How a Student can Reclaim Tax

reclaim tax back if you work while a student

The number of people going to university and working whilst a student has increased over recent years. Our tax specialist answers some of the most common questions on the subject. If you don’t find an answer to your question below, please send us an E-mail:

I am a student in the UK. Can I claim a tax rebate?
Almost all students who work can claim a tax refund. If you live and work in the UK, you are given a tax free allowance. In the 2009/2010 tax year this was £6,475. Your tax free allowance is usually drip fed into your pay cheque throughout the year, so that you get part of the allowance in each pay packet. If, as a, student you earn below £6,475 or are only working during the summer or at Christmas, it is highly likely that you will not have been given your entire tax free allowance and therefore you will be eligible to claim a tax refund.

Often people think that just because they are a student they can claim a tax refund; this is incorrect. Only those students who earn less than the tax free allowance can claim all their tax back. They are not eligible simply because they are a student.

Can I claim back all the tax deducted from my student job?
If you earn below the tax free allowance (£6,475 in the 2009/2010 tax year) then you will be able to claim back all the tax that you have paid. If you have earned more, you will still be able to make a claim but it is unlikely you will be able to claim all your tax back.

How do I know how much my student tax refund will be?
When you stop working for your employer you should be given a P45. Alternatively, at the end of the tax year you should be given a P60. These documents will tell you how much you have paid in tax and how much you have earned. Put these totals into our tax refund calculator and it will calculate your tax refund due.

My employer did not give me a P60/P45. Can I still claim my student tax back?
Yes. Ask your employer for a ‘statement of earnings’. They are required by law to give you this if you ask for it. A statement of earnings is a sufficient replacement for a P60 or P45 for HMRC.

I am an International Student. Can I claim a tax refund?
Yes international students and domestic students are both eligible to make a claim for a tax refund if they have worked in the UK.

I was a student more than 4 years ago, is it too late to claim?
No. You can make a claim for up to 6 years in arrears. If you worked as a student anytime in the last 6 years, now is the time to make a claim, before it is too late.

How do I claim my student tax back?
There are two ways to make a claim. You can make a claim yourself or you can use a tax agent to help you. If you are making your tax refund claim yourself, you will need:

You will need to send the above documents to your tax office. A tax refund agent will obtain all the information required on your behalf and will submit your claim to the Inland Revenue and secure your refund for you.

Can I claim a National Insurance refund if I am a student?
If you are a student living in the UK you can claim a National Insurance refund.

1. lucie says:

My friend’s has gone into her account automatically, do we need to apply for tax rebate or will it be automatic?

2. Nita says:

Hi I have just finished a 3 year part time counselling degree and i did this whilst in full time employment. I earn over £20K, would i be due a tax refund?

3. Fiona says:

I am a student at college one day a week and work four days as an apprentice,I am in my 3rd year, am I entitledto a tax rebate, please can you reply.

4. maria says:

I was working while being a full time postgraduate student. My uni required a placement of 6 months in order to graduate. So, can I claim back tax for those 6 months? My employer decided to keep me in the job so I don’t have a P45. I was hired in a permanent contract from the beginning.

Thanks a lot,
    Maria

5. Micky says:

i work and clam for my tools to do my job,but now have started collage,can I clam back my collage fees

6. lincy says:

hi iam an international student planning to leave the contry august last ,my employer said to me they can issue the p45 in september only,in this situation how can i apply the tax refund?what all things do i need? thanks

7. Abara Ifeoma Anthonia says:

I am glad to tell you that I have not earned a quater of the amount that you stated and I have been tax. I started working with Greencore Kiventon through an agency called single resource but the first 5hrs I did, I was taxed and this kept repeating itself the subsequent work I have put in.

Please I will like to request for a refund.

8. Abara Ifeoma Anthonia says:

I got the answer to my question which i sent to your office regarding if student should pay tax. The response I got from your office is that a student can pay tax depending if he/she is earning a particular amount.
    I am glad to tell you that I have not earned a quater of this amount and I have been tax. I started working with Greencore Kiventon through an agency called single resource but the first 5hrs I did, I was taxed and this kept repeating itself the subsequent work I have put in.

Please I will like to request for a refund.
    Let me just give an instance: on the 13th of May, I did my first 5hrs but wen paid, i was taxed £5.60
    The next week I worked on 16, 20,21, wen i was paid I was taxed £13.80
    I also work in my university as a casual catering staff, the first day I worked was just 4hrs, I was taxed £6.20.

I am willing to forawrd my payslip to your office if need be.
    Will get the tax reference for my university were i do casual work.

9. Giovani says:

hi I’m working for 2 and a half years and paid 2500 for tax can I claim it back if I’m leaving the country for good thanks

10. how do i claim back NI says:

I work during vacation only and my annual earining is lower than NI primary threshold, can i claim back NI?

11. rakesh patel says:

i have work 2 year before and paid 2500 £ year for two year as student .and i m leaving this country permenant. is it possible for me to get tex back now for me

12. Nina says:

Hello, I have paid college fees in 2008-2010. Can I apply for a refund?

Nina: College fees are not tax deductible. However, did you work while you were studying? If so do you remember how much you earned? If it was below the tax free allowance you shouldn’t have paid any tax and if you did you can claim it all back.

13. Neil Metcalfe says:

Can I claim back or is there any change in my TAX code, if I am working full time but paying for a university degree course. Can I reclaim any of the course fee?

14. Clare says:

Is there a way to prevent the tax being taken off in the first place? The P38s form seems to be only for students working in vacations. I work part-time during the year as well but still do not earn over £6475. Can I hand in a P38s?

Clare: You can contact your local tax office and tell them about your situation, they may be able to alter your tax code to accommodate your circumstances.

15. Anne says:

My employer just me the Duplicate copy of the P60 instead of the original one because when they gave me the original copy of P60, they said that there was some errors on it so I return it to them and then after a few months I received the Duplicate copy only.

If I received only Duplicate copy, can I still claim my refund?

Do I need to get the following documents such as P91, P85/86, Cover letter,Form P38(S) “OR” only the Duplicate copy of P60 was already enough?