Income Tax Back for Mothers Returning to Work

Having children can end up costing you hundreds of thousands of pounds during your lifetime. It can also be a very stressful time for both parents. Invariably at least one of the parents will have to take some time off work and this can have a detrimental effect on your financial affairs that you may not have anticipated.

There is however a little known financial benefit that parents can take advantage of. If you have left work in the last 6 years to look after your baby, it is highly likely that you could be due a large income tax refund.

A great number of parents ask, “How can I claim tax back?” The reason why this is possible is because you probably stopped working part way through the tax year, resulting in your tax free allowance being calculated incorrectly.

The Inland Revenue very rarely contacts people to let them know they have paid too much tax, and the onus is on you to apply for a tax refund.

1. william higton says:

I work full time and earn Approx £45000, my partner went on maternity leave at the end of November 2012 and is due to go back to work in May 2013, she currently only gets SMP. She earns approx £36000 when working Full Time but wants to work part time, are we entitled to Tax Credit as she earns a lot less currently??

2. sanam says:

i have worked for the last 8 years as a teacher and had a baby in August.I go back in July, i took a year maternity. Would i be entitled to any tax rebate

3. Geraldine says:

I’m going on maternity leave in July with a salary of 20,000. Will I be due a rebate?

4. anu says:

hi,i just want to ask if i dont go back to work after having 9 months off for my maternity leave would i able to get any money help from my employer.thanx

5. Frances says:

I am going on maternity leave in January 2013 and will be likely to be made redundant on 31st March 2013. My employer has told me that at the end of March all my remaining SMP will be paid to me as the company is going to be abolished. This will mean I will be taxed at 20% for the whole of my SMP. I am not intending on working in 2013-14, can I claim a tax rebate for that money that was paid upfront in tax year 2011-12 but not really due to me until 2013-14.

Thanks for any help.

6. Natalie says:

I went on Maternity leave in October 2010 and took a year off work. I am entitled to a tax rebate for tax paid between April 2010 and October 2010?

7. Michelle says:

hi, i went on maternity leave in jan 2011 & am due back to work in dec 2011, will i be intitled to a tax rebate?

8. mary says:

I went on maternity leave in November 2010 and just returned in august.am entitled to a tax rebate

9. mary says:

10. Carrie says:

Hello, does anyone know about income tax return for mothers not returning after maternity leave?

11. ruby says:

when working out what my income will be for the next year to claim tax credits do i include all maternity pay?

12. marlene crossan says:

my employer is not giving me payslips and is fobbing me off next week,thats been since my start date, single mother starting work, also been served eviction notice from landlord{rwenfrewshire council] help

13. Dawn Jevons says:

in 2005 i left at christmas to have my baby – i returned to work in june 2006 and i havent recieved no tax back.
    Shhould i be entitled to something/

14. Mike says:

My wife starting paying tax at the normal rate on a salary of £26,500 in respect of the tax year 2010-2011.
    She left work on maternity leave on the WC 6th September 2010 and got 6 weeks on full pay.
    As such, her SMP commenced on the WC 18th October 2010 meaning she had approx 24 weeks in this year when she will only be getting paid SMP.
    Will she be due a refund at the end of this tax year and if so, how do we going about requesting this?

Many thanks

15. Mike says:

My wife starting paying tax at the normal rate on a salary of £26,500 in respect of the tax year 2010-2100.
    As such, her SMP commenced on the WC 18th October 2011 meaning she had approx 24 weeks in this year when she will only be getting paid SMP.

Many thanks

16. Kristy says:

If my total income for the 12 months i was on Maternity was over £7000 but £3000 of this was maternity pay is the maternity pay included?

17. pauline says:

my maternity leave is over.due to family circumstances i need to take sick leave for a while,but have been told i will lose a possible tax rebate and have to pay my maternity money back.

18. michaela says:

hi im a new mum and i have been told i will be in titeld to claim back my tax is that right and if so how will i go about it?

when will i get my p60

Anonymous: If you were working for a company on the last day of the tax year (April 5th) you should get a P60, sometime between April 6th and the 1st June.

I am not returning to work after adoption leave of 9 months. Am I entitled to a tax rebate?

• admin says:

What was your income over the last 12 months that you were off on Maternity leave and the 3 months you were at your job?

You should get a P60 shortly which would show you this.

If the income for the 12 months is below £6,475 then you can claim back all of the tax that you paid. If it is more you still may be entitled to a tax refund but it may not be 100% of the tax that you paid.

When you get your P60 you can make a claim by going to: