Claiming Tax Back on a Working Holiday Visa

Working Holiday Visa Claim Tax Back

Every year, hundreds of thousands of people come to the UK to travel and work on a working holiday visa. Many travelers do not realise that when they return to their home country they are eligible to claim a tax refund on the taxes they paid in the UK. Here our tax expert answers some questions on how to claim a tax refund if you have been on a working holiday visa in the UK.

I am on a Working Holiday Visa. Can I claim a tax rebate?
Yes. As you are on a working holiday visa, you will be staying in the UK temporarily. As a result you will be able to claim a tax refund.

How much Tax can I claim back? Can I claim it all back?
This will depend on how much you have earned and paid in tax within the tax year. If for example you entered the UK at the start of March and worked immediately, there would only be one month left of the tax year and it is likely you will be able to claim back any tax that you paid. For an estimate of your tax rebate, you can use our tax refund calculator.

What do I need to claim my tax refund?
At the end of the tax year you should be given a P60. You can use this to check and claim your tax refund for the previous tax year. If you are leaving the UK, your employer should provide you with a P45. Once you have this, you can claim a tax refund

I have lost my P60/P45, can I still claim a tax rebate?
Yes. It might take a little longer but it is still possible to claim a tax refund without a P45 or P60. Simply ask all of your employers for a statement of earnings which is a sufficient replacement for a P45/P60 for the Inland Revenue. For more information read our article: claiming tax back without a P45/P60

I was on a working holiday visa but have since returned to my home country, can I still claim a rebate?
Yes. Even if you have returned home, you can still claim a tax refund from when you worked in the UK, as long as you are making your claim for tax paid within the last 6 years.

How long does it take to claim a tax rebate?
If you have your P60/P45 then it usually takes between 40-45 days to claim your tax refund. If you need to get a replacement P60/P45, it can take a little longer.

If you have any other questions, watch the short explainer video below or alternatively ask a question in the comments and we’ll personally answer it:




  1. gurpreet says:

    I lived in uk on working holiday maker visa along with my wife and we delevired a child here in uk and start getting child benefit and we leave uk within our visa period and still we are getting child benefit, Can we apply for visitor visa for uk.

  2. Benny says:


    Are HMRC still in the process of issuing backdated P800’s to 2003-04 for those who overpaid during previous years? If so, any idea when they will be issuing another waive?

  3. Lisa Jane says:

    Hello there, I worked in the UK full time for four months and even though I’m returning home in a week to Australia my employer is going to send me my P45 and P60 to me there.

    I was wondering whether I need a National Insurance number to claim my tax back, because I don’t think I have one. I can’t remember ever directly applying for one? Should I apply for one before I leave?

    And secondly should I start reclaiming my tax at the end of April which is the end of the UK financial year or in July which is the end of the Australian financial year?

    Thank you!

  4. keiko says:

    Where do I have to submit my P60 and P45 if I want to get tax rebate?

  5. keiko says:

    Where Do I have to submit my P60 and P45 if I want to do tax rebate?

  6. sam says:

    im on a working holiday visa i came here at the start of the financial year last year and have been still workin till date but i do not leave till september this year could i claim my tax if im still workin in the uk for the 2010/2011 financial year? or would i have to wait till i leave, is it possible i may owe tax? caz im working in michilian star restaurants,i’am a full time chef and i earn quite alot over 1200 a month after tax

  7. yasin says:

    how much tax and ni can i claim back

  8. Rob says:

    I,ve just returned from working holiday in UK. I was self employed and I paid tax for first tax year(I only had to pay 4 pounds), and now for second year have earned about 13000 pounds with tax due in 2011 tax year. Must I first pay the tax and then claim return or is there a form I can complete without having to pay the tax? Thanks, Rob

  9. Anonymous says:

    Dear Sir/ Madam

    How do I go about sending a claim to my tax office on my own? Besides my P45, what are the other required tax forms? Will I be able to claim both my tax refund and national insurance refund in one process? I am almost at the end of my working holiday visa and have stopped working already.

    Thank you for your assistance.

    Kind regards

    • TaxFix says:

      Anonymous: You will need to send your P45/P60/statement of earnings as well as a completed P85/P91/P85/P86 if applicable. Also include a covering letter detailing your claim.

  10. kaveshnee govender says:

    after 2years of a working holiday visa i returned to my country, i got married and returned to the uk after a year, am i eligible to claim my tax back for the 2years i was here as a working holiday maker?

  11. Samantha says:

    I am on a holiday working visa but will be staying in the UK under a different visa am I still in title to any tax back

  12. Victoria says:

    I came here to the uk in 2002 on a working holiday visa i am still leaving in the uk and married now but when i was working i used to use a temporary national insurance number which was my birth day then am i still intitled to claiming for the 2 years that i was working on the holiday visa

  13. Anonymous says:

    Hi there, I worked in the UK for several months back in 2008, and didn’t realize any of this. According to your calculator, I am eligible, but I am not sure who to talk to.

    I went to the national insurance refund page, and the terms and conditions said that they charge 90 pounds if you get a rebate and 20 pounds on top of that if they have to send it to your bank account over seas.

    That eats up most of my return. Is there some other way to go about it?

    • TaxFix says:

      Anonymous: You can always claim your tax refund yourself. We offer a service to help people claim their tax back, but it is possible to complete the claim yourself. You will need to send your claim to your local tax office in the UK together with the required tax forms. Let us know if we can be of any help.

Leave a Reply