student visa and is there any possibility to claim my tax

  20. ASND says:

    I left from UK 6 months back and i couldnt get any tax forms either p45 or p60.ive sent couple of mails to my employer by stating my requiremnt.but they didnt reply at all.so whats the procedure that i shold follow?thanks.

  21. Inga says:


    I do not seem to have pages 2&3 of the P-45, can I send page 1 only instead?

  22. amit says:

    i work last year in uk now i am going back to my countery can i get back that money which i pay as a tax.can i am eligible to get full money or not/??? plz advice me regards

  23. Joanna says:

    I am moving from the UK in May 2012.
    Am I still eligable for tax rebate?

  24. kevin says:

    I am a 53 year old UK resident who wants to go live in Kota Kinabalu with my wife who is a Malaysian citizen.
    What happens to my UK pension?

  25. jim says:

    if im leaving the country for good can i claim all my tax and ni money back

  26. bluet says:

    we plan to return home to Australia this year, we have paid taxes in UK since arrival in 2008

    what forms do we need to inform HM about his?

  27. joy says:

    i left the uk in 2007 and want to claim tax back how do i go about this

  28. i left the uk in 2007 says:

    i left the uk in 2007 and want to claim my tax back how do i go about it as have no idea

  29. aleksandrs stabulnieks says:

    I wish leave UK and move to Scandinavian country but I work in UK 4 years if I les e UK I wish move this income tax for my pension in my country because I don’t ask pension hier but 4 years I work hier and pay all tax.Can I clime back all years income tax and move this in other country for pension

  30. Luba says:

    Hi, could you please let me know how long it normally takes to get tax refund (approximately)?

  31. Bonnie says:

    When Leaving UK will you get refund 40% tax back for last 5 years?

  32. marigona says:

    if i leave the uk for a year is it able for me to come back to the coutry after a year

  33. Jackie says:

    I am currently living & working in England but want to live in Ireland with my partner, I am looking for work in Ireland but can I apply for benefits while I am looking

  34. Alison Jackson says:

    I have recently made £10 000 of purchases to take overseas, mostly large bulky items of furniture. Please can you tell me how to reclaim the VAT back when I emigrate in 4 weeks time from companies that I have already purchased from and have had the items delivered?

  35. kImberley says:

    I’m leaving the uk in the next few months and moving to Ireland permanent. I have been working for 3 and a half years full-time. Can I claim back my tax ? And if I do will I be able to claim benefits in Ireland until I get a job if Ive claimed a tax rebate?

  36. Gavin Harris says:


    I moved to china in May 2007 for what i thought was only going to be 6 months. I’m still abroad 3.5 years later. My UK company kept me employed on a remote part-time basis and i have been paid monthly since in the UK and paid UK tax. I am about to resign from this job in the UK as i move to Singapore permanently. Do i have a tax claim here?


  37. Anjali says:

    I worked in Uk in 2008-09, moved abroad but overpaid the tax. Now in 2010 I am back in Uk, can i still claim the tax I overpaid in 2009.

  38. carlos manuel s cardia says:

    i lost my job just want know if i can claim tax back but i no want leave the country

  39. carlos manuel s cardia says:

    i lost my job just want know if i can claim tax back but i no want leave the country

  40. Matt says:

    Hi TaxFix,

    Whats the procedure, if you are working for a UK company, then they transfer you to an office in KL, Malaysia.. and they till pay you as normal. then.. later on in the year start paying you into a Malaysian bank account?

    Thanks in advance!


    • TaxFix says:

      Matt: If you are no longer working and living in the UK you may be eligible to claim a tax rebate, it will depend on your residency for tax purposes, your income and your taxes.

  41. Elaine Connell says:


    I am emmigrating to Canada from the UK and plan to apply for a tax rebate. Can you please advise how much you charge for your service of acting as an intermediary?

    Kind Regards

    • TaxFix says:

      Elaine Connell: We only charge a fee if and when we get your tax refund. When we do get a refund for you we only charge 16.8% if you send in your application within 14 days of applying at:


      If you send in your application after 14 days of registering at the address above, we charge 18.9%.

Leave a Reply