Deadline for Tax Rebates and Self Assessment

If you want to claim a tax rebate for previous years you may need to hurry if you want to avoid your refund expiring. Each year millions goes unclaimed in overpaid tax. It is estimated that as many as 1 in 3 people have overpaid tax for various reasons, including: being on the wrong tax code, earning below the tax free allowance or leaving the UK to travel.

Time Limits For Claiming a Tax Refund From a Job

Tax year Tax year endeding Your claim expires on:
2004-05 5 April 2005 31 January 2011
2005-06 5 April 2006 31 January 2012
2006-07 5 April 2007 31 March 2012
2007-08 5 April 2008 5 April 2012
2008-09 5 April 2009 5 April 2013
2009-10 5 April 2010 5 April 2014

Time limits for claiming back Self Assessment tax

Tax year Tax year endeding Your claim expires on:
2006-07 5 April 2007 5 April 2011
2007-08 5 April 2008 5 April 2012
2008-09 5 April 2009 5 April 2013

One thing to note, is that if the Inland Revenue has made a mistake then you may be given an extension to the dates outlined above. We recommend you do not leave making a claim to the last minute to avoid your refund expiring.

Need to do a Self Assessment Tax Return?


  1. Graham says:

    can I claim a refund for tax year 2007/2008 I was self employed but never put return in and would like too

  2. hardeep says:

    Hi irecieved a letter from hmrc. they said i have to pay the tax for that where i had not work and the amount is nearly £800 . what i have to do. And I have all the papers from my all employer and now i m shocked about that where i did not work how they can say i have to pay for them.

  3. MarkS says:


    Within the last few days I have received an overpaid tax letter dated 13 February 2012 for tax year 2007-2008, judging by the above normally this would mean that I am too late to make a claim however as I have just now received this letter is my claim still valid? I have never received a cheque for this claim either?

    Any info appreciated.

  4. Rhys Campbell-Smith says:


    I was issued a tax rebate cheque on 11/08/11 but have not yet banked it, is this cheque still valid or has it expired?? If it has expired what is my next move to getting the money back??


  5. l berry says:

    If I lose my job on the 31 march 2012 will I have a tax rebate from my job?

  6. Mark says:

    I have overpaid tax through my job for years 2005-06 and 2006-07. I also have income from a rental property for these years. I have not been asked to complete a self assessment but submitted a tax return (before 31 Jan 2012) for both years.

    I have been told that the time limit has expired for both these years. Is this correct?

  7. jonathan says:

    How late can I do a tax retrun online. I have an outstranding return from 08/09, but am up to date otherwise. I have been told I cannot do this 08/09 return online by someone, but other officials from the tax office have not mentioned this when I have been making enquiries about doing it online!?

  8. Sandy says:

    whilst filling in my tax return for the first time i think i may have put expenses , tax and earnings in the wrong boxes, will i still be able to make a claim for 07/08 , since then have used an accountant and have received refund ever since .

  9. anthony newall says:

    Is there any way that the tax office will acept an expired self assessment form if not can u still be charged there estamte

  10. Sonia says:

    I have recently submitted my tax for my rental properties for 2009/2010 but did not deduct my previous years of loss. I am now aware that I possibly can but I did not submit tax returns for these losses in previous years. Can I still deduct these losses? Period of losses 2003-2008 and resubmit by amending my self assessment claim.

  11. Sab says:

    When I left my job in 1991 I had fallen ill and had memory lapse. I returned to my home country.

    Today, 20 years on — I discovered in my files a P45 form which was not submitted plus pay slips etc.

    I am old now and badly in need of the money for health reasons.

    Is there anyway to appeal?

    Last entries on deductions working sheet —
    Total pay was 7287 pounds while total tax to date was pounds 1547.

    Grateful for your kind assistance

  12. jemima says:

    Hi, I recently called the Inland revenue and the adviser told me I was sent to a cheque for tax year 2004/2005 which I never received. She was very negative when i asked if it was possible to trace it because I did not cash it or see it for that matter! Do you think I have any chances of receiving a different cheque?

  13. Vipul says:

    I would like to see if I’m eligible for tax rebates from past tax years but I do not still have my P60 from all the period
    what do I do?

  14. Mrs W says:

    Hi there,

    I believe I have overpaid tax for the year ending 5th April 2006. I see from the table above that I have missed the deadline for claiming back tax through Self Assessment; however, I was in employment during this time and having tax deducted from my salary through PAYE. Am I therefore able to make a claim up until 31st January 2012? If so, how would I go about doing this? Currently, I pay tax through PAYE and also complete Self Assessment tax returns each year. Slightly confused about the difference in the deadlines for Self Assessment claims and claims for tax refunds from a job.

    Many thanks in advance for your help.

  15. Stef says:

    Is the name and address of my employer which is printed on a P60 slip the definitive legal employer? The employers address infers I still work for a local government employer. Which is contrary to what the private charitable company formed from the local authority have been stating to staff since it was formed three years ago?

    Is the employer information contained in a P60 not sacrosanct ? With the cuts to local government finance i wish to establish if I am actually entitled to consider myself an existing local government employee when my P60 clearly confirms this to be the case.

    How would you perceive the legal position?

  16. Claire says:


    Is it true that the deadline for receiving our P60’s from our employers is 31st May?

    We have been asking for them constantly, as a number of us are due tax rebates, but we still haven’t received them.

    What can we do? Can we report them to anyone?


    • TaxFix says:

      Claire: Yes this is true, your employer should have given you your P60 no later than the 31st May. You could report your employer to the Inland Revenue, or if you prefer not to rock the boat, you could simply writer to your employer asking for a ‘statement of earnings’ on company headed paper. This can be used as a replacement for a P60 when claiming a tax rebate and your employer is required under the data protection act to provide this.

  17. Anonymous says:

    Hello. It seems that I have just missed out on the deadline to claim a tax refund for tax year 2003/04. Would the HMRC consider a claim under any circumstances if I apply now? I was on an emergency code during tax year 2003/04 and started work in June ’03 (this was my first job). Many thanks.

    • TaxFix says:

      Hi Anonymous,

      It is unlikely that you will be able to claim if you missed the deadline, because the Inland Revenue will no longer hold your employment records for that time. Sorry

  18. Anonymous says:

    I would like to see if I’m eligible for tax rebates from past tax years but I do not still have my P60 from all the period
    what do I do?

    • admin says:

      OK. What you can do if you do not have your P60 or P45’s is to write to your previous employers and ask for a ‘statement of earnings’ on company headed paper. This will be accepted by the Inland Revenue as a replacement for any lost P60 or P45. If you would like we can send you a template statment of earnings letter to send to your employer. Just Email us on:

  19. Anonymous says:

    How can i calculate my total income & tax deducted? I did diffierent jobs & have no records.

    • admin says:

      Do you have your last pay slip?

      Your pay slip would show how much you earned and how much you paid in tax, you could then use this to see if you were due a tax rebate.

      One other option is to contact your old employers are ask them for a statement of earnings on company headed paper. They are required by law to provide this and the statement of earnings will be accepted by the Inland Revenue as a replacement for any lost P45 or P60’s

Leave a Reply