How do you find out if you are due a tax rebate…

how do you find out  if I are due a tax rebate

This short article will help you to find out if you may be due a tax rebate from the Inland Revenue. If you can not find the answer to your question, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our tax refund team.

Who can claim a tax refund?
Basically anyone who has over paid income tax. There could be a variety of reasons why you are due a tax refund including:

• Leaving the country
  • Working while a student and earning below the tax free allowance
  • Retiring from work
  • Being made unemployed
  • Being on an emergency tax code.

How do I find out if I am due a tax rebate?
If you have been in the same job for over a year it is unlikely that you will be due a tax rebate.

You can still check and so can everyone else by using their P60s which should be given to you by your employer at the end of each tax year (around April 5th).

Input your total income and total tax paid for the year from your P60 into our tax rebate calculator and it will show you if you are due a tax refund.

I have lost my P60/P45 – Can I still claim/check
Yes. All you can check using your payslips.

Your pay slips should also tell you how much you have paid in tax and how much you have earned in the tax year.

Alternatively you can ask your employer or former employer for a ‘statement of earnings’ on headed paper. Your statement of earnings will show the same information as a P60 and can be used as a replacement when claiming a tax rebate.

Your employer is required by the data protection act to provide a statement of earnings.

How do I go about applying for a tax rebate?
We provide a free assessment and old charge a fee of 17.5% if you are due a tax rebate. You can make a claim online now.

When does my tax rebate expire?
You can claim a tax rebate for any time in the last 6 years. To avoid the possibility of your tax rebate expiring it is advisable to claim as soon as possible.

1. mary says:

I have not claimed my tax for the past 6 can I still claim?

2. tracy butchart says:

ive worked and paid tax since i was 17 and in 20 years have never had a tax rebate. how do i find out if im owed any money??

3. luke says:

if i did not work all year can i claim all the tax i paid back

4. sheila says:

i have been working for 26 years and have recently finished am i entitled to any tax refund

5. goddess mitchell says:

I did not work in 2011 n a few off my friend have not also but they got a tax rebate but they never worked before n i have can i get a rebate also

6. scotty says:

hi ive been employed by the same company for over 10 years now, working long hrs and paying lots of tax, now most of my co-workers have been receiving rebates for no apparent reason or without applying for them, how would i know if i should be receiving a rebate too???
    thanks in advance

7. lee says:

If I’m due a tax rebate and I’ve moved address what do I need to do?

8. Juliette says:

Although I did not work for the year of 2011 I paid taxes for my home and car, does this entitle me to a refund?

9. carol says:

can i claime any of my tax back witch i pay monthly from my wages

10. Kathryn Tidd says:

I work part time as a teacher with a local authority. For the last two and a half years I have been undertaking masters and PhD level study which is relevant to my job. I have been paying my own fees (nearly £2000 p.a.). Can this be classed as a tax exempt expense in the same way as my professional union fees?

11. kenneth rudd says:

how can i find out if i am due a tax rebate??

12. Daniel Douglas says:

Hi I have been In my day job for about 3 years or more now but I have also been working as a doorman for approx 18 months and have also worked odd days here and there at a friends workplace helping out all jobs are on the books of course how do I no if I am entitled to a tax rebate? Thanks

13. Crystal says:

state of Ga.is holding their refund for me said need to fax w-2 to them for that year what if i cant remember where i worked

14. Tracy says:

I am not sure if i filed taxes last year i gad a job but cant remember when it was, cause i stayed at home with my son, is there anyway i can find out if i am waiting for anything in the mail for an old employer i know that have till Janusary 31 2012 to send in the mail, but can i find out sooner

15. Annon mum says:

I worked from 2003 – 2007 for a company , then change jobs to become a Foster career would I be entitled to a rebate?

16. colin says:

its my first year as being self employed and i only turned over just under 4 thousand pound but my set up costs came too just over 4 thousand do you know if im entitled to claim any expences back thank you

17. Nick says:

Ive worked for three companies this year and unfortunately two have gone into administration and have not recieved my my monthly tax voucher will the inland revenue have a record of how much tax I’ve paid for my self assessment

18. kellie says:

how can i find out if i got a tax rebate due or not

19. stephen clarke says:

i have had a few different jobs in the last 6 years including a lot of agency work is there a way to find out if im due anything without the p45s or p60s or old payslips i have also moved a lot in last 6 years

20. tax road. says:

I have bought a car and did not find any tax road in there.How do I know does my car still have got a Tax Road?If yes,How can I make a copy of Tax disk?Thank you.

21. will thornton says:

can i still apply for a tax rebate if i have no pay slips?

22. Hayley says:

Hi, How do i find out if i can recieve another p60 as i have lost mine?

23. Samantha says:

Is therer anyway u can find out, wen u are being paid ur tax?

24. Olive says:

Hi, I have been working in the same job for the past 2yrs and 8.5mths. I am now leaving the country. I have received tax back from the previous yrs but would like to know would I be due any from 2011??

25. Christophersword says:

i have filed for back taxes how do I find out when my check was or is going to be sent out

26. stephen george fairbairn says:

do i need to be self employed to recive a tax rebate?

27. Mark Mealing says:

Hello, I work for Airbus UK and worked abroad in France for the company from 2004-2009, my tax was equalized each year by Airbus and France, appart from my last 8 months, i’m sure that the requirement for the equalization process is every six months! I recieved a tax rebate each year of being abroad up to my last visit which ended in October 2009. My question is “how can i find out if i am owed a final tax rebate payment” Yours with thanks.

28. Nikki says:

I would like to know if i can claim any tax back from my last job which ended in march 2010. i only got 2 pay checks

NixT@hotmail.co.uk

29. terri says:

hi, my tax code is BR and on my p45, week1/month1 is crossed, i was on jsa from september to october and then got a part time job in october for about 3 weeks, i then got offered a job with more hours and so finished the previous job. my new job at argos started october and ended at the end of january, since then i have been back on jsa.
    do you think i will be due a tax refund? and if so, does the amount of jsa you’ve had get taken off the amount of tax refund you are due?
    im really confused!

terri: You may be due a tax refund, you can check at the end of the tax year (April 5th) using our tax calculator if you know how much earned and paid in tax in total during the tax year. Your JSA will count as earnings, so you should take this into account when you use the calculator.

30. Rowena says:

Hi there,

I was made redundant in nov 2007 and didn’t start a new job until April 2008. Will I be due a rebate for that year??

31. Gordon Turner says:

I am a contract worker, but not self employed, I pay full tax for the year but usually only work about 7 to 8 months of the year. what forms do i have to fill out to claim any tax owed to me?

32. donna ellam says:

i know i paid a lot of tax when i work from april 2007 to april/may 2008 but ive lost p60 and wage slips how do i claim my tax back x

donna ellam: If you have lost your P60 you can write to your employers at the time, and ask for a ‘statement of earnings’ on company headed paper which can be used as a replacement.

33. charlene mullen says:

if you have not worked for the full tax year can you claim back all tax you payed wen you were working?

charlene mullen: It depends on how much you have earned, if you have earned below the tax free allowance (currently £6475 but increasing to £7475 next year) then you can.

34. abbey says:

i have been working last 22year and i never claim
    tax rebate do i need to claim

35. Anon says:

I have just submitted my first tax return and have been informed i am eligable for quite a large refund, i didnt work in the year 2009-10 and only registered as self employed in august 2010, how am i eligable for such a large return?

Anon: It is hard to say without knowing your situation. Did you pay more tax than you should have, this is usually why you can claim a large tax refund.

36. Anon says:

I’ve had two seperate periods of working as a student of approx 6 months each but still paid tax while working during these periods, is it likely i’ll be due a rebate?

if so will i be able to request a ‘statement of earnings’ from my employer from August 07?

Anon: Did you earn under the tax free allowance (currently £6,475) in each tax year, if so you can claim all your tax back. If you earned over you still may be due a rebate, you can use our tax refund calculator to check. You can ask your previous employer for a statement of earnings, they must provide it and this can be used to claim your refund.

37. Danielle Hancock says:

I have had 2×2 jobs in the past and have moved address and don’t know if I am due a tax rebate? waht do I need to do

38. lee wilson says:

i have the letter in the house tellin me how much i am due but i am not working at the moment does that effect me claiming my tax reabte ?

lee wilson: You can make a claim for previous tax years but you will need to wait for the current tax year to finish before making a claim for this year.

i worked until oct 2009 in a job then left to go to a small company i left there in dec and they said i was paying tax but never gave me a wage slip…i have only worked for 4 weeks this year and not claimed any benefits could i be due any tax back..i paid in total £1300 tax..

Anonymous: It depends on how much you earned and paid in tax during the tax year (April 6th until April 5th of the following year). Input these two amounts into our tax calculator and it will tell you if you are due a tax rebate.

I have to pay tax on my company benefits (Company Car and Health Insurance) and also contribute to a Pension Scheme. Do you have anything that can help me calculate the tax I should be paying which includes tax payable on benefits?

45. mrs hair says:

i was self-employed for 24 years and stopped working in march 2009, am i due a tax rebate?

mrs hair: If you are self employed you should normally do a tax return. When you complete your tax return any refund is automatically calculated.

what if i did nt work the hole year april to april because i did april 09 to fed 10

im a self emplyed builder and have just left my last job and been messed around with money, my boss at th time had my UTR number and has been deducting 20% each week from my wage and says my tax is payed, i dont trust him so how can i find out if it has been payed or if he has pocketed the money ?

Anonymous: You can contact your local tax office and ask them what details they have on file for the amount of tax that you have paid.

I’ve been working for the same company for 10 years & never claimed a tax rebate. Am I entitled to a tax rebate?

Anonymous: It depends on how much you have earned and how much you have paid in tax. You can check using our tax rebate calculator and your P60. Usually if you have been working for the same company and not changed jobs or stopped working, you will have paid the correct amount of tax.

50. Tax Rebate says:

Hi can i still apply for a tax rebate for the year 2008/2009 or is it too late as new tax year has started