How to Apply for a Tax Rebate

How to Apply for a Tax Rebate from the Inland Revenue

Each year over £300 million goes unclaimed in tax rebates. If you have worked in the UK there are a variety of reasons why you might be due a tax refund. Here our tax expert outlines how to apply for a tax rebate if you think you might be due one:

1. Who can apply for a tax rebate?
  2. Can I check if I’m able to apply for a tax rebate?
  3. What if I do not have a P60?
  4. How many years can I claim a tax rebate for?
  5. How do I apply for my tax rebate?
  6. How long does the process take?
  7. What if I want to apply for a tax rebate myself?
  8. Can I apply for a NI rebate also?

Who can apply for a tax rebate?
There are a number of reasons why you might be due a tax rebate from the Inland Revenue. The most common reasons are:

• Leaving the UK for over 3 months
  • Working whilst a student
  • Being made unemployed
  • Changing jobs frequently
  • Being on an emergency tax code
  • Retiring

This is not an exhaustive list, and there could be a variety of other reasons why you could be eligible for a tax rebate.

Can I check if I’m able to apply for a tax rebate?
Yes. At the end of each tax year (April 5th) you should be given a P60 from your employer. Your P60 will show how much tax you have paid and how much you have earned in the year. Use these totals and put them in our tax rebate calculator, which will provide an estimate of any refund due.

What if I do not have a P60?
No problem. If you were not given a P60 from your employer or if you have lost the one you were given, you can get a replacement document. A replacement for a P60 is known as a ‘statement of earnings’. Your employer or previous employer is required by law to provide a statement of earnings, upon request, for the last 6 years. Write a letter to the payroll department asking for your statement of earnings. We can send you a template letter if you like.

How many years can I claim a tax rebate for?
You can claim back as far as 6 years in arrears. If you have had a break from work, or have been a student any time in the last 6 years, check your P60s or statement of earnings as you may be due a refund.

How do I apply for my tax rebate?
Once you have your P45/P60 or statement of earnings, simply send them, together with your tax refund application to us and we will process your application.

How long does the process take?
We normally submit your claims within 7 days, and then we have to wait for the Inland Revenue to issue the cheque, which can take between 30-45 days.

What if I want to apply for a tax rebate myself?
We are more then happy to give you as much advice and help as we can to help you claim your tax rebate from the Inland Revenue. If you would like to claim your tax rebate yourself, send your P45/P60 and/or statement of earnings together with a covering letter and a P85/P86 if applicable, as well as a P91 to your local tax office.

Can I apply for a NI rebate also?
Everyone who is resident within the UK can claim back a part of their National Insurance Contributions. An NI (National Insurance) refund can be claimed at any time and only needs to be done once. After that it is automatically done for you each year. Press on the link to claim a national insurance rebate.

1. Brett Priestley says:

I have been told i am being assessed for a tax refund for 4 year from 2008/09 to 2011/12 will they calculate these years together or will i receive 4 individual rebates ?

2. marc colominas says:

Hi there!
    I have worked nearly five and a half years in the UK. In the end of July 2012 I’ve moved for good to Brazil.
    I would like to clarify if I am eligible to claim for tax rebates, I am European and have paid tax all through these years.
    I won’t come back to leave in the UK.
    How do you guys could help me with this process? Which documents do I have to present?
    Shhould I also claim for national insurance rebate?
    I called the Revenue HM and they said I ould only claim for over paid tax for my last year but I think I didn’t make myself clear about my rights.
    I look forward to hear from you .
    Thank you very much for your attention.
    Best regards,
    MArc Colominas

3. paula hickey says:

when i applied for a tax rebate the told me i was in arrears can you tell me why and how the company i work for tax me every week

4. Carlos says:

Hello,

I am Portuguese, and I worked in the UK for 12 years. I have always paid the correct tax amount each tax year. But can I claim all the tax I have paid in these last 12 years back when leaving the UK?

Thank you!

5. phillip jones says:

im trying to find out if im due a rebate..i need a form to fill in first tho and i can not download on my computer.so how do i get the form.thanks

6. Chris Moran says:

Do I need to claim for a tax rebate year on year?

7. B.Bailey says:

I’m 65 and have recently paid NI on my two weeks earnings,can I claim this back? If so how do I do it?

8. natasha says:

i had a letter of the tax people with my notice of codeing and it said that i an entitled to £8105 is that right and can i claim that back

9. Jamie Woodward says:

The company I used to work for no longer exsists can I still ask them for a statement of earnings over the period I worked for them?

10. kay says:

can my old enployer take money they saay i owe them out of my tax rebate

11. shafqat mohammad says:

Dear sir/madam

I send the from on 30th july by post but i am not
    sure you resived or not.
    so please let me if get tax rebat from

thank you.

12. Alborz Izadi says:

I’m back tracking all the tax I’ve paid over the years, but I don’t have any P60/P45 forms.

I know that I was on an emergency tax bracket before I was a student (BR/M) and that I paid tax during my employment at Lloyds TSB; at which point I was a full time student.

What process do I need to go through to apply for the necessary returns?