Allowable Tax Expenses On Renting A House

If so, you will almost certainly have to pay tax on your rental income.  However, there are various tax allowances and tax expenses that you can claim to reduce the amount of tax that you will be liable for.  Here’s our guide to what you can claim – and what you can’t claim – as tax allowances when letting property.

Allowable expenses on renting a house

There are various tax expenses that you can deduct from your rental income.  These include:

  • Interest on property loans
  • Rent, ground rent and service charges
  • Accountant’s fees
  • Letting agent’s fees
  • Any utility bills or Council Tax that you pay
  • Maintenance and repairs to the property
  • Other costs of letting the property (gardening, cleaning, costs of advertising)

Reporting your allowable tax expenses

If your annual income from the letting for the tax year 2009-10 is under £68,000 (before you have deducted your tax expenses) you should include the total expenses on your tax return.  If your annual letting income is over £68,000, you will have to provide a breakdown of your expenses.

You should also remember that you can only claim tax expenses that are solely for running your property letting business.  If the tax expense is only partly for running your business (or if you use the property yourself) then you may only be able to claim a portion of it.

Expenses that you are not allowed to claim

There are various tax expenses that you are not permitted to deduct from your letting income.  These include:

  • Improvements to the property. You are permitted to claim maintenance and repairs, but you cannot claim improvements to the property (a conservatory or extension, for example)
  • Personal costs that are not to do with your property letting business
  • ‘Capital’ costs such as furniture or the property itself

Allowances that can reduce your taxable profit

Capital costs include expenditure you make on assets such as furniture.  Whilst there are different types of tax allowance that you can claim for your capital costs they do vary according to the type of property letting.

For furniture and equipment provided with a furnished residential letting (excluding furnished holiday lettings) you can claim a ‘wear and tear’ allowance.  The allowance is 10 per cent of the ‘net rent’.

Alternatively, you can claim a ‘renewals’ allowance. This covers the cost of replacing furniture or equipment. To work out your ‘renewals’ allowance you should take the cost of the replacement item and deduct from it:

  • The amount you sold the old item for
  • Anything additional that you paid for a superior replacement

Once you’ve chosen which of these allowances to claim for a property, you are not permitted to switch between them from year to year.



  1. Patricia says:

    How much per mile should I be claiming for collecting the rent etc
    I rent out a couple of houses.
    Thank you

  2. Heather Stubbs says:


    As with M Patison and W Smith my question also. We have had to relocate due to jobs and rent out our family home, yet live in military accomodation.

  3. W Smith says:

    As with M Patinson I am also in the army. Can I claim the rent I pay for my army house as an expence against my rental income from my family home?

  4. M Patinson says:

    I am a serving member of Armed Forces & I rent my family house out while my family & I live & pay rent in military quarters. As my family house is my one & only property, am I able to claim the rents I pay for my military property as an expense on my income from my rent receive from my family home.

  5. douglas duncanson says:

    I have a yard which is used by my wife and I and also by the tenants in the cottage we own which is some 15yds from our house. We have had to have it re-tarmacadamed recently and I wonder whether I should be able to claim 50% of that cost as tax deductible. Thks.

  6. Martin says:

    My wife and I jointly own a let property. My total taxable income (including half the rental profit)is well below the personal allowance, but my wife’s is well above it (she has other taxable income as well as her half of the rental profit).As I do all the admin – everything a property management agent would do – can I charge my wife a fee and thus reduce her tax bill without incurring a bill for myself?

  7. Miss heather eastland says:

    I am a cleaner in a state school and wear a apson,can i claim back washing expences

Leave a Reply