Am I Entitled to a Tax Refund?

Am I entitled to a tax  refund

One of the most common questions that we get asked is: “Am I entitled to a tax refund?” Everyone’s circumstances are different, however there are a number of common factors which can be isolated to assess if you are eligible for a tax rebate.

How do I know if I am entitled to a tax rebate?
It will depend on how much income and tax you have paid in the year. As a general rule of thumb, if any of the following apply then you will be able to apply for a tax rebate from the Inland Revenue:

If any of the above apply then you can apply for a tax rebate assessment

What forms do I need to claim my tax refund?
The more information that you can provide with your application, the quicker and more straight forward it will be. In order to make a claim you will need:

How can I calculate my tax refund entitlement?
If you have a P45/P60 or your wage slips which show how much you have earned in the tax year and how much you have paid in tax you can calculate your tax rebate entitlement.

All you need to do is take the income and tax figures for the year and input them in the tax rebate calculator. The calculator will then work out how much you can expect to get back from the Inland Revenue.

What is the deadline for applying for a tax rebate?
If you want to claim your tax rebate you will need to do so within 6 years of the tax year that you are claiming for. The deadlines can change so we recommend that you submit your application as quickly as possible to avoid the rebate expiring.



  1. Brenda says:

    If I have only worked 10 months out of a tax year – am I entitled to any tax back

  2. Dave Betts says:

    If i am leaving work for good at the end of March,can i expect a tax rebate ?

  3. kelly coy says:

    When will I receive my tax back and how much will it be

  4. Daniel says:

    Can i claim for this year yet?

  5. sm says:

    Can i fill in a tax return without a P45/P60? The payroll company sent it to my old address which was then thrown out by the new tenants. I tried to contact the company several times for a copy but they refused and are now saying they don’t have it anymore. What can I do?

  6. Ange says:

    How do I find out what I earned in 07 to 08 if I haven’t got my p60 or wage slip

  7. Mohamed says:

    Im a student and i have rights to work only 20 hours per week…but im doing about 40-45 hours per week last year…can i request for a tax return…And will i get in trouble when i goin to renew my visa.

  8. anonymous says:

    Alot of people in my work place have had tax rebates for paying to much tax, iv been ther just as long,bt seem to be the only one not to have one! I dnt undastnd why.

  9. Buddy says:

    I am starting a new job and just want to know my rights. From when would I be entitled to SSP. ? Will I only be entitled after a certain period?

  10. Janet Miles says:

    Hi i applied in feb or march to you to see if i could get any tax back,i had one call from you asking for my p46s i sent what i had and you said you would have to get my others. any idea how long i may be waiting?

  11. ciao says:

    I have been out of work since september. Would i be entitled to a tax refund and if so would it be from april 2010 to september 2011? Please clarify. thank you

  12. thierry says:

    Can I claim a tax rebate for 2004/05 ?

  13. Abby says:

    I have two jobs when i am using the tax caluclater do i nee to add both groos amounts together?

  14. margie says:

    I am an international student and I have received my P60 and it showed that I have earned more than my tax free allowance.In the tax refund calculator it doesn’t show any due amount.Can I still claim tax rebate?

  15. Dragonfly35 says:

    I have been working part time since about last July due ti ill health (I have MS). Will I be able to claim a tax rebate?

  16. Bernadette Bernard says:

    I have work for 30 years and neve had a tax rebate, am I entitled to a rebate?

  17. david mc dermott says:

    I was suddenly made redundant in december 2010. The company failed to pay me salary dur for the months of October and November of this year. My annual salary was £43,600.

    i am claiming statutory redundancy and other entitlements from the government and I am currently unemployed.

    am I due a tax rebate

  18. Shaz says:

    I have been workin since last year november an ive been getting emergency taxed how do i go about gettin a tax rebate?

  19. Shaz says:

    I have been workin since last year november an ive been getting emergency taxed how do i go about gettin a tax rebate?

  20. dawn says:

    I have always worked full time but recently changed jobs and now work part time, am i entitled to a tax rebate

  21. Ami M says:

    i have been on maternity leave of 10 months, when i had my first wages back in work i was taxed almost 35%. can i claim this back?

  22. Amanda Eisner says:

    Hi, I’m a Canadian working in Edinburgh on a youth mobility visa. I was wondering if I am applicable for a tax rebate and how much it will be? Where do I go about finding this out and when would I receive it? My gross income is 300 pounds per week and I take home 250… Any help would be appreciated. Thank You!

  23. Diane Rae says:

    My previous employer sent back 2 P60’s to the inland revenue in error, they should have totalled £10K, instead the totalled £20K for the last 5 months I was employed with them in that year. I got a letter from the Inland Revenue saying my salary from that year was £10K more than it actually was. From April to August 2009. Will I get a tax rebate?

  24. Dave says:

    I was working for an agency as a temp earlier this year and I didn’t pay income tax. I am now on a permanent contract and pay income tax, would I be eligable for a tax rebate?

  25. Matt says:

    Hi! I aam trying to use your tax rebate calculator and I have a question: Should I add N.I. payments to the “tax deducted” box?

  26. Jon Riddoch says:

    I have been working overseas for over 6 months of the year. How many days do i need to be out the country to claim a tax refund?

  27. Lindsey says:

    i have currently been made redundant from my job role of 3 and half years am i entitled to a tax rebate?

  28. richard dunnell says:

    my wife passed away 2 years ago,i have just been sent a r27 tax form,why is that

  29. Simha says:

    I am leaving UK for Good and my stay here in UK is 182 days in this tax year. Am I eligible to a tax rebate? Please provide me the information

    • TaxFix says:

      Simha: If you are leaving the country, you can claim a tax rebate. When you stop working your employer will give you a P45, when you have this you can make your claim.

  30. Sohel says:

    Hi. I was a student during 2006- Oct 20010. Now I am in post study work visa which will expire in 2012
    After that I will leave UK. My question is can I ask for a tax refund right now. Many thanks.

  31. Michael says:

    My tax code is 647L iwas a married man until very recently (i was divorced a couple of weeks agao).Firstly is this the correct tax code and secondly should i inform the Tax people about my divorce. I never informed them when i married

  32. DA says:

    Hi i studied for 4 years now that i left the country for good can i claim back the tax i paid

  33. Wsin333 says:

    I’ve been working for the company for 2 years on tier1 post-study visa and have decided to leave the UK when my Visa expired. Would I be able to claim my TAX back?, if so, would it be only the recent TAX year or for the whole time I’ve been working?

    • TaxFix says:

      Wsin333: If you’re leaving the united kingdom you can claim a tax rebate. When you stop working you will be given a P45, when you have this you can make your claim by applying here. The rebate is usually just for the year in which you are leaving. We may be due a tax rebate for other years (it will depend on how much you earned and paid in tax during those years). We will automatically check for other eligible years also.

  34. Tom says:

    I have had 3 jobs this year (2010) and have been charged emergency tax when starting new jobs. However, I have not got my P45 or P60. Is there any other way I can claim.
    Also, I would like to find out if i am due a rebate from previous years?…

    • TaxFix says:

      Tom: If you do not have your P45 or P60, you can write to your employer that you were working for at the time and ask for a statement of earnings on company headed paper which will act as a replacement for a P60/P45. If you need help obtaining this we have a template letter you can use, just Email us on: to receive a copy.

  35. irene ferdinales says:

    i retired from work in july this year and want to know if i am entitled to a tax rebate

    • TaxFix says:

      irene ferdinales: If you stop working part way through the tax year there is a good chance that you will be due a tax rebate. You can make a claim after the tax year finishes in April 2011.

  36. over payment on tax says:

    I am on a tax code of 647l i have been on this tax code since june 2009 am i entitled tio any tax rebate

  37. Peter says:

    I took Voluntary Redundancy in Aug ’09, then not worked until April ’10. I paid basic rate tax on the VR at the time and I have just filed my tax return (self assessment) and will be paying the remainder in Jan ’11. My query now relates to the fact that I have been offered re-employment by the same company but they require the VR to be paid in full (pre-tax) over 24months, which will be deducted from my Net wage. Will I be able to claim the tax back on the VR I have paid, as the co will be getting the Gross VR back?

  38. theresa says:

    i have been working 2 jobs for the last 4 years am i entitled to a tax rebate have both my p60s

  39. DAVER says:

    Having just started employment on 19th of July of this year.Having been not been employed in this current tax year 2010/11. My tax code was shown on my weekly pay slip as 647A now changed to 647L with no change in the tax I pay,is this correct? will or should I get a refund? a code change to my allowance?having only just started later in the current tax year or my expections wrong. Regards DAVER

  40. Rac says:

    (i am rubbish at all this tax stuff and dont understand most of it) I started my new job in may 2010 and was not being taxed but about 5 weeks ago it started. Is this right?

  41. alistair says:

    I have been ill since December 2009 and for first three months received full wages then down to SSP I am still off ill am I entitled to a tax rebate for only working part of the year

    • TaxFix says:

      alistair: There is a good chance that you may be, it all depends on how much you earned in the last tax year and how much tax you paid. Were you given a P60 from your employer? If so you can check to see how much your tax refund would be here.

  42. Sandra says:

    In order to calculate my rebate, do I use my monthly pay slips or my yearly P60

  43. Claudia says:

    I am on an emergency tax code. However the tax calculator says I am not due a tax rebate. Why do I have an emergeny tax code? I have had it for over 2 years and am getting worried I pay too much.

    • TaxFix says:

      Claudia: Is this your only job? Your second job should normally be on an emergency tax code. What are you typing into the tax calculator?

  44. Anonymous says:

    I’ve been told I can claim tax back for laundering my works issue clothing and claim for food if working over 15 miles from home

  45. Anonymous says:

    Thank you for your reply to the message sent on 20th July. I have paid all my taxes for all the years im in UK. Could i have a tax rebate though for all those years? or is it calculated for this half tax year left only?

    • TaxFix says:

      Anonymous: It depends on if you have overpaid tax in those other years. You can check to see if you are due a tax rebate by inputting your pay and tax for each year into your tax calculator.

  46. Anonymous says:

    can i apply for a tax rebate if i am self employed? (worked 4 years in UK and now moving back to my country permanently). What forms i need and where can i get them from? Thank you.

    • TaxFix says:

      Anonymous: If you are self employed you should be competing a tax return to let the Inland Revenue know about your earnings. When you complete a tax return any refund can be automatically calculated.

  47. JOHN says:

    I have recently been sacked -3 june 2010 will I be eligable for any tax refund?

    • TaxFix says:

      JOHN: It depends on how much you earn between the time you were sacked and the end of the tax year (April 5th 2011). At the end of the tax year you should check to see if you are due a tax rebate.

  48. Anonymous says:

    Can my employer claim tax rebate on my behalf.

    • TaxFix says:

      Anonymous: Can you be a bit more specific? Do you mean can your employer sign your forms and write to the Inland Revenue pretending to be you?

  49. Anonymous says:

    I was made redundant in july but then started a new job in October am I still due a tax rebate?

    • TaxFix says:

      Anonymous: It depends on how much you earned in total between 6th April 2009 and 5th April 2010 and the amount you paid in tax. You should be able to get this info from your P60 or P45. Once you have found out how much you have earned and paid in tax you can use our free tax rebate calculator to see if you are due a rebate.

  50. David says:

    Ihave recently been offered a cut in hours or voluntary redundancy would i be eligable to a tax rebate if i take redundancy?

    • TaxFix says:

      David: Possily, but you can only claim at the end of the tax year in April. It depends on how much you earn and how much you pay in tax. If you do not get a job for a while you may be due a refund.

Leave a Reply