Claim Tax Back When Leaving the UK

Many people leave the UK for various reasons; to explore a new country or to return to an old one. Whatever the reason, you will almost certainly be due some tax back when you leave the country. Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions on this topic from our professional tax experts:

Who is due a tax refund when leaving the country?
Almost anyone that has worked in the UK, paid income tax and then leaves for an extended period of time will be able to apply for a tax rebate when leaving the country.

Will I be able to Claim all my tax back when leaving the UK for good?
It will depend upon your income for each previous tax year and how much tax you paid. However, you will almost certainly be due a tax refund from the tax year in which you leave the UK.

How can I calculate what my tax refund will be when leaving the UK?
When you finish working you should be given a P45 from your employer. This P45 will show the income and tax figures for the year. Input these numbers into our tax rebate calculator and it will tell you instantly if you are due a tax refund.

What about tax rebates for previous years?
If you have P60s for previous years you can check to see if you have overpaid in these years too. The longest you can claim is for 6 years in arrears.

When can I claim my tax back?
As soon as you stop working you can claim any tax rebate that you might be due.

If you have any other questions, check out the explainer video that we created below or some of the other related articles. If you still have questions, use the comments below to ask a question:

Other Tax Back Articles:


  1. robert says:

    hi i’ve been working and living in the uk since 2002., i’m from the philippines and became a british citizen in 2010. i’m planning to leave UK for good this year. can i claim or get tax refund for the years i worked in the UK??

    • DavidTaxFix says:

      If you are leaving the UK you can make a claim for a tax rebate. Usually the rebate is only for the year in which you leave the UK, however we can check other eligible years (the previous 4).

  2. Peter says:

    I have dual citizenship (UK & Australian). Am I eligible to claim tax back if i’m moving back to Australia part way through the tax year? Thanks in advance.

  3. Andrew says:

    I am a foreigner and started working in the UK from June 2007 to July 2012. I am considering leaving the UK for good on 15 July 2013. Can I claim all the income taxes and NI already paid throughout these periods. Many thanks for your reply.

    If you do the job on behalf of me how long it will take to get the final payments in my account from today.

    • TaxFix says:

      Andrew: Usually you will only be due a tax rebate for the year in which you leave the UK. We can check other eligible years for you however to see if you are due a tax refund for those years to. When you finish working you should get a P45 from your company. When you have your P45, you can make your claim here:

  4. Karina says:

    Hi,I have a question about tax refund leaving the UK.
    If I work in the UK last 3 years,i’m non resident,I will come back to my country,don’t want any pensions or tax credits in the UK,can I claim 70% of my tax back?If no,than,where gone this money?For three years I don’t have any tax credits or medical problems at all.Many thanks.

    • TaxFix says:

      Karina: If you are leaving the UK you can claim a tax rebate but not a refund on national insurance. The amount of your rebate will depend on how much you earned and paid in tax. When you stopped working you should have been given a P45, when you have this you can claim your tax rebate at the link here:

  5. sam fortes says:

    Hi there, i left the country about 2 months ago i lived in UK for 5 years,i’ve send the p45 and all the details requested when i left but i haven’t received the money back or any information about it. i can’t reach HMRC by phone and i’ve tried several times . there’s any other way to known if i’m getting my refund??there’s any email or phone number directly for REFUNDS?

    • TaxFix says:

      sam fortes: Sometimes refunds can take longer then 2 months. If you can not get through on the phone, you can try writing to your local tax office.

  6. veritas says:

    NI cannot be claimed back under any circumstances

  7. Raquel says:

    So If I ve worked here 4 years and paid the right tax every year,and I want to leave UK for good,I will not receive any tax that I ve paid?Is that?

  8. Raquel says:

    I will leave the country for good and im not English.How can I claim my tax back for the 4 years that I ve worked here and how can I know how much I can get?

  9. Josef says:

    Hi, I am a foreinger and I am working in UK for more than 5 years. I decide to leave the country for good in couple months. I would like to know how much I can earn in gross a year to get all my tax back?

    • TaxFix says:

      Josef: The tax free allowance for the 2013/2014 tax year is £9,449. This means that you can earn £9,449 before you need to pay any tax.

  10. Binod Thapa says:

    Hi, I am a foreigner and rite now in Nepal, stared to working in UK from sep.2010 to till 2012 sep. my employer paid me as a PAYE and UTR system.I had received my tax money for 2010 in UK, than for the two years I didn’t received yet.I will not back to UK again for few years due to my family reason and my visa also already finished.starting from 201218 may 2012 I started to working as a self- employed (UTR) system. So can I claim my tax back for all the 2 years I worked there. Waiting for your reply, Thank you.

  11. Money Sharma says:

    I came uk as nursing student and completed my studies in 2012 since march 2012 I got Psw and now working in Nhs I going to leave uk I the month of August what should do to get my tax redund while leaving uk permanently which form need to fill,complete and when

  12. Adam says:

    My Italian friend has worked in england for 3 years and would like to go back to Italy for good in the summer. If she took the tax refund and then decided to return in a years time, what would be the tax implications???

  13. Yaling says:

    I am leaving UK for good next month. I have got my p45 and filled my p85. I need to post it to HMRC, except p45 and p85. Do I need to post any other documents ,like my passport copy and airplane ticket copy and so on . Thanks so much!

  14. Fabrice says:

    Hi there,
    Is it true that when you leave UK and claim a tax refund, then you are not allowed to work in UK for the next 5 years?

    • TaxFix says:

      No, this is not true. Claiming a tax refund does not affect your eligibility to come back and work in the UK

  15. Filippo says:

    Good morning, I have got a question about the taxes that i payed between 2006 and 2008 in UK.
    I have been working for more than an employer in those two years but i’ve got only the P45 of my last job. Is it enoght for asking the taxes back of the both’s years? I have also got one P60 but the one of the 2007, not the one of the 2008.
    thanks a lot!

  16. Clem says:

    Hi,I’ve been living and working in the Uk for more than 3 years now. I just got my P45, but its information regarding this financial year. Can I claim tax back from each year? Do I need to send my p60 too?

  17. Santiago says:

    I did not received the P45, it appears to be lost in the mail. However I do have a letter from my employer with all the information included in the P45 and I have all my monthly payment slips. Would I be able to claim tax back without the P45 form?


    • TaxFix says:

      Santiago: If you do not have a P45, you can ask your employer for a statement of earnings on company headed paper. HMRC will accept this as a replacement.

  18. Ahsan says:

    hi, basically i want to leave uk permanently(forever)next year april. i am doing job in uk since 2010 to still now with same company. every year i paid tax about 1200 pound. when i will go back my country, then i will get all my money or not. if i get all money, what date i need apply for that.

  19. Manuela says:

    Hi, I’m leaving UK after 7 years, I understand that I can claim over paid income tax for present year, what about the previous years? and also is it possible to claim National Insurance contribution?

    thank you

  20. marco says:

    l been working in uk, l start working in 1998 to 2004 , l never claim anything, can l still claim from the time .many thanks

  21. irfan says:

    Hi, I am international student . ijust finished my study. i am doin work part time and do full time in hollidays . my total earning now is £9000 and still march is remaining so its up to limit . so can i get my tax back? i earn £12 per hour. so its high .

    • TaxFix says:

      irfan: How much tax have you paid because of that £9,000 of earnings. If you have paid at the 20% rate you will mostly likely be due a big refund. If you know how much tax you have paid you can check to see how much your refund will be by using our calculator here.

  22. Max Furu says:

    I have worked in the UK for 8 years suddenly i had to leave the UK for family reason, I still have my National Insurance Number and some pay sleep when i use to work in Harrods, can I claim some tax back.

    My work employment is back to 2000 and I left in 2008.

    Could you please give a honest answer.

    I am looking forward to Yours answer.

  23. ana ion says:

    when do i have to close my financial year?

  24. Valeria Canoni says:

    I left the UK 3 months ago, after having worked there for 3 years. My first question is, can I claim back only the tax overpayment? How about National Insurance payments?

    Also, I have been offered to work as a contractor for a company in the UK from my home country (outside of the EU). Does this influence the amount of tax refund? Do you know if tax is still levied in the UK if I work as a contractor abroad?

    Many thanks!

  25. Madhu Jyothul says:

    Hi, My name is madhu, I worked in UK from 27 Aug 2012 to 16 Feb 2013. I am leaving UK after that. Could you please guide me in the documents I have to get from my employer in order to claim my tax back. If so what are the amounts and bills that I would expect to show.


  26. Atchara says:

    I’m a bit worried because I left UK almost a year before I left, I already claimed tax back. Few month later I got the letter from HM&Revenue said that I need to pay the tax back around 66 pound. So what should I do then?

  27. Robbo says:

    I’m self employed and I’ve not claimed my tax return for the last 7 years but I have now paper work can I still get a rebating?

  28. zona says:

    I am planning to go back to my country so I need to claim the tax back. However, what if I come back next year,do I have to pay sny fine?

  29. Emmanuelle says:

    I am french and want to leave the uk, how can I claim back my taxes

  30. Mauro Spanu says:

    I am about to leave UK, and I’ve been off work for about 5 years.I have my P45 from my last employer (dated 8/2007) and the P60
    dated April 2007. Can I claim a tax rebate? And after that what about if I decide to return to UK to work, for example after 2 years?
    Thank you in advance
    Kind regards

  31. Ms D says:

    I’ve been living in the uk for 13 yrs. I plan to leave the uk in August and therefore will stop working in July 2013. How far back can I claim my taxes and ni? And when can I start the procedure to claim please? Thanks a lot. Ms D

Leave a Reply