Do Under 18's Pay Tax?

do under 18s pay  tax?

Many people who work and are under 18 can claim a tax refund, but this isn’t always the case and it will depend on your situation. This article will help you to learn if you could be due a tax refund.

Do I pay tax if I am under 18?
It does not matter how old you are. It matters how much you have earned in the tax year. Most under 18s do not earn much and so often they can claim a tax rebate from the Inland Revenue.

I am under 18, how can I find out if I am due a tax rebate?
In April you should be given a P60 from your employer which looks something like the form on the right. On that form it will tell you how much you have earned and how much you have paid in tax. If you have earned below £6,475 you will be able to claim back all of the tax that you have paid. If you have earned more you can still make a claim but you will not be able to claim back all of the tax. You can use our tax calculator

How do I claim an under 18s tax rebate?
We deal with many under 18s tax rebate claims and you can complete our tax rebate forms here

Alternatively you can complete your tax rebate application yourself but you will need to complete a number of tax forms including:

+P45/P60/statement of earnings

Are under 18s exempt from paying tax?
No. As mentioned previously, it’s not how old you are, it’s how much you earn which determines if you are due a tax rebate.Many under 18s only work part time and do not earn over the tax free personal allowance which this year is £6,475 pounds, therefore they are able to claim back all of their tax.
Can under 18’s claim a national insurance rebate?
If you are currently living and working in the UK with a permanent national insurance number you can claim a rebate on your national insurance contributions. This is known as contracting out of the state pension. You can read more here on how to do this.


  1. williams says:

    my daughter is getting 30 ema and is working 4 hrs a week on 3.68 hr she is on tax code vrw1 is this right can she claim it back

  2. martin says:

    im 17 working part time job, should i be taxed

  3. Kate says:

    When i turn 18, I will be renting an apartment in NYC. To do so, I will need to bring tax forms to apply for an apartment. How can i do that if I don’t pay taxes?

  4. Aldo cent says:

    I am under 18 an made 2000 in taxes would i have to pay or do i recieve a rebate?

  5. Aaron says:

    I’m just 18, I received my bank statement today. I haven’t worked, ever, and I live with my mother. I was taxed for the recent tax year. I get EMA at £30 a week, does this effect this?
    I don’t understand why I’ve had to pay Tax, I was still 17 in the tax year of 6th April 2010 – 5th April 2011, and have never worked.

  6. Sophie Barclay says:

    I am doing a sort of comparison task for modern studies homework.. i am comparing malawi and scotland. one of the questions i need to answer is what is the percentage of children that go to school/recieve education in scotland and malawi. i have the number of under 18’s that go to school/recieve education in scotland but i need it to be a percentage, and in order to get the percentage i need the number of under18’s overall currently in scotland. so my question is how many under 18’s are there currently living in scotland? i would appreciate if you could reply because i cannot find this information anywhere and its a big part of my h/w task. thanks.

  7. kim says:

    my 17 year old daughter now has two part time jobs and will bring home around

  8. Jade Firth says:

    I am working 2 jobs and am getting paided £330 tomorrow but one job is paided monthly and the other is paided fortnightly, will i get taxed?

    • TaxFix says:

      Jade Firth: If you earn over the tax free allowance (currently £6,475) you should be paying tax on your income.

Leave a Reply