Claiming Tax Back When You Have Stopped Working

claiming tax back when you have stopped working

More and more people have stopped working over the past 12 months, for reasons such as redundancy, early retirement or to pursue other interests.

If you have stopped working at some point within the last 6 years part- way through the tax year, you are probably eligible to claim a tax refund from HMRC. Below we have a compiled a list of common questions and answers:

I have stopped working, can I claim any tax back?

Yes. If you have stopped working any time within the last 6 years you can claim a tax refund. If, however, you stopped working during this tax year (after April 5th) you will need to wait until the end of the tax year before making a claim.

How much Tax can I claim back? Can I claim it all back?

This depends on how much you have earned and how much you have paid in tax. Sometimes you can claim back all the tax that you have paid in the year that you stopped working. For an estimate of your tax rebate, you can use our tax rebate calculator.

How can I check to see how much my tax rebate will be?

On your last day of employment you should have been given a P45 from your employer. On the P45 there will an amount of income and tax paid for the year. Input these numbers into our tax rebate calculator and it will tell you instantly if you are due a tax refund and how much your refund is likely to be.

What if I have lost my P45 or my employer never gave me one?
Claiming tax back without a P45 is possible. All you need to do is write to your previous employer and ask for a ‘Statement of Earnings’. Your previous employer is required by law to provide this and the Inland Revenue accepts this document as a sufficient replacement for a lost P45 or P60.

Is it possible to claim my National Insurance back also?

A portion of your National insurance payments can be claimed and transferred into a private pension. More information is available on our NI rebate pages.

Do you have any more questions?

If you have a question that has not been answered please send us an Email:

Need help with a Tax Refund?

apply for a tax rebate


  1. Louise Docherty says:

    Hi I was made redundant 22nd May 2009 and I don’t plan on going back to work until my youngest Son is in Nursery which will be after April 2011. I have the form to send off but no address! Could you please give me the address.

    Thank you
    Louise Docherty

  2. johir says:

    hi i usde to work for a company from 2006 till 2010 and i earn last year abaut 22.495.90 and how much i will be get back

  3. Dan C. says:

    Right now i am in a 6 months on going contract,from 24th of may till 29th of november,2010 as an RMO.My earnings is supposed to be about 28000 pounds,subject to taxes and national insurance.My tax code is 647L.When do you think i should aply for a tax refund,and,if i am eligible to it,what the amount would be.This is my first job in the UK and after that i would be going back home.I need to know if this tax refund is the same thing with the personal allowance.Thank you…

  4. anonymous says:

    I worked last summer for 3 months, and i earned around £3000 and paid a total tax of around £116, i only worked 3 months because it was a summer job and then attended university. Am i able to reclaim Tax?

    • TaxFix says:

      Hi Anonymous,

      The tax free allowance last year was £6,475. As you earned below this you can claim back all of the tax that you paid!

Leave a Reply