Claim Tax Back When Leaving the UK

claim tax back when  leaving the UK

If you are leaving the UK you can claim a tax rebate from the Inland Revenue on income tax you have paid. We have answers some common questions on the subject below:

1. Can I claim tax back when leaving the UK?

Yes. If you have worked in the UK and are leaving for an extended period of time you will be able to claim a tax rebate on any tax that you have paid while working in the UK.


2. Who can claim a tax refund when leaving the UK?

There is no hard and fast rule. Below is a list of people who could claim a tax refund on leaving the UK:

  • Someone going to a gap year
  • An international student returning home
  • A person or family emigrating to another country
  • Someone returning home from a work/travel visa

3. How can I calculate how much my tax rebate will be?

When you have finished working you should be given a P45. At the end of any tax year you will also be given a P60. These tax documents will show how much tax you have paid and how much you have earned. Input the total for the years into our tax rebate calculator

If you have any other questions, watch the short explainer video below or alternatively ask a question in the comments and we’ll personally answer it:


  1. Margaret says:

    Hi leaving my job end of June and going to work in Australa for a 1 yr Gap year, how do i claim for my Tax bak or what am i entitled to?

  2. Pawel says:

    Hi I have been working since 2005 earnings average 20000 gross yearly, might leave UK next year. May I claim money back for tax being paid for whole period of my stay in UK? The other thing, is that all what might be claimed back or there is option to claim i.e. national insurance etc. ?

  3. ali says:

    i just want to know if a student paid 1258 tax and ni fee more than 700 and now he is going back home how much tax he can get back

  4. Smalls Eddie says:

    I’m an international student returning home at the monthend of april. I plan to resign from work by end of march. Now, How long does it take to receive the money after you claim back tax?

  5. Jonboy C says:

    It is likely that I am going to go traveling for a few months in the near future, which will result in me resigning from work and being (technically) unemployed for the final three months of this tax year. As such, is there the possibility of a tax refund / tax rebate on income tax and National insurance refund / rebate?

    Many Thanks for your help

    • TaxFix says:

      Jonboy C: Yes, as you will not work a full tax year you are eligible to apply for a tax rebate. When you stop working your employer should give you a P45. When you have this you can apply for your tax rebate here.

Leave a Reply