Are all Students due tax rebates?

Most people think that students do not have to pay tax. This is unfortunately incorrect. It makes no difference whether you are 3 or 33, you still have to pay the Inland Revenue a proportion of your earnings if you earn more than your tax free allowance of £6,425

However, the majority of students do hold one major advantage over the rest of the population. If you are a student and you are working, it is very likely that you may be due a tax rebate. The reason for this is because most students who do work will earn less than their personal allowance. A student would have to work for nearly a quarter of the year on a full time basis before they would use up all of their tax free allowance. Many employers will not take into the account that you are only going to be working for part of the tax year and if you have paid too much tax, you cannot rely on the Inland Revenue contacting you to tell you. The onus is on you to make a claim.

Students are one of the poorest demographics, as they have very little disposable income. If you are a student, don’t let the government take away the small amount of money that you do earn. Why not check to see if you are able to claim a tax rebate. With Tax Fix you have nothing to lose and could be in for a big windfall!

The year you decide to go out into the real world to find a job you will have only worked for part of a tax year, which is another factor which will help secure you a tax rebate. Remember, you can claim a tax rebate for the past 6 years, so think about any summer jobs or holiday work you might have had and make those claims.


  1. Anonymous says:

    Hi, i have been working for the last 3yrs az an apprentice and i am student at college 1 day a week, am i entitled to any tax rebate of any kind?

  2. Sennur Keke says:

    I have worked in the UK between 2004 and 2008 while I was at the univerity on a student visa. I left the UK at the end of 2008. I didnt pay tax at last period, 2008-2009, but paid over $3,500 between 2006-2008. Can I still claim them? thanks

  3. ephron baptiste says:

    I was on a full time 2 year course at college and working part time (24 hours a week) in a job. I was told by a colleague that I should be paying less tax because I am a full time student. He called it student tax. I started the job before I started the course and the tax I was paying was still the same amount through the whole 2 year course. Is it true that I should have been paying less tax from my job.

  4. Selina says:

    So are students entitled to no extra tax free allowance than people working full time all year? I work around 40-50 hours a week during the summer and have two separate jobs so my tax free allowance is only around £3000 for each. But the rest of the year I will only be earning about £60 a week. Does this mean I may be entitled to a tax rebate? Thanks.

  5. Marvin Waite says:

    Good Afternoon

    My name is Marvin Waite. In January 2011 I was informed that I could claim for expenses relating to Construction work and College courses relating to employment from 2006 to 2010. I wasn’t aware of this until recently so I never kept any receipts or proof. I have kept receipts and proof from January 2011 but not the previous years. Since 2006 up to now the Construction work I get has not been consistent. There have been times where I have been in receipt of Jobseekers Allowance. I contacted the DWP and they have sent me all the amounts that I have received from them in the past years. Since January 2011 I made it priority to complete all the outstanding tax returns at the time I didnt have all the figures, payslips etc. I now have most of the figures, payslips and I realise that I will have to amend the figures and submit them again. I would be most grateful if you have any advice or information that you feel can help me. Thank you for taking the time out to read my statement.

    Kind Regards

    Marvin Waite

  6. mary says:

    i filled up the p46 form before so i did not pay tax until 6500£, a new year started now on the 1 of april. can i fill up the p46 form again or that was just once??

  7. Joe says:

    if i am a part time student going to night classes, is there any tax rebate available for me?

  8. employee says:

    Are student loan payments tax deductable?

  9. Pato says:

    Can an International student leaving the uk after his studies claim back his National insurance and tax?

  10. savdeepk. says:

    I am an overseas student. Do i have to pay tax and N.I. If yes how can i take bac

  11. Cheryl says:

    Hi I worked full time last year before starting university and didnt earn enough money so am eligible to claim a tax refund. I know i need to fill out a p50 form and send off my p45 alongside it but i am hopefully just about to obtain a part time job to finance my studies this year, so will I not need the p45 for my new employer?

  12. raj says:

    Hi I’m international student and I’m working in a company as part time worker,my salary is 615 paund per month. However I was taxed for, can I claim tax refund? When I claim and how? thanks.

    • TaxFix says:

      raj: Were you working before April 2010, if so you can claim a tax refund for the previous tax year now. If you starting working after 5th April 2010 you will need to wait until either the end of the tax year (5th April 2011) or when you leave the UK.

  13. lucy says:

    Hi I’m student and I’m working for a company but I realize that I have emergency tax. how can I change that to studen tax and how can apply to recieve my tax back?

    • TaxFix says:

      lucy: If you are paying emergency tax you can often overpay tax. At the end of the tax year you will be given a P60 or a P45 when you stop working. When you have this you can claim your any overpayment of emergency tax by applying here.

  14. KiploK says:

    I am doing an MBA by distance learning in the UK and working full time at the same time in the UK (earning 30k per year).

    Will I be eligible to get some tax refund?

    Will that be when I decide to leave the UK or can already get something back because of being a student?
    Thanks in advance

    • TaxFix says:

      KiploK: You do not get a tax refund just because you are a student. A lot of students earn below the tax free allowance, and so can claim back all their tax. If you are leaving the UK you can claim a tax refund. When you finish working you will be given a P45, when you have this you can apply here.

  15. kthakur says:

    Hello – I am on student visa and worked for a company – however I was taxed for, can i claim my tax? and how? thank you so much.

    • TaxFix says:

      kthakur: It all depends on how much you earned and how much you pay in tax. Most students can claim a tax refund. If you have your P60/P45 you can claim your tax rebate here.

  16. student says:

    Hi, I am at university and am on holiday, working part time- am I eligible to pay tax? and i will carying on with my job during term time, however it will only be for 2 days.
    what forms do i need to make sure i am not taxed? and how do i do it?
    thank you.

  17. Anonymous says:

    In the year 2006 and 2007 i was at college and was working, i have my p60 can i still claim my tax rebate? and again i started uni again oct last year and still working can i claim my tax rebate after the tax year?

    • TaxFix says:

      Anonymous: If you were working as a student there is a good chance that you can claim a large proportion of your tax back. If you have your P60, its quite simple to make a claim, you can do so by applying here. Don’t leave your claim too long as refunds do expire.

  18. Sunshine says:

    In the past year I have never been deductions by tax, but in the last two months I’ve noticed on my pay-slips that I have been deductions tax at least £3 a week under tax code 647L when I did not work over 20 hrs per week and I am on student visa.

    Could you please tell me why?

    P.S My P60 end of year certificate 2009-10 total £6083.51

    • TaxFix says:

      Sunshine: The current tax free allowance is £6,475. So you can earn this much before you need to pay any tax. If you work more hours then normal, your employer might calculate that based on those hours you will go over the tax free allowance and therefore need to pay tax. Check at the end of the tax year (or when you leave the UK) how much you have earned, and if it is below the tax free allowance, you can claim all your tax back.

  19. maddy says:

    How can we make claim of the past 6 years and if we earn more than 6500 how can we claim tax back.Can we claim all the tax paid during our stay as student in U.K while we leave the country once and for all.

    • TaxFix says:

      Hi Maddy,

      You can make a claim for your tax refund by applying here.

      Even if you earn above £6,475 you can still make a claim, though you might not get 100% of the tax that you paid back.

      When you finished working you will be given a P45. Once you have this you can make your claim for the current year. You can make a claim for previous years now.

  20. Anonymous says:

    Where do i apply to receive my tax rebate?

  21. Anonymous says:

    If you are working and at the same time have a student visa are we entitled for a rebate?

    • TaxFix says:

      If you are on a student visa you can claim for a tax rebate.

      Most students who work can claim back all their tax, as they do not earn above the tax free allowance (currently £6,475).

      Even if you earn above the tax free allowance you can still make a claim.

Leave a Reply