May, 2017

52 Ways to Save Tax #32

Save tax

Pay less tax

There are dozens of jobs across the UK that require you to wear a certain type of clothing or a uniform.

Many people don’t realise that it is possible to deduct the cost of your work clothing/uniform from your tax bill, reducing the amount of tax that you pay. For example, if you’re  prison officer you can claim £80 a year.

In the latest part of our “52 Ways to Save Tax” series, we look at how you pay less tax by claiming for the cost of your work clothing.

52 Ways to Save Tax – Part 32: Claim back the cost of your work clothes

Many professions require you to wear particular clothing or a uniform. Under the current rules, you may be able to claim tax relief from HM Revenue and Customs on the cost of cleaning, repairing or repairing specialist clothing.

Remember that you can’t claim tax relief on the initial cost of buying clothing for work.

You can claim:

  • The amount that you spent – for which you will need receipts as evidence
  • A ‘flat rate deduction’, agreed by HMRC – no receipts/evidence is needed

Flat rate deductions are the amounts that HMRC have agreed people in certain professions can claim every year, and they are based on what HRMC believes people typically spend.

These flat rate deductions are typically between £60 and £140 per year, depending on your occupation. A list of occupations is published by HMRC (find it here). If your occupation isn’t listed then you could still claim a standard annual amount of £60.

Some examples of the amount of tax relief you can claim

HMRC has published a list of the flat rate deductions that certain professions are able to claim every year. The amount varies from job to job, but some examples of the amount of tax relief that you can claim each year include:

  • Joiners and carpenters – £140
  • Stone masons – £120
  • Blacksmiths – £140
  • Motor mechanics in garage repair shop – £120
  • All food workers – £60
  • Glass workers – £80
  • Nurses and midwives – £125
  • Hospital porters and ward clerks – £125
  • Police officers – £140
  • Uniformed prison officers – £80
  • Dockers – £80
  • All quarry workers – £100
  • Carpenters and cabinet makers – £140

There are a number of other professions in the list – check here to see if you can claim tax relief on the cost of your work clothing. Remember that you could still claim an annual amount of £60 even if your profession isn’t listed.