Could You Be Claiming Blind Person’s Tax Allowance?

Are you, or someone you know, registered as a blind person?

There are many different types of tax allowances and tax reliefs available whether you are employed or self-employed.  One little known allowance is Blind Person’s Tax Allowance which helps reduce your tax liability if you are registered as a blind person.

Here is our guide to how this allowance works.


You can claim Blind Person’s Allowance if:

  • You are certified blind
  • You are on a local authority register of blind persons
  • You live in Scotland or Northern Ireland and are unable to perform any work for which eyesight is essential

If you are unable to use up some or all of your Blind Person’s Allowance, you may be able to transfer it to your spouse or civil partner.

There are no age or income restrictions for Blind Person’s Allowance.

Claiming Blind Person’s Tax Allowance

The level of Blind Person’s Allowance generally changes every year.  It is effectively an addition to your Personal Tax Allowance and is added to your personal allowance to increase the point at which you start paying income tax.  The aim of the allowance is to increase the amount of your earnings which are tax free, and therefore to reduce your tax burden.

If you think you are eligible to claim Blind Person’s Allowance, then you should call HMRC immediately to discuss your claim.

Transferring your allowance

If your tax bill is not enough to use up all of your Blind Person’s Tax Allowance, you can request that any unused allowance is transferred to your spouse or civil partner.

You do this by either calling HMRC or by completing form 575 ‘Notice of transfer of surplus Income Tax allowances’.

You should remember that even if you do not pay tax and your spouse or civil partner does, you can still transfer your unused Blind Person’s Allowance to them.

1 comment

  1. Mr.V.Bartlett says:

    Can i claim tax allowance for beening partly blind

Leave a Reply