Am I Entitled to a Tax Refund?

Am I entitled to a tax  refund

One of the most common questions that we get asked is: “Am I entitled to a tax refund?” Everyone’s circumstances are different, however there are a number of common factors which can be isolated to assess if you are eligible for a tax rebate.

How do I know if I am entitled to a tax rebate?
It will depend on how much income and tax you have paid in the year. As a general rule of thumb, if any of the following apply then you will be able to apply for a tax rebate from the Inland Revenue:

If any of the above apply then you can apply for a tax rebate assessment

What forms do I need to claim my tax refund?
The more information that you can provide with your application, the quicker and more straight forward it will be. In order to make a claim you will need:

How can I calculate my tax refund entitlement?
If you have a P45/P60 or your wage slips which show how much you have earned in the tax year and how much you have paid in tax you can calculate your tax rebate entitlement.

All you need to do is take the income and tax figures for the year and input them in the tax rebate calculator. The calculator will then work out how much you can expect to get back from the Inland Revenue.

What is the deadline for applying for a tax rebate?
If you want to claim your tax rebate you will need to do so within 6 years of the tax year that you are claiming for. The deadlines can change so we recommend that you submit your application as quickly as possible to avoid the rebate expiring.



  1. Debby says:

    I started working for myself in August 2012 – have not made a profit, if anything made a loss as in first year, probably around 8k loss – can I claim a tax rebate

  2. michael channing says:

    The firm i worked for went bust in april this year and we got bought by a firm from usa .can i get a tax rebate

  3. Joe T says:

    I changed jobs half way through the tax year taking a pay cut of roughly £2,500. Would I be eligible for a tax rebate?

    • TaxFix says:

      Joe T: It depends on how much you earned in total and how much you paid in tax during the fiscal year. You can check using our calculator here.

  4. Brian Evans says:

    I started working for in-home supportive services in October of 2012 but they back paid me from June 2012.I didn’t receive any money until January of 2013.My question is “Am I still supposed to do my taxes this year or not?

  5. steve says:

    i have been working for the last 3 years and just laid off am i intitled to a tax rebate

  6. Robert Moxon says:

    Am i entitled to a tax refund,i am retired but i still work and pay 20% on all earnings from working.I also pay tax on my pension.I have not worked for the last 3 months.

  7. anon says:

    got 3 months notice from my job and have been on esa since left work in september 2012 am i due for a rebate

    • TaxFix says:

      anon: It will depend on how much you earn in total during the tax year. The tax year does not end until 5th April 2013, so your eligibility will be determined on how much you earned (including any benefit) and how much you paid in tax. When you know these amounts, you can check using our calculator here.

  8. Tax rebate says:

    I claimed a income tax rebate when I went to live abroad for 5 months. I have now come back to the uk and am working. Will I have to pay all the rebate back in one go?? As I could not afford to loose it all out of my first salary ??

  9. Marc says:


    My company provide me with a company car and fuel card. When they recieve my milage return they total up the fuel purchased on the card during the month and divide it by the total miles covered, which in turn gives a cost per mile driven. They then use this rate to charge me for any personal mileage declared.
    As I work on construction sites, my home to work travel is classed as business mileage. However they class the first 15 miles driven each day as personal milage for some reason and therefore charge me.
    This equates to around 300 miles a month which is approx £45.
    I am led to belive that I am able to claim this money back from HMRC based on the actual costs incurred (the price of the fuel per mile).
    I want to know if this is correct and if so how to go about claiming this back on my tax return.

    Kind Regards


  10. bill says:

    i retired in august 2012 will i be entitled to a tax rebate

  11. anonymous says:

    Im self employed not taking any wages,have now got a partime tempory job they,ve asked me for p45.What do I need to get and will it tell them i’m selfemployed as I have not said so, told them I work for someone as it’s gone against me in the past.

  12. Vincenzo says:

    I was dismissed on the 6th of September 2012′, am I entitled to any tax rebate..?

  13. dan says:

    i was made redundent at the end of june ,i went abroad for 3 months and came back in september , i have been claiming jobseekers since september , i plan to go away at the end of november , i was payed £5228.77 from the start of this tax year to the end of june , total tax was £640.20,, predicted jobseekers allowance from 8th september to 30th november is about £800.
    My question is this , based on this information if i was to sign off jobseekers alowance on the 30th november to go abroad, would i be entitled to a tax rebate , and how much roughthly.

  14. Isabella Vita says:

    I’ve just started a new job and I’m 16.
    I’ve been taxed but I’ve only been there maybe 4/5 weeks.
    How and when will I be able to claim my tax?
    Thank you

  15. supernan says:

    i was self employed when i retired in february 2004. i applied for six years of refund in march 2011 as i had been taxed on various investments although my income was only half my entitlement, even when i was working. the year 2005/6 was rejected and when i queried this was told that i should have had that year in before the 31 january 2011. As i had retired before the 2004/5 deadline why did the self employed deadline still apply over a year later, shouldn’t it have reverted to the April deadline?

  16. Kath says:

    In April my place of work closed and I now have to travel to another place of work with the same company. They pay me 40p a mile for this but deduct tax and NI from this. Can I claim a tax rebate?

  17. stu says:

    Last year I was registered as self-employed in a partnership with just my partner and employed. My earnings from employment were £15,000 and our self employed business made a loss of £5,000. I’ve obviously paid tax on my employment wage regardless of my self-employed figures, so was wondering if I should be entitled to anything. Also, I left employment at the end of May so will I have to wait till next year to claim any rebate I’m due from April till May?

  18. Ola says:

    What happens if you have more than one job?

  19. Laura says:

    Hi, I have recently lost my job due to ill health, after being off sick but still being paid for 8 months. Someone has mentioned to me that I should be entitled to claim back the tax that I have paid. Os this likely to be true?

  20. kathleen halpin says:

    I started receiving state pension in may and will retire at the end of august. How soon can I claim a tax refund

  21. duane says:

    i have only been working since 2011 and have been taxed on all my wages can i claim some back?

  22. denis white says:

    9 years working 3 weeks off sick can i get tax back

  23. keith says:

    i have not done my self assessment for 5 years and dont have all my tax records wat should i do

  24. ChrisD says:

    I have worked continously for the same Company for the last 6 years…. I think most people I know have been in continuos employment too but not sure, but would I be entitled to any tax back?

  25. m jones says:

    i have worked for 28 mths after retirement can i claim any tax back now i am finishing for good

  26. Joan says:


    Can I claim my tax back from 2004?

  27. Joan says:


    Can i recalculate my tax from 2004?
    What I need to do?

  28. michael says:

    i have worked for the same company for 10 years and have never had a tax rebate is this right? im married with 3 children and im 26, also if i left my job would i get a tax rebate?

  29. Carol says:

    Last year i overpaid my tax. The tax office have now adjusted my tax code to give me back this tax. Can i not have it back in a lump sum it is £2000?

  30. anon says:

    i chose to take a 2 year break from work, i made no claims for any money, i have just started work again,am i entitled to anything?

  31. Mary M says:

    I worked full time in London from 1984-1988. Am I due a refund?

  32. Gemma owen says:

    hi am I entitled to a tax rebate as been on maternity leave

  33. naz says:

    i stopped working in sept10 in between the tax year would i be entitled to a tax refund?

  34. David says:

    I am a self employed plumber, I seem to be paying quite high tax in my opinion, how do I go about finding out if I would qualify for a tax rebate?

  35. kavin mak says:

    Hi there!
    I am from INDIA.I have been offered 3 yrs term in inter company transfer in UK. My employer have given me a lumpsum gross package without dividing it into any heads. Can I claim tax refund on Housing/commuting/council tax etc after end of financial year.

Leave a Reply