Inland Revenue P45 – The Facts

Each week visitors to Tax Fix ask us questions about P45s. Our tax experts have compiled a number of the most frequently asked questions and answers:

What is a P45?

A P45 is a tax document which is given to you by your employer after you have stopped working or are made redundant.

What does a P45 show?

Your P45 will show the following information:

• Your PAYE reference number
  • The tax code you were on
  • Your national insurance number
  • The date you finished working for your employer
  • Your income for the tax year
  • The amount you paid in tax in the tax year

Why is there more then one part to my P45?

A P45 has four parts; however you may only see 3 because your employer will retain and send the first part to the Inland Revenue. When you start a new job you should give Part 2 and Part 3 to your new employer. You should keep the remaining part (1A) for your own records.

What if I have lost my P45 or am not given one?

Your employer is required by law to give you a P45 and should do so automatically. If you have lost your P45 you can ask your former employer for a statement of earnings which is a sufficient replacement when claiming a tax refund. You can also download a form P46 to give to your new employer so you are not put on an emergency tax code on your new job.

How do I know if I am due a tax refund?

There should be a tax figure and an income figure on your P45 or statement of earnings. Input these amounts into our tax rebate calculator and it will calculate whether you are due a tax rebate.

What if I do not want to or am unable to get my statement of earnings?

We can help you apply for a tax rebate from the Inland Revenue even if you do not have all your P45s or P60s. We can obtain a maximum of two statement of earnings from previous employers.

1. david pritchard says:

i am looking in to know if i have been payed right from redundency,i dont know what is the last date on my p45 my employers will not tell me what the proper amount is what i am due. who an where do i get copies of my p45s. thank you david pritchard 07940271474

2. lama says:

if i am still due to pay underpaid tax, still can i claim my refund if i am leaving uk permanently? i have worked 2 and half years here in the uk and my average earning was almost 15000+ a year.

3. Barbara W says:

I left my employment in June and have been on Job Seekers. I’m now working with an agency and they require my P45 Parts 2 and 3. But the Job Centre did not send me an updated Part 3, in fact no Part 3. After speaking to them, they say they do not send them. What do I do.

4. steve says:

i worked in holland for 2 weeks and paid dutch tax and uk ni,i received a P45 when the job finished,will i have to fill out a tax return,i am unemployed at the moment.i earnt £900 in the 2 weeks.

5. Jimmy 2012 says:

Hiya. My works gave everyone their p45 twice in the last couple of years & they say its just because they changed the payroll name of the company.A few people are very worried about loosing our employment of service but our work said it won’t affect it but now we just found out our company’s up for sale.do you think they are telling the truth or if they could be breaking the law?

6. cath says:

i have just had a p45 of my old boss but it says i have a student loan but i have bever had one. what do i do?

7. Petrina says:

is it legal to be given your p45 and then told was a mistake it was to be the following week and they still want us to work for them for another week we are being made redundant thanks

8. Jennifer Crowder says:

Unfortunately, I have washed my daughter’s (Jennifer Anne Crowder, dob ; 6 June 1984)P45 and she has just started a new job. She is on emergency tax code and we need to know how she can reclaim the tax owed.

9. Alison Robertson says:

What do i do with my P45 from previous job (Feb 2012) if my new employer is not registered for PAYE and my pay is well below tax and NIC threshhold (started June 2012)

10. Alison Robertson says:

11. Alison Robertson says:

12. Alison Robertson says:

13. Natalie Miller says:

I left my previous job on 12th April however on my p45 my leaving date is 11th May. I started my new job on 16th April however my new employed put my start date on 15th May so I didn’t pay double tax for my first working month….now I have found out I am pregnant and will only be entitled to full maternity pay if I started work on 16th April – my true start date! Please help!

14. margaret hopkins says:

Please do not print my name or pps nu on your page for every one to read. thank you.

15. margaret hopkins says:

16. margaret hopkins says:

17. margaret hopkins says:

18. margaret hopkins says:

2814441M.
    I have being on Ilness benifit for the last 8 years. As I have not worked since, the Social Illness department needs my P.45 now.
    My last enployer has no records kecpt in their office from 2003, where do I look for my P.45 I being in touch with the Dublin office and they keep reffering me back to Galway. They can’t help either. Please let me know who I should get in touch to get a copy of my P.45

19. margaret hopkins says:

2814441M.

20. margaret hopkins says:

2814441M.

21. margaret hopkins says:

2814441M.

22. Ms G says:

I’ve had my contract terminated, my P45 is a photocopy not original, my name is incorrectly spelled and the date of leaving is the date I was given my notice not my final date of employment. Does any of this require action from me?

23. Julie says:

My partner was made redundant and his employer is refusing to give him his p45 is there any other way of getting it

24. Jimmy says:

The total pay section on my P45 is that amount before tax is deducted (the amount below) or is the amount shown after the tax amount is deducted?

I’m confused?!

Many thanks

25. Scot says:

My employer is changing our payday from the 21st of the month to the 31st.
    We have been told that we may receive a P45 but it is nothing to worry about as is it is part of the payday change.
    Why will we be receiving a P45 and should I be concerned?

26. David Caswell says:

Would a person employed by the state be paid if they did not first submit a P45 from a previous employer? If they were paid, for how long would this continue, before the state employer demanded a P45 be handed in?

27. Troy Joyner says:

I and many others at work today have been sent a HR communication regarding consolidation of all payroll services going into one. the following statement from my letter states,

‘Some of you may also find enclosed a blank form P45 Part 1A if as a consequence of the recent change to “One Payroll” you have changed employer. This was mentioned in the connect “One Payroll Communication” of 3 April 2012, and is purely for administrative reasons following the transfer of your employer for PAYE purposes’

My P45 Part 1A is not blank. in section 4 (leaving date) it is completed as 31.03.2012. all my other details are also completed. My question is, should this form be blank, if as stated in my letter it should be?
    If so, do I need to get it amended?
    What would happen if I was made redundant within next 12 months? My previous 5 years employment looks like it ended on 31.03.2012?
    Please advise.

28. Gail Pattinson says:

Can I claim back charges on a tax charge from a few years ago?

29. john towns says:

i have lost my p45 and just started a new job just sign of jobseeker

30. Kirsty says:

Hi i just received my p45, all of the information on the p45 is wrong and its in black and white. I am going to ring HMR tomorrow. however im concerned about what will happen as the previous employer filled it in and im having nothing but trouble with him.

31. Mrs Norma Patricia Storer says:

I have been made redundent on the 17th march no payment or p45 has been given yet how long do i have to wait

32. Rowland says:

I was self employed how do I get my p45?

33. Tracey says:

Hiya my current work was sent a letter from hm revenue & customs with a new tax code. We couldnt understand why.. When i phoned hm revenue up and asked, they said i needed to hand in a jobseekers allowance??? am so confused and dont know what to do. i work part time and dont make a lot of money.

34. Toyah says:

when should i legally receive my last pay

35. Michael says:

Can I get tax refund online?the problem is,that I’m abroad and I dont have a p45 .What can I do in this situation?

36. Gary says:

I left my paye job at the end of 2011 and am setting up a company so have registered as self employed, am I due a tax rebate and will it come automatically after I fill in my self assessment?

37. Colin says:

I recently 2nd March left my job and wish to go self employed but I am taking some time out and not regestering until I start in the new tax year Apr 6th is this o.k and in the mean time what should I do with my p45.

38. Graine Shelton says:

I’m asking on behalf on my daughter. Please can you tell me what she can do if her previous employer has written the wrong date of leaving her employment on her P45. My daughter hasn’t got a computer, so that’s why she has asked me for some help. She is VERY worried and concerned about this. Thank you for your help.

39. Graine Shelton says:

40. Graine Shelton says:

41. Graine Shelton says:

42. Emma says:

I have just been given my p45, what does this mean?

43. Les says:

My employer told me I wasn’t up to scratch but expected me to work a months notice. I said if I am not good enough I am leaving now. Now they are witholding my P45 until I tell them in writing I am leaving as of yesterday. Can they do this.

44. Grace says:

I was made redundant after the business went bust and my employer gave everyone a p45 except me. I asked him about it and he said he just hadn’t received one for me, but i asked him to get one for me and he said he had spoke to someone from HMRC and they said I didn’t need one as i am a student, but other people i worked with were students and they got their p45 with no trouble. He wont do anything about it, what can i do??
    I don’t have a new job yet but what do i do when i get one? PLEASE HELP! Thank you

45. robert reeve says:

My past employer will not give me a P45

46. anonmous says:

Can i back dated my resignation and if i do can my employer not paying me.

47. Craig Reeves says:

I was laid off due to lack of work in Nov 2011, about 3 weeks ago I recieved my P45 through the post with an explanation and my old boss won’t give a reason. does this mean I’ve been sacked now???

48. Debbie says:

My boss has recently moved pub’s, they have given us our p45’s but we are still awaiting outstanding holiday pay. We are now under new management and have new contracts. can anyone offer some advise?

49. Debbie says:

I work in a local pub and recently my boss changed to another pub, but the problem being we have received our P45 from the employer but we have not received our remaining holiday pay. we are now under new management.

Can any one offer any advice?

50. vikki says:

can you help me please my husband has just received a letter say he owes £300.00 tax for year ending 2011 but in jan2010 his doctor put him on the sick his work paid him sick money till the july and then he had to go on to contrbution esa which was stopped in jan2011 then at the end of jan2011 he was made redundant which he paid tax on so can you tellwhy he owes them money please