Claiming Tax Back After Losing A Job

claiming tax back  after losing a job

Often people don’t realise that if they have been fired or lost their job they can apply, for an often large, tax refund from the Inland Revenue. This article aims to answer some of the main questions on the subject.

I have lost my job, can I claim a tax rebate?
If you lost your job there is a good chance that you have overpaid tax, as you are unlikely to have received your full tax free allowance.

To calculate your tax refund, just look on your P45 to see how much you have earned in the tax year and how much you have paid in tax and then input these amounts into our tax rebate calculator.

If I was fired can I still claim a tax rebate?
Yes. It makes no difference if you were fired due to fault of your own or if you were made redundant, you can still apply. What will influence the size of the refund is how much you earned and how much you paid in tax. You have nothing to loose so make sure you check.

How long does it take to claim a tax refund when unemployed.
Refunds usually take between 4-6 weeks but vary depending on the backlog with your local tax office and the time of the year. During the tax season the Inland Revenue often takes longer to issue refunds.

Can I claim a national insurance refund from the Inland Revenue?
As long as you are resident in the UK you can claim back a portion of your National Insurance contributions. This is known as contracting out of the state pension. You can read more here on how to do this.



  1. Mirriam Mathebula says:

    I lost my job Nov 2011 can I still claim my tax?

  2. Ashlea says:

    What if u get paid off the books? Can u still claim taxes?

  3. Julia Wilsher says:

    The shop im working in is closing in 3 weeks but my employer is opening another shop about 3 weeks after that so there will be a period of about 3 weeks where i will not be working.Can i get my national insurance paid?

  4. Stephen Jones says:

    Hi, I’m being made redundant at the end of March 2011, due to my redundacy package I will fall within the super tax bracket (approx

Leave a Reply