Do You Qualify For a Tax Rebate?

do you qualify for a tax refundAll over the country people are receiving their P60′s and many are collecting tax refunds from over payments of tax on their wages. You might see a friend or family member getting a tax refund and be wondering ‘Do I qualify for a tax rebate?’ This article will help to answer this and other questions for you.

1. Do I qualify for a tax rebate?
  2. What is the criteria for getting a tax refund?
  3. What is the deadline for claiming a tax rebate?
  4. Does claiming a tax refund affect my work permit?

Do I qualify for a tax rebate?

This will depend on how much you have earned and how much you have paid in tax within the year. We have updated our tax refund calculator which you can use to see if you qualify to make a claim. Just put your tax and income totals into the respective boxes and press ‘calculate’.

What is the criteria for getting a tax refund?

There are a number of reasons why you could be eligible. Including:

• Working part time
  • Studying and working at the same time
  • Being put on an emergency tax code
  • Leaving the UK
  • Earning below the tax free allowance (currently £6,475)
  • And a number of other reasons

What is the deadline for claiming a tax rebate?

deadline for claiming tax refundThe deadline used to be 6 years to make a tax refund claim but this has been reduced to 4. So if you think you could be due a tax refund from any time in the last 4 years, why not make a claim. The average refund amounts to hundreds of pounds and each year over £300,000,000 goes unclaimed. We recommend you do not wait for the deadline and make your claim as soon as possible because often the application process can take more time then expected.

Does claiming a tax refund affect my work permit?

Claiming a tax refund does not affect your eligibility to work in the UK. When you claim a tax refund you are simply claiming an overpayment of tax, which is rightfully yours.

Let us know in the comments if you have any questions about this article or if you need anything clarified.

1. Mario says:

I worked 6 months and the other 6 months i claimed unemployment am i eligible for a tax return

2. Mario says:

I worked 6 months and my other 6 months i claimed unemployment . Im going to claim my child as a dependant will i be eligible for a tax refund?

3. Trevor Maginn says:

Hello,
    I worked for a family buisness until it closed in oct 2010 now I didn’t get a job until aug 2011. In the 11 month period I didn’t apply to receive any benifits or claim back tax refund or even receive a redundancy amount, I worked there for 10 -12 yrs, full time. Could I possible apply for any rebates now?

4. Trevor Maginn says:

Hello,

5. sarah smith says:

i worked from 2006 to 2009 for the same company it was a job that i did not work 52 weeks of the year for the whole time i was there i earned £4963.17 – it says this on my p45, i paid tax of £145.20 for the whole time also, would i be entitled to any rebate?

6. Jack says:

I am owed a tax rebate but I was on job seekers allowance does it take that off on my tax rebate?

7. T says:

I am working as a dog handler on PAYE. I own the dog and i have just spent £11000 on a new van for transporting the dog to and from work. Can I claim any tax back for this van and or anything else.
    Regards Tom

8. Mick says:

Hi there. I was recently made redundant and checked the tax rebate calculator and it said i could be owed nearly 100 pounds. I recently applied and was granted the job seekers. Am i right in saying i cannot apply for the tax rebate until i stop claiming job seekers. When i do stop claiming ko seekers and restart work will alot of tax rebate be lost cause i was on job seekers.
    Many thanks
    Mick

9. Amy says:

Hi, I applied for my Tax rebate via post in January. 6 weeks ago I was told it was being released, then when I didn’t receive it I was told it was going throughout security, then I was told it had been stopped and nobody could tell me why. I keep calling to find out what’s going on, but nobody can tell me and they say they have to send internal emails and it will take 5 working days before I hear anything. However I have heard this 3 times and still nothing. Can you give me any advice on what I can do please? Thank you

10. HILARY POOLE says:

Iwas made redundant 31.12.10 and have been on jobseekers allowance since 13 1 11 am i entitled to any sort of rebate

11. peter ball says:

handed in my tax form to my accountant last october..he made an error on my expenses still waiting to hear about my tax rebate…also being charged £100 what do i do an how long do i wait before i should be cocerned

12. marie newell says:

I have worked continuously since leaving school without a break and am now 49 years old. Am I entitled to any tax relief or tax back as like everyone else, I am struggling with the exorbitant cost of living in the UK

marie newell: It all depends on how much you have earned and paid in taxes during the last 4 years. If you have overpaid tax you can make a claim. Usually if you have been working for a full year with the same employer you usually pay the correct amount of tax. You can check using our tax rebate calculator.

13. kenneth goodwin says:

hi

i am 49 years of age and have worked continously for the last 30 years, a colleague of mine has told me that i can apply for a tax rebate?

would you know whether this is correct or not?

thsnks you

14. Timmy Francis says:

in 2007 i worked for a company called s.m roofing i was there for about 6months then i got the sack then about 2 years later the company went bust ive still got my all my pay slips people have told me i can so im just askin

15. terrence dean says:

i sent my forms on monday the 8 august 2010 have you recived my forms please responed by e mail

16. ebs says:

I resigned from work last april after a continuous 3 years of work. My objective is to have a stint at running own business which has not taken effect yet. Unemployed but not claiming benefits, I dont intend to go back to employment until perhaps I am able to get the business off the ground. I anticipate another year or so. Could I claim any tax back?

ebs: If you are going to become self employed or the director of a company you will need to do a tax return for the year and any tax rebate should be calculated through this.

17. jade says:

Hi, I am recieving job seekers and i have just made a claim for tax back, will this affect my job seekers allowance or will i still recive it?

jade: When you claim a tax refund, you are claiming tax that you overpaid and should not have paid in the first place. It should have no affect on your JSA.

18. cs says:

are you entitled to the full tax free allowance even if you were in the uk for only 1 or 2 months working? or is it pro-rated down to 1 or two months.

19. hayley says:

Hi I currently work full time on £6 ph and have done for 2 years, I get taxed on my wages am I elegiable for a tax claim?

• admin says:

Hi Hayley,

How much did you earn roughly between April 2009 and April 2010?

If it was below £6,475 then you can claim back all of your tax as you will have earned below the tax free allowance.

If you have earned more you can still claim a tax refund but it may not be 100% of your tax paid.

Your tax refund will depend on how you earned and how much you paid in tax.

You can claim your tax refund by going to:

20. Emily says:

I worked for 6 months last year then was unemployed for the next 5, during which I claimed job seekers allowance for 1 month. For the whole year I earned about £8000 and paid almost £800 in tax, can I claim any of this back as I didnt work the whole year?

21. anna says:

I am holding a UK PERMENANT RESIDENT status, and I intend to leave UK for a while but may come back to the UK carry on living. if I apply for tax refund because I am leaving the country, will that affect my UK permenant residency status?

• admin says:

Hi Anna,

Claiming a tax refund does not affect your eligibility to work in the UK. Often people are due a tax refund when they leave the UK. If you return and work in the UK within the tax year you may need to pay tax.

22. Vicki Clifford says:

I work part time 3days a week could I be
    entitled to a tax rebate x

• admin says:

Yes, often people who work part time overpay tax and can then claim a tax refund. What determines if you are due a tax refund is how much you earn and how much you pay in tax during the year. If you earn below £6475 then you can claim back all of your tax. If you earn more you can still be due a tax refund but you may not be able to claim back 100% of it.